Brewer Fanatic

Weeks Injured - Sprained left thumb (Latest... shouldn't miss time: reply #19)

yount19.u

Weeks exits with sprained left thumb

Another hand injury as Weeks exits with a sprained left thumb. I think this may actually be a good thing for the Crew. Two more strike outs today and one of them with the bases juiced. Still no signs of being able to turn a double play consistently. Let Durham get some time to prove his worth, call up Dillon and give Weeks some time in AAA to rehab and get his head straight (I'm not worried about the thumb).

(edits: clickified link --1992; title updates --BtA, 1992)

I really question how anyone can possibly think this is a good thing for the Brewers. As bad as Weeks has been he is still better offensively and defensively than Durham. I really wonder why people are high on Durham when he is not a good hitter and has absolutely positively no range defensively. I for one hope that Rickie will be in the lineup very soon.

I really question how anyone can possibly think this is a good thing for the Brewers. As bad as Weeks has been he is still better offensively and defensively than Durham. I really wonder why people are high on Durham when he is not a good hitter and has absolutely positively no range defensively. I for one hope that Rickie will be in the lineup very soon.

Weeks might hit more HR then Durham but the numbers don't lie. Durham has a better average and OBP this season. And as for defense, it is true Durham has limited range but he can turn a double play and will make all the routine plays. While I hate to see injuries, Durham getting more PT may be a good thing in the long run.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

He absolutely smoked that double to begin the game. I seriously hope to see him in the lineup in the very near future because without him, our 2-headed 2-bagger becomes Dunsell...which somehow sounds BETTER than what it actually is.

Weeks is a better hitter than Durham.

He's at .375/.432 since the ASB, which is a small sample, but also the exact line he put up last year, so it's much more in line with what's expected, rather than his miserable first half. He's still striking out too much, usually in deep counts though. I could take the strike-outs if his walk rate was more like his 2007 rate.

That being said, his turns on the DP is just such a liability. He's pretty much adequate at every aspect of defense outside of that, so it is frustrating to watch.

Conclusion: I think this is a minor blow to the team, with Yost splitting time between the 2 players perfectly since the trade.

Community Moderator
Hall is a worse hitter than Weeks
I'm just curious, why do you think that Hall is worse than Weeks? I can't find any batting statistic except OBP where Weeks has the advantage over their careers.

Trading for Durham was dumb luck because we already had 2 backup infieldrs on the team and would have been better off with a backup outfielder instead. I really believe that if we didn't have Durham, we wouldn't have been seeing as much of Counsell at 3B. We probably still would have been seeing a lot of Counsel but more at 2B and SS.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Even with those 2 RBI in the 9th today, Durham's been pretty bad since coming to Milwaukee, although it is a tiny sample size. I guess I just don't have much faith in him producing more than Weeks if he gets any kind of extended playing time, especially considering Weeks' recent stretch.

It just really stinks seeing Rickie get hurt again...his production has been disappointing, but you hate to see him get dealt another bad break. Does anyone know if it's the same thumb that's been giving him problems in the past?

Edit: I suppose I should at least read the lede in the link, huh? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

LOS ANGELES -- Brewers second baseman and leadoff hitter Rickie Weeks left Sunday's game at Dodger Stadium with a sprained left thumb, the same digit that required surgery nearly three years ago.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

This is not good for the Crew.

Take a look at Weeks numbers vs. Durham's numbers since the All-Star break.

Plus, Durham can't play every day anymore, he's said that himself.

They need Weeks to come back soon.

A sprained thumb shouldn't keep him out too long. I detect a lot of sentiment here that Rickie is somehow responsible for his injuries, as though he's dogging it, and intentionally trying to get injured. I don't know if you could find the data, but it seems to me like 2B get injured more than any other position except for pitcher.

88 plate appearances since the All Star Break: .273/.369/.432 .801 OPS. Ridicule him all you want but they are better with him in the lineup.

Counsell: 64 PA: .185/.297/.241 .538 OPS. No amount of his supposed stellar defense can make up for the crap he delivers at the plate.

This is why contenders trade for the Ray Durhams of the world. If this costs him considerable time, we don't suffer much in the standings and still have a 3B/SS backup in Counsell if disaster strikes.

So true. Look at what some of the other contenders are going through with post-break injuries and I will speak no evil of Mr. Melvin.

88 plate appearances since the All Star Break: .273/.369/.432 .801 OPS. Ridicule him all you want but they are better with him in the lineup.

Counsell: 64 PA: .185/.297/.241 .538 OPS. No amount of his supposed stellar defense can make up for the crap he delivers at the plate.

Durham: 48 PA: .186/.271/.349 .620 OPS

Archived