Brewer Fanatic

Ushers at Miller Park

panthernick

I think the Uecker seats sell out right away, I'd rather pay than stand in line and get their hours before the game, which i believe you gotta do to get Ueck seats. I think he said he got his tiks from a buddy.

Shouldn't be spitting seeds on the floor, usher probably should have just told you that. Slippery, unsafe, and saliva's like a health concern, isn't it?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, a very similar thing happened to me ealier this season. I was at my seat.... yes in the Terrace, but honestly, who cares... spitting seeds onto the floor infront of me. The guys behind me compained to the usher and he said he couldn't make me stop because it was in a contained area and not all over. Granted, they had their pile of peanut shells on the ground that they would kick under my seat when they took a break from eating them, but thats another story. I see them every week when I go (I have a 9 game pack) and they are always pissed at me, but since the one usher told them that, they won't compain and I won't change until someone else says so. And as a side note for where to stand.... I'll get terrace tickets all the time and stand out in RF in the 100's behind the handicapped people and no one cares. And for this fire hazard nightmare, wouldn't you rather have me closer to the door than 40 stories up? Not that it matters, but throwin it out there. No one has ever told me I couldn't stand there and this isn't grade school. What are they gonna say, go sit in your seat? You bought a ticket to see the game and to have the opprotunity to sit in a seat. No where on the ticket does it say you can't watch from a different place.... just not in anyone else's seat.

and demanding people sit in their seats and not walk around; get over it. They made those areas for fans to stand in and the stadium is built such that you not only can walk around but are encouraged to. This is a freaking baseball game. Walk around, have a good time, make some noise and get a little rowdy.
I think you are misunderstanding the whole big picture. Not everybody (14,000) can get up and leave the terrace level because they don't like their view. If you took the time to read the entire thread, you would have seen that I encouraged the fellar to walk around and have a good time. It's a two-part matter of ettitquette (why are you so special that you can do something 14,000 other people would love to do and why take the areas from those that paid for SRO when you have perfectly good seats that you paid for knowing you didnt like them prior to the purchase) and then a matter of logistics.

As for the guy claiming he works for the Brewers

Your 86 posts prove I don't have to go there. Spend some time on the board, get to know the good people around here and myself before taking a cheap one at my integrity. Thanks!

There are any number of reasons people would buy a 20 pack and then stand, including the following: (1) I don't think that they sell SRO 20 packs; (2) if you are meeting people at the ball park and they have seats in a different section; (3) personal comfort; (4) better or different sight lines; (5) annoying neighbors in your assigned seat.

There are many times that I have a seat (even a good seat) and just enjoy walking from place-to-place. I have always touted this as a feature of Miller Park. Generally, I believe that any problems with this issue will work themselves out (i.e., if there are more people standing, it becomes harder to see from the concourse areas and people will be more likely to go back to their seats).

On the other issue - spitting in public is not cool, whether it's a ballpark or mall. At the ballpark the players are allow to do it, but there is no reason that the fans should do so - get a cup - it's not that hard. On the other issues, however, it's a ball game not an opera performance.

As for the guy claiming he works for the Brewers and demanding people sit in their seats and not walk around; get over it.

There is no question this dude works for the Brewers. It is part of his job to ensure that people are safe and secure. He has been cool enough to give away seats to games for free on this site, so I would probably give him a little more respect than you are showing.

I think the Uecker seats sell out right away, I'd rather pay than stand in line and get their hours before the game, which i believe you gotta do to get Ueck seats. I think he said he got his tiks from a buddy.

Shouldn't be spitting seeds on the floor, usher probably should have just told you that. Slippery, unsafe, and saliva's like a health concern, isn't it?

I have a 20 game in the Field Bleachers that I do sit in.....but I go to most other games too with tickets from friends. I think I just crossed 50 games this week. Most of the tickets I get from friends are in the Terrace level.

I think this is just another example of inconsistent ushers at Miller Park. Depending on where you're sitting, it might be ok to spit seeds, stand up, cheer, yell obscenities, etc. Other sections, not so much. On the whole, the ushers are much better than the old cranky guys that haunted County Stadium.
Not to derail the thread, but I remember Brian of "Bob & Brian" on 102.9 FM talking about those old guys at County Stadium, and how one time when he took his daughters to a game for the first time, he told them "Now girls, these men are going to be very angry and yell at daddy. It's just something we have to go through to get to the fun baesball game, so don't cry. It's all right." I remember they'd basically yell at you to get into the parking spot they were sending you to.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I remember they'd basically yell at you to get into the parking spot they were sending you to.
Yeah, they use to have about 20 old guys lined up directing cars to there space. When we were younger and a bit more smart alecky, we would stop at every other one and ask them where we were supposed to go.

It still kills me now how people still have a hard time following the parking pattern at games...one in front, one in back, one in front, one in back. It's really not that difficult to figure out, yet people still tend to get confused. We could have a whole other thread on people parking at Miller Park.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My section (104) still has the cranky old guy usher. He's the gatekeeper for the Mercedes-Benz Fieldhouse. He's actually kind of nice if you are someone who follows rules. He just has that angry look to him. I see him smile when he gets a chance to pop beach balls with his pen. He only takes them away because that's his job, and he loves the reaction he gets when he holds the ball up and pops it.

There is a reason they don't give away free cups. That is how they handle inventory. If there is a cup missing and no corosponding sale, they are charged with giving away free soda and have to pay for the "missing soda". But I believe a lot of them now have small water/ice cups they will give away.

You are allowed to make a mess, but only at your own seat. Don't stand in a public spot and spit all over, do it at your seat or have a container. The usher that asked about the sunflower seeds into the bullpen probably didn't see it before. He's supposed to prevent anything flying into the bullpen, saw you spit, and asked you to stop. They don't ask the people in the bullpen if it's bothering them.

I pull the season ticket rank when in the parking lot. I can't stand the parking attendants and their (often) dumb decisions in the Mets lot.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

After reading through this thread, I've concluded that there should be no spitting on the floor, even at the seats.

How about using napkins to handle the mess? They're available all over the place.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I pull the season ticket rank when in the parking lot. I can't stand the parking attendants and their (often) dumb decisions in the Mets lot.

I couldn't agree more regarding a majority of the parking attendants. They act as if they are the secret service and are guarding the President. If I have to work a night game, I dread coming into work when parking attendants are already present. I understand the need to do your job, but I get stopped roughly 7 times and all of them look absolutely bewildered when I show them a parking pass. As if they don't know how to handle it. Then after seeing said pass, they attempt to send me in the total opposite direction that I need to go. And then once I pull into the Miller Lot, continuing on my way to the place I need to go, the attendant who is 50 yards ahead starts waving me down thinking I am going to park in the lot and he wants me park over by him. "No Sir, I'm going to the dock." "If you used that portable radio device on your hip instead of running 75 yards trying to track me down, you'd learn from the previous guy that I have a pass to park and won't be following your frantic waving motions." Some days, I just want to pay $8 and park in the farthest lot away that I can (Mets or Dodgers) and just avoid the frustration of having to explain 7-10 times what a parking pass is and where I need to go.

They aren't the people I have a problem with. I have a problem with the group of 22 yo's. Twice every half inning one is getting up to go to the rest room or visit the concession stand. I don't understand why their $7 beer can't wait two more batters.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

It's a courtesy thing. Most, if not all posters here, understand fan etiquette. Many bandwagoners, primarily those in their early 20s and families with several kids, enter and exit the rows during the middle of the game. I find it very irritating -- it's not difficult to practice common courtesy for the sake of fellow fans.

I hate it as much as anybody. But can imagine making an 80 year old woman or a mother with a small child hold their bladder? Won't happen.

Like the others have said those arent' the people I have problem with most of the time. I have heard that they really discourage people from getting up during innings at Turner Field in Atlanta. If you don't want to watch the game, fine don't. Just don't get up and disturb other people from their enjoyment of the game. I am not talking about standing up and cheering during the game either. I don't like the cursing either, but I am not going to get to upset about that. I just tell my kids not to repeat those words.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know who you are speaking of. I just can't see an usher enforcing it for one "genre" of people and then let the 80yr old woman go to the bathroom only to hear an uproar from the 20-somethings who just got told to remain in their seats. Uniform enforcement is fair, yet can't be obtained w/ this problem.

lcbj68c wrote:

Uniform enforcement is fair, yet can't be obtained w/ this problem.

I agree the enforcement should be uniform. All should be discouraged from getting up from their seats. People will still get up, but there isn't even an effort to keep people in their seats. They all treat it like watching TV at home. The etiquette needs to start somewhere. The logical place would be with the ushers. Maybe an announcement at the start of games to go along with the announcement to look out for flying objects. There is a whole laissez-faire attitude that just drives me nuts.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd be content, or more content, if ushers would make an effort to discourage people from moving around in the middle of an at-bat. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I keep being surprised by the utter obliviousness of people.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'd be content, or more content, if ushers would make an effort to discourage people from moving around in the middle of an at-bat. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I keep being surprised by the utter obliviousness of people.

I think we need a new version of the two-fisted slopper/slobber reminding people about what should be simple things like that. In my section I've had problems with people who are on their phone, walk to the end of the main aisle between sections (the end closest to the field) and proceed to stand up waving their arms back and forth like an idiot so whoever they are on the phone with can see them. Like it's so amazing that they are on the phone at the same time, yet one is on the opposite side fo the stadium (and of course they do it during the middle of the inning, blocking the view of many in the section).

Maybe its the hockey fan in me, but I've always wondered why the ushers aren't allowed to stop people from going back to their seat during an AB. At hockey games, you aren't allowed to go back until a stoppage in play. Now, I understand you can't stop people from getting up in the middle of an inning, but why not stop them from going back and causing the whole row to stand up for them? That will discourage a lot of people from leaving in the middle of the inning because they know they couldn't come back until after the inning.

Bank One Ballpark (Chase Field) had that policy for years. The ushers at the top of each section held a sign up during pitches and plays, which stated that fans were not allowed to return to their seats until a stoppage in play. It worked really well, at least I thought.

Unfortunately, they got rid of it this season. I asked one of the ushers about it when we were there for the Brewers series and she said that many fans complained, mostly about their food getting cold while they had to wait for a stoppage in play. So they got rid of it. It used to be nice, with hardly anybody getting in your way during game action. Now, it's just like any ballpark--pretty terrible with nearly constant interruptions.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived