Brewer Fanatic

Ushers at Miller Park

panthernick

I have had run ins with ushers as well that always seem to get out of hand pretty quick. However I don't think this type of situation deserves a complaint, they are just trying to do there job and it seems that communication is usually the key element of the situation. That for the most part can be attributed to an early baby boomer trying relay bad news to a generation x or y person. 9 times out of 10 it will not go well.

Final advice.... let it go and don't hold a grudge, I'd bet the usher has.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That said, all the banter regarding how much money you spend at Miller Park is really irrelevant. It kind of almost says, "I pay your salary." and I hate that false ideal.
I work in "customer service" myself (though in a much different setting), and I'd have to say one of my pet peeves is the "I'm important because of blah blah blah" attitude some people are quick to haul out - I'm a season ticket holder/taxpayer/alumnus/professor/whatever. Maybe you wanted to get across that you visit Miller Park enough to generally know how to behave there, but "pulling rank" like that is a good way to antagonize the service employee with whom you're dealing.

When I have had issues with Brewers employees (which fortunately has been uncommon), I save the "season ticket" stuff for the email I send later, and even then I don't wear it on my sleeve. In a case like panthernick's, I might say something like "I hope what I experienced Tuesday night is not indicative of this employee's usual conduct with customers; but I wanted to call it to your attention."

The calmer you can remain in a customer-employee dispute or a complaint situation, the more seriously you're likely to be taken. (Of course, that goes both ways.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I have had run ins with ushers as well that always seem to get out of hand pretty quick. However I don't think this type of situation deserves a complaint, they are just trying to do there job and it seems that communication is usually the key element of the situation. That for the most part can be attributed to an early baby boomer trying relay bad news to a generation x or y person. 9 times out of 10 it will not go well.

Final advice.... let it go and don't hold a grudge, I'd bet the usher has.

Definitely have. Just wanted to bring it up with the Brewerfan crowd and get everyone's feelings. I agree with parts of most peoples arguments and definitely appreciate them. As I said earlier, everyone has bad days and its not worth getting someone possibily fired for. Water under the bridge.

I'm surprised that everyone is in such a twist about the seeds. This is a BASEBALL game right? Eating sunflower seeds at a game is hardly unorthodox. Some of these ushers seem to get off on getting in people's face. He didn't commit a capital crime, and could've been asked politely to stop, which would still be a little absurd, imho. Again, we are talking baseball here, not the opera. The players spit loads of them in the dugout, but dude in the bleachers has to bring a receptacle? What's good enough for the millionaires we're there to watch should be enough for us.

TauPentaRei wrote:

If I'm the usher, I note the repulsive situation and use my authority to get 2 cups from the concession stand.

I walk over with the 2 cups, express (non-verbally, perhaps) my disapproval of the unconventional and un-hygienic mess and say "guys, please use these for your shells from now on."

So it appears both parties are "off base" here.

But since when did purchasing a 20 game pack bestow "season ticket holder" status? I don't mean to provoke, I mean to add "partial" in there somewhere.

Bingo. That was the way i used to handle those types of situations back in the day. In all honesty, the usher could have handled it better, but i don't view this as a big deal on either side.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I understand where you are coming from in general. However, it appears as if you were never in your seat to begin with. As a Brewers employee and specifically in safety, we can't have all 12,000+ from the terrace level wandering around in the RF corner of the loge level simply because "they don't like the view". If you buy a ticket for the terrace, remain in the terrace. Sure, visit other parts of the park...the kids area, the Metevante Club, fan zone, whatever, but don't stand around loitering in the Loge Level the entire 9 innings. If it were all just general admission, which is how you appear to be treating your ticket, wouldn't that be quite a silly situation? Seating is divided for reasons and ticketed patrons should at a minimum remain in the level they purchased for a majority of the game.

I understand where you are coming from in general. However, it appears as if you were never in your seat to begin with. As a Brewers employee and specifically in safety, we can't have all 12,000+ from the terrace level wandering around in the RF corner of the loge level simply because "they don't like the view". If you buy a ticket for the terrace, remain in the terrace.
I disagree. If this is the case how do you justify selling 2000 SRO tickets to the Cubs games?

2000 is one thing, but can you imagine 14,000 people from the Terrace Level standing in the RF corner because they don't like their terrace level view? It causes for safety hazards and evacution nightmares. Your ticket is not general admission, it allows for you to occupy a seat. You, yourself changing the terms of your ticket and deciding to wander wherever you please and stand around for the entire game in another level of the stadium that the Brewers and their safety contingency plans did not anticipate causes problems, especially if done in mass amounts. You want a standing room only ticket, buy one. You want a loge level ticket, buy one. Fire guidelines place occupancy restrictions on all levels and are in place for your safety. Again, it's ok to visit other areas of the stadium, it's what they are they for, but in moderation and the key word "visit". If you plan to stay on a certain level the entire game, just buy that ticket.

I had a similar situation once. I had tickets in the first row of section 101 right above the visitor's bullpen. Joe Beimel of the Dodgers was nice enough to hook me up with a bag of sunflower seeds, which my friends and I proceeded to consume. Some were spit onto the ground in front of us, some went to the floor of the bullpen. I didn't think it was an issue because 1. there is the security guy (not an usher) in the bullpen that is constantly watching the crowd and didn't seem to care when a small mess of sunflower shells started to build up on the floor of the bullpen and 2. the area around the player benches were already littered with sunflower shells from the players. Finally toward the end of the game an usher politely told me to stop spitting shells into the bullpen, for which I apologized and stopped spitting shells into the bullpen. Not quite the same situation, but thought I'd share.

2000 is one thing, but can you imagine 14,000 people from the Terrace Level standing in the RF corner because they don't like their terrace level view? It causes for safety hazards and evacution nightmares. Your ticket is not general admission, it allows for you to occupy a seat. You, yourself changing the terms of your ticket and deciding to wander wherever you please and stand around for the entire game in another level of the stadium that the Brewers and their safety contingency plans did not anticipate causes problems, especially if done in mass amounts. You want a standing room only ticket, buy one. You want a loge level ticket, buy one. Fire guidelines place occupancy restrictions on all levels and are in place for your safety. Again, it's ok to visit other areas of the stadium, it's what they are they for, but in moderation and the key word "visit". If you plan to stay on a certain level the entire game, just buy that ticket.

I think this issue could be addressed when this happens. Frankly, it never has become an issue enough for the Brewers to enforce anything. Until they do I will continue this practice as I'm sure plenty of other people do. In fact, the usher later in the game offered us handicapped seats behind the bleachers since we were ticket holders and didn't have SROs. Fire guidelines may require certain numbers, but if there is a big issue why attract people with tables and open sightlines? The Brewers have made Miller Park a fan friendly place that allows for the viewing of the game from many different vantage points. Once I am in the park it is my decision where I go (as long as I'm not in someone elses seat or blocking their view).

Fire guidelines may require certain numbers, but if there is a big issue why attract people with tables and open sightlines?

For people to sit at occassionally, while in passing. It's not intended to serve as a "seat" for you sit in or stand at for 9 innings. They made one for you, you purchased it ahead of time, likely knowing "the view" before you purchased, yet you make no attempt to get to your seat.

The Brewers have made Miller Park a fan friendly place that allows for the viewing of the game from many different vantage points. Once I am in the park it is my decision where I go.

Again, these fan friendly areas are not constructed for you to spend your entire time there. They are areas to visit and spend some time at, but not 9 innings. Your ticket is not general admission, where you just get to go where you want. There are reasons for your assigned seat, other than price structure.

Let me ask you this, if you don't intend to go to your seat and want to spend all that time on the loge level or field level, why not help the Brewers out in keeping things rationed by purchasing a seat where you intend to spend your time?

I hope no one threatens Prince or CC with ejection when they seed up the dugout.

A few years back, the guy next to my season ticket seats chewed tobacky, which I thought was gross, but he never said anything about my peanut shells, and he had entertaining Molitor drug stories, so big deal.

I can't get upset about sunflower seeds or much of anything that happens at Miller Park, which is kept so freaking clean.

Especially compared with the Calcutta sewer that is the Chicago version of Wrigley Field. I hope all the Andy Frain guys are Sox fans or at least Cubs haters, with the fans who urinate in cups and throw trash on the field. Bah.

Fire guidelines may require certain numbers, but if there is a big issue why attract people with tables and open sightlines?

For people to sit at occasionally, while in passing. It's not intended to serve as a "seat" for you sit in or stand at for 9 innings.

The Brewers have made Miller Park a fan friendly place that allows for the viewing of the game from many different vantage points. Once I am in the park it is my decision where I go.

Again, these fan friendly areas are not constructed for you to spend your entire time there. They are areas to visit and spend some time at, but not 9 innings.

So you are telling me the Brewers want you to at some point move along? That is ridiculous. The Brewers want you in the door and not in someone elses seat or blocking someone elses view. Beyond that, I'm sure they could care less. Could you imagine being in the store and having an employee say "time to go to your seat now". That makes no sense. Everything in the stadium is there for the enjoyment and to draw fans. What the fans do, within the rules, is up to them. If you show me a rule that says you must sit in your seat, or that there are guidelines on how long you can use things away from your seat, I will agree with you. Other than that I think you are completely incorrect.

Let me ask you this, if you don't intend to go to your seat and want to spend all that time on the loge level or field level, why not help the Brewers out in keeping things rationed by purchasing a seat where you intend to spend your time?

Because maybe we can't all afford to buy the tickets there. Therefore, we choose to stand for the whole game instead. Frankly, I'm done arguing about where you think I should be during game. Possibly you should become an usher and then you can make sure no one stands behind your section for an inordinate amount of time.

Because maybe we can't all afford to buy the tickets there. Therefore, we choose to stand for the whole game instead. Frankly, I'm done arguing about where you think I should be during game. Possibly you should become an usher and then you can make sure no one stands behind your section for an inordinate amount of time.

Gosh, No. I'm not taking a demotion to become an usher. There are just only so many of these open viewing areas in the stadium that are sold as SRO that in my mind, is taking away their seat or standing area. You have a seat you paid for, why not sit in it? Again, I'm sure everybody in the terrace would like a nice vantage point, but that's not possible, but I guess for a general few, why not take advantage of the system apparently.

Back to the usher issue, I think the reason why sunflower seeds are different for fans as opposed to players is because of the familiarity of the players amongst each other. The players are tested for drugs and disease on a routine basis and therefore play and eat and interact together without so much as worrying about one's saliva. Joe Schmo walking in the door, you never know what his saliva presents, would rather not have to come in contact with those bodily fluids on the floor in bunches.

I was actually standing in that exact area last night and before the game and a little bit into the game and I was taking my sunflower seed shells out of my mouth and throwing them on the ground. I even heard one usher say something to some other fans about sunflower seed spitting and my friend looked at me and laughed cause I was doing it before.

I think this is just another example of inconsistent ushers at Miller Park. Depending on where you're sitting, it might be ok to spit seeds, stand up, cheer, yell obscenities, etc. Other sections, not so much. On the whole, the ushers are much better than the old cranky guys that haunted County Stadium.

On the whole, the ushers are much better than the old cranky guys that haunted County Stadium.
Oh, come on now! Ya' gotta love the sportcoats! Don't taunt the sportcoats! And those caps! WOW!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/pitchleague/sgt56.jpg

(sorry, that's the best photo I can find)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really don't see a problem with spit it at all. I know Miller Park feels like a mall sometimes, but it's a ballpark. Maybe it's more of a "do that in your seat" kind of thing? I guess I haven't really seen people creating piles of shells outside their seats though. I" mean, it would be considered rude to throw your cups and wrappers in the corridors where as it is perfectly acceptable to leave them in your seating area.

As for the guy claiming he works for the Brewers and demanding people sit in their seats and not walk around; get over it. They made those areas for fans to stand in and the stadium is built such that you not only can walk around but are encouraged to. This is a freaking baseball game. Walk around, have a good time, make some noise and get a little rowdy. The ushers are pretty bad nowadays from people I've hear from. I tend to stay out of trouble so I haven't had issues. I also realize it isn't worth my time arguing with them. If they have a problem with me I tend to just walk away and do whatever I was doing somewhere else.

At the very least the usher should have brought you cups to spit into. It's their job to assist the fan and something like that would have been proper.

Archived