Brewer Fanatic

8/18/08 Astros (Wolf) at Brewers (Sabathia): 7:05 PM CDT

wibadgers23
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize Mods... I am usually one level headed dude.

and in 2 1/2 years here I have never... I have NEVER... well, I'll just look at this called strike.

Criminal. Travesty. Unconscionable. Asinine.

Leave it to Ned Yost to turn an asset (extra day off) into a hazardous liability used to justify complete doltery.

Hard to believe it; but yeah, unhappy after a win.

Well CC gets the extra day off this week and I imagine he lobbied to go back out there, I doubt Yost made him do it. But not a good thing letting him throw that many no matter how you look at it, unless you consider it getting our money and prospects worth out of him.

Pretty crazy what can happen when you actually hit the ball.

Exactly. The patented Rickie Weeks strike out gives the Brewers a 0% chance of anything happening in those a bats. But, if you put the bat on the ball, like durham did tonight, some get through even if they aren't hit all that well.

As for CC, tonight is the exact reason you don't leave him in for the ninth. Best cases scenario is he gets some quick outs and gets a complete game. It's only a stat and the Brewers would have won it with the bullpen. The worst case scenario short of losing, is what happened. The defense blows a couple of plays and he pitches about 15 extra pitches to set a personal all time high. Ned has to know what happened to him in Cleveland last post season. The bullpen doesn't need rest; CC does and Yost needs his head checked after this game.

BTW, I'm normally a Yost supporter so this isn't just another Yost hater bashing him.

Prediction: June 21, 2009: (AP) New York, NY: Yankees announce that the ace they signed for 8 years and $210 million in the offseason has been placed on the 15 Day DL due to shoulder fatigue.. MRI was negative.

In a related story, Sabathia's former teammate, Yovanni Gallardo, threw a no hitter against the Cubs today.

Weird, CC just said on TV he told Ned to let him go back out there, and he'll be rested. Tonight is a non issue, just the board over reacting.

The point is, CC did not need to be out there. Its not like he was protecting a 2 run lead. The game was well in hand and it was garbage time. Why further fatigue your prize starter during garbage time? Whether he said he wanted to be out there or not, the question should not have even been asked. Someone else should have thrown the 9th at least, if not the 8th as well.

CC did not look happy after the game...not sure if he was upset with himself for the 9th or with Ned for leaving him in. He should have been out after 7.

If that were me, I know I'd be unhappy with myself.

And again, I wouldn't be concerned about the pitch count.

That's a 6'7", 300 pound, grown-ass man out there. He can handle it.

Prediction: June 21, 2009: (AP) New York, NY: Yankees announce that the ace they signed for 8 years and $210 million in the offseason has been placed on the 15 Day DL due to shoulder fatigue.. MRI was negative.

In a related story, Sabathia's former teammate, Yovanni Gallardo, threw a no hitter against the Cubs today.

Unfortunately, Gallardo had to throw a career high 130 pitches to get the no-hitter.

Sure he can handle it, but he shouldn't have had to in garbage time. Its a waste.

I disagree.. him pitching the 9th prevented me from downing a six pack watching Mota give up 3 and Gagne touching himself for an hour giving up 2 more until Torres got out of it while tearing his groin for the year..

much less stressful this way

Had to log into the in game thread to see if anyone commented about the guy behind the plate that was posting messages on some sort of dry erase board. I just saw a couple of them.."Steve-dunk" and "Lol". Never saw anyone do this before, and now it appears that he has stopped. I wonder if he was asked to stop.

I don't know if anyone else posted about this, but I happened to see your post first Patrick. He was actually a friend of mine taking some requests from me along with other people. He wasn't asked to stop, his marker actually ran out of ink. I was in the in-game chat talking about it a bit. A couple of my suggestions were "3TO" and "I heart Trenni".

I'm hoping there aren't many people that have a problem with this, as it stayed clean the whole time. If he were to put some inappropriate things on the dry erase board, that would be another story.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"We've all seen this bullpen puke up wins this year. Haven't we? "

So what? You have to take that risk - especially with a 6 run lead in the 9th. That was horrible management by Yost. I'm not so concerned about next year but late September. Sabathia faded late last season and some blamed in on his excessive innings.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sabathia faded late last season and some blamed in on his excessive innings.

If some people blamed it on him being overweight/out of shape, you get mad if you saw him eating a cheeseburger? The playoffs last year, were a lot like his first start with the Brewers. His velocity and movement were there, just not the normal precision. Probably due to too much andrenaline versus being tired.

Sabathia faded late last season and some blamed in on his excessive innings.
Sabathia also had a collection of bad starts early in the year. It happens. It's going to happen again. CC will inevitably have a bad start or two in the future, and I'm sure people will mistakenly point back to this start as the reason for it.

Hmm, I *had* been enjoying our gorgeous summer evening at the ballpark, but maybe I was supposed to be mad at the end of the game instead. Sorry. I'm more worried about Ryan (whose discomfort after his final swing of the night was visible to me from the terrace box).

I'll take a different approach. Corey and Ray Ray certainly had good nights, and the Brewers are now 17-8 with me in attendance.

They can be heroes, just for one night. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived