Brewer Fanatic

Grocery store etiquette

BoneDaddyKool
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was in line once and a couple in front of me didn't have enough cash on hand to pay for everything (they were like $5 short). Several options existed: take out a few items, use a credit card, etc. But no....the guy has to walk (yes he walked - no trot, or run) to his car at the end of the parking lot to get more money. Took him like 5 minutes while I stood there helpless because the lady behind me didn't want to change lines (can't blame her it was busy and I didn't have much to buy). It would have been one thing had he been old or something but this dude was in his 20's. Maybe he had bad knees but the thing that ticked me off is he really didn't seem to care he was holding everyone else up.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I can't stand the most of the grocery store is people leaving their carts in the parking lot, ESPECIALLY when the cart return is like 10 feet away from them. I noticed this was a lot more of an issue when I was in Phoenix for a week. I thought it was bad in Wisconsin, but it's nothing compared to what I saw there. I couldn't park in half of the lot because all the spots were filled with carts. One person puts a cart up against a light pole, then everyone else seems to think it's ok if they put theres there as well. You just walked through the whole grocery store, I think you can walk the extra 10-20 feet to put the cart away.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be human.

I think it's wrong to assume that someone should have to have and use a check card. I have both and have needed to write a check on occasion because I can't find my check card/left it at home/etc...
So, you have your check book with you but not your check/credit card? Isn't it easier to carry around a card than a whole book of checks?

As I mentioned in another post. I understand when there are times that you have to write a check. However, not in a grocery store (they all take credit or check cards). I use to get on my sister all the time because she would not use a check card. Her argument was that if she used a check card, she would forget to record the purchase. I convinced her that she did not need to record the purchase the instant she purchased something. She could put the receipt in her purse and record it later. She has finally started to use her check card.

Until someone can give me a valid reason for using physical checks over a check card, I don't know that it's wrong to assume everyone should us a check card.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Anyone ever call out someone with too many items in the express lane?

I've noticed a few places change their signs to "about" ten items (or 12 or 15) to give a little leeway.

But still there seems to be that person that knowingly exceeds the limit because they don't want to wait in the standard lines. Of course, I just scowl and think bad thoughts to myself, but wondering if anyone has ever confronted someone about abusing the express lane priviledges (or had it done to them).

The people who are too lazy to put their shopping cart away in the parking lot is pet peeve #1 for me. Is it bad etiquette to stand in front of the magazine racks for 4-5 minutes browsing the fantasy football mags when I have no desire to purchase them?

I think it's wrong to assume that someone should have to have and use a check card. I have both and have needed to write a check on occasion because I can't find my check card/left it at home/etc...
So, you have your check book with you but not your check/credit card? Isn't it easier to carry around a card than a whole book of checks?

As I mentioned in another post. I understand when there are times that you have to write a check. However, not in a grocery store (they all take credit or check cards). I use to get on my sister all the time because she would not use a check card. Her argument was that if she used a check card, she would forget to record the purchase. I convinced her that she did not need to record the purchase the instant she purchased something. She could put the receipt in her purse and record it later. She has finally started to use her check card.

Until someone can give me a valid reason for using physical checks over a check card, I don't know that it's wrong to assume everyone should us a check card.

Actually, I ALWAYS have my check book because I'm a girl and it's always in my purse, but I take my check card out and put it in a pocket, or throw it in my purse when I'm done with a transaction and don't want to take the time to put it back and then I switch purses and I'm without my check card.

I realize these are "girl-only" problems, but my point was that I've never been without my checkbook, but have found myself without my check card precisely because I always use it. It's not a choice of using the checks over the card, but a situation in which I don't have the card. Sadly, it happens a lot...

Actually, I ALWAYS have my check book because I'm a girl and it's always in my purse, but I take my check card out and put it in a pocket, or throw it in my purse when I'm done with a transaction and don't want to take the time to put it back and then I switch purses and I'm without my check card.

I realize these are "girl-only" problems, but my point was that I've never been without my checkbook, but have found myself without my check card precisely because I always use it. It's not a choice of using the checks over the card, but a situation in which I don't have the card. Sadly, it happens a lot...

Ugh, my wife is the same way. I often see the Discover card just laying around on in a back pocket. I cringe when I see it just laying in the car. Thank god for fraud protection -- but really, put it back in the purse. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Anyone ever call out someone with too many items in the express lane?

I am definitely guilty of being the guy with 22-25 items in the 20 or less lane. But really, if this is a big deal to some people, they need to find a hobby.

If I'm even close to being near the express lane quota, I don't go there. My time isn't important enough to screw people with just a few items.

Edit: Except when the other option is a self-checkout station. In my experience, many people who could go there don't, for fear of technology or something. I can self-checkout faster than a lane clerk can check me out, so if there's no wait, I go there if it's within reason.

When I worked at ShopKo as a cashier when I was 17 year old, it always got on my nerves when old ladies insisted on opening their little mini-change pouches and count exact change and they would sometimes toss the whole amount of change on the counter to count the change. But as far as check writing was concerned, ShopKo really didn't help matters when they insisted on making all cashiers ask for State ID in conjunction with the check and made us cashiers write out the License/ID # on every check.
I also loved it when customers would critique my bagging experience and get all upset when I didn't put a specific item in with other specific items when there were only two bags.

Wal-Mart has the worst checkout experience in all retail facets. The one in Racine has literally 32 different checkout lanes with only 10 operating at one time. The self-checkout sometimes makes me mad because whenever I use it, the voice tells me that the last item was "not weighed" and that I need to get assistance from an employee after the voice says: "Item was not placed in bagging unit."

Gas stations are the worst, the Speedway in Racine I always stop at has this old guy working the register and he takes an absolute eternity to finish up transactions. This is what happened at the most recent trip there:

Random guy fills out Powerball, whatever lottery slip
Hands to old checker and the checker stares at it for about 20 seconds.
Then punches in numbers manually
Waits... then when ticket prints out, stares at it again for 30 seconds.
Old checker says: "Hello, sir, can I get you anything else?" then proceeds to attempt small talk
Random guy starts chatting it up as the ONE line gets longer with two other registers available
Old checker spends 2 minutes trying to get check card to work and then asks Random guy to join Speedy Rewards
As transaction is complete, old checker bags all of Random guy's items in the worst way possible.
Random guy gets upset and then decides to do bagging himself and walks out.

All of this could have been done in less than one minute if I was behind the counter.

When I worked as cashier during the Christmas shopping season at ShopKo and then sometimes I got called up to back up the cashiers at Target, I made NO TIME for chit chat since all the lines were long. I seriously just said, "Hello." and then "Have a nice Holiday" and that was all I said.

Oh, and on the sales floor I always remember when people would put stuff they got from Household chemicals or something in their cart and then change their mind in the toy section and are too lazy to put it back in the right spot... so there is basically a bottle of Windex on the shelf with the "Hello Kitty" merchandise.

Since Racine is kind of ghetto, I always remember when some people would try to switch sales tags so they can get items for cheaper. I once caught someone because it looked so deliberate.

I also remember when I took a phone call from some freaked out mother wondering if her kids toy was shipped to the store and I looked for it and it was nowhere to be found. The mother ended up crying on the phone for about five minutes and I had to stand there in the middle of Target listening to her.
Now here is my WORST story: An old guy was using the store issued motorized carts and then less than a minute before he headed to the checkout lane, he soiled himself and it got all over the chair. The customers in front and behind him were rightfully disgusted and I was the cart attendant that night so me and the Security guy had to spend 20 minutes cleaning it up.

Checks are much cheaper for a business to process then check cards are. It is even becoming increasingly common for smaller businesses to stop accepting credit/check cards.

For independent businesses I rarely use a check card, sticking to cash, or if need be, a check.

Checks are much cheaper for a business to process then check cards are.
This is true. Chain grocery stores, gas stations, department stores, etc., can get away with so many credit card receipts because of the economy of volume of inventory. While they might take a light beating on $5-10 purchases, they'll kill on $50+ purchases. The very big ones may also get a deal with their creditors.

The nominal surcharge credit card companies charge is, in fact, significant if you're not pushing through a lot of inventory. A lot of the time, it's better than not taking cards, but you can save small retailers/service companies a grip by paying in cash/check. The marginal savings over the long term over cards is fairly significant.

Katuluu[/b]]

Checks are much cheaper for a business to process then check cards are. It is even becoming increasingly common for smaller businesses to stop accepting credit/check cards.

For independent businesses I rarely use a check card, sticking to cash, or if need be, a check.

My credit union pays 4-6% dividends on my checking account balance, as long as I use the credit card option instead of debit card option with my card (at least ten times per month to qualify). So, while I can understand the added costs for businesses to accept credit cards, I'm going to look out for my own best interest first and keep paying with the credit card option over checks or the debit option.

To the other subjects, I haven't balanced my checking account since 1990 (but I don't have to share my account with anyone else, and check my on-line account weekly). And with automatic bill pay set up for all re-occurring expenses, I average less than two checks per month (usually stuff through the mail). But I do carry one check in my wallet, in case of running into some place that doesn't accept a credit card or has a glitch with the processing equipment. Wouldn't mind seeing some of those self check-out options work their way up to the northern part of the state for those low volume purchase trips.

I just got done ranting about delivery tips, now I'll rant about working at the bike shop. My biggest peeve is when your checking someone out and they HAVE to take a call on their phone. If they've given me their money, and my boss isn't around, I just hold the bill or credit card till their off the phone, go work on a bike, or fix something on the floor or whatever. Give them their change when they are off. I have stuff to do that's more important that sitting there while they finish up some conversation. It's just rude and I won't have it. Nothing worse than ringing someone up while their jawing it up and without looking at you once throw their credit card on the counter and then sign for it, walking away without ever saying a word to the customer.

The sad thing is, it's never kids, it's all people in their mid 30's to 50's in suits.

THIS JUST IN: when you do this to someone at a register, you're the biggest jerk on the planet.

Ok, I'll clarify my statement. I'm not talking about Frank's grocery store in Mayberry. I'm talking about as a consumer, if you have an option between a check or a check card, I can't for the life of me understand why you would not use a check card unless you are into slow, cumbersome procedures and have no concern about your time or others.

I live in Waukesha. I can't think of a business that I have been a customer at in SE Wisconsin (other than Real Chili) that does not accept check cards.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I had the unfortunate experience of a man in his 50s writing a check to pay for his groceries and wait until the checker was done scanning his items to ask for a carton of smokes. This transaction began at 8:50pm. There was only one cashier and all I had was beer. What do you think happens next?

UGH. I remember getting to the cashier at a Pick n Save in Waukesha with a case of beer at 8:52 PM only to be told that the clocks on their registers were all set 8 minutes fast. If the state's going to have that dumb law, they should at least make stores give people the full amount of time the law prescribes.

Anyone here remember the days before ATM/debit cards?

Waiting in the grovery store checkout lane was like experiencing a level of Dante's inferno. Everyone wrote a check and everyone balanced their checkbook in the lane. If you don't believe me, ask your parents. It took forever.

We've just become accustomed to the lightning fast convenience. It's like the internet. 15 years ago, I was just amazed at the fact that the internet existed -- I didn't care that it took 5 minutes for a webpage to load. Now, if it takes more than 5 seconds for a page to load, I'm angry.

Sometimes, maybe we all just need to take a moment and enjoy the ride instead of alwasy hurring from one destination to another.

In my experience working at a grocery store for two years in high school I have many stories. People have soiled themselves many times, countless numbers of people smell horrible ( How do they not know how horrible their odor is?) Kids are constantly out of control, and the parents don't seem to care. Just the other day, I heard a two year old kid saying profanities in her stroller-where do you think she picked that up? In the checkout lane, checks are common and nobody can enter their pin right. It takes them two or three tries because they don't hit the buttons right. The cashier has to tell everyone what buttons to push on the credit machine. But, my biggest complaint is with the Wisconsin food stamp system. Now, this entrusts people who have made poor choices to spend hundreds of dollars on nutritious food. For whatever reason, the state lets people purchase soda, chips, donuts, energy drinks, candy bars-a lot of junk food. And this is exactly what people do. They spend hundreds of dollars on junk food. Sure, its solving one problem (hunger), but its creating another (obesity). Now, if the state were to restrict items purchased with food stamps, only allowing the recipients to purchase the staples-meat,bread,milk,fruits and veggies,etc. the system would be fair and effective. It's wrong to let people go hungry in a land of plenty, but its also wrong to let people gorge themselves on junk food on taxpayer dollars in these times of high budget deficits. We could be putting the money to better use-like educating the poor so we don't have this problem to begin with.

I am regularly impressed (though not in a good way) when I approach the card swiping equipment in the grocery checkout line and find a signature on the signing screen - the screen you're supposed to sign with a stylus, not an ink pen.

I have to admit to not having mastered the self-checkout. But I learned my lesson and haven't tried it again since. Maybe some day when there is absolutely no line.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hawing, it's sooo easy.

Go back and do it again soon--it's not going away and will likely be expanded. Besides, once you "get it", you'll never go back to regular cashiers.

Sounds funny, but there are some stores in Madison I will not shop at simply because they don't have self-checks. I'll go a few miles out of the way to use this feature. Honest.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

dubbya13 wrote:

But, my biggest complaint is with the Wisconsin food stamp system. Now, this entrusts people who have made poor choices to spend hundreds of dollars on nutritious food. For whatever reason, the state lets people purchase soda, chips, donuts, energy drinks, candy bars-a lot of junk food. And this is exactly what people do.

I don't know how long it has been since you've worked at a grocery store, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore. I've been working at Pick 'n Save for a year now. Occasionally I will see a food stamps card used, but i don't think it will always cover absolutely everything in the order. I could be wrong though, I will have to check next time I work.

I'm with Bikeage on this one. Cell phone etiquette--or lack thereof-- far and away trumps anything else that happens at the checkout counter. People shouldn't be on the phone while checking out... period.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't know how long it has been since you've worked at a grocery store, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore. I've been working at Pick 'n Save for a year now. Occasionally I will see a food stamps card used, but i don't think it will always cover absolutely everything in the order. I could be wrong though, I will have to check next time I work.
You must work in a higher-class area. I worked in a smaller, independent grocery store in the northern part of the state. My last day working was just a couple weeks ago (heading off to school) ,so have no doubt that people still buy junk with their food stamps. Countless times, some mother just gives the card and the PIN number to their kid, who in return buys soda and chips, candy, etc. There have been times where food-stamp recipients have enough money on their cards where they can buy T-bone and Porterhouse steaks, while the people walking the poverty line who don't receive benefits work overtime to feed their family. I can sympathize with the latter, but these instances have showed that the state should do something (But it won't happen until at least 2010)

Archived