Brewer Fanatic

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley for sure (reply #178ish)

paul253

I would much rather keep infielders than outfielders. Especially at this point with Gamel in AAA. We still don't know where he will end up playing.

Gwynn should get a year to start and then trade him if Cain is ready. Even Gwynn-haters should be able to live with one year having him start when you consider we'll need the ten million for starting pitching.

I can live with Gwynn starting for many years, as long as it is for a different team. I like Gwynn, but his bat is Counsellesque. There is no way his defense could make up for his bat.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is nothing anyone could ever tell me that would make me excited about TGJ getting a full year in Milwaukee. I seriously hope that he's gone this off season. But I digress...

I'm happy it was Brantley and not Green or LuCroy. It soudns like Green/Brantley are very similar players and i'll take a guy who can possibly play 2B/3B any day over another outfielder.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Even Gwynn-haters should be able to live with one year having him start when you consider we'll need the ten million for starting pitching.

The 150 points of OPS difference between Gwynn and Cameron is a much larger gap than the difference between Seth Mclung starting and the type of starting pitcher you get for $10 million. Plus, Cameron is on a 1 year deal.

Gwynn has not earned an oppurtunity for anything, and might have a hard time starting at AAA this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Green 2008 > Gamel 2007

He's gonna bust out big time once he gets out of the FSL. Glad they picked Brantley, that's for sure.

And for all of those freaking out because we just traded our OBP God / future lead off hitter, both Green and Brantley had more walks than strike outs this year. One of them, however, also hit 15 HRs in one of the worst offensive parks in the minors.

both Green and Brantley had more walks than strike outs this year. One of them, however, also hit 15 HRs in one of the worst offensive parks in the minors.

While this may be true, Brantley's walk to K ratio was much better and while Green struck out once every 7 at bats, Brantley struck out once every 15. The absolute last thing this team needs is more power, so the fact that he hit 15 homeruns isnt anything that excites me. Brantley's OBP was higher in AA than Greens was in A+ and he steals bases.

I'm not saying Green is a bad player, and I am very excited to see him with us. I also realize its a moot point since Brantley is already gone. I just wish we had him back. With the trades of LaPorta and Brantley, our outfield situation is certainly clearing up. I'd like to see Green moved back to second and Brett Lawrie play third. Both would have clear paths to Milwaukee.

TheCrew07[/b]]In my opinion this was the best possible outcome, I feared Green would be the guy picked since this deal was first mentioned. Green is versatile and very similar player to Brantley with better defense/power and less speed. I believe the Brewers may have preferred Brantley because he also fills a need, but as I've said many time the emergence of Cain again this year made Bramtley somewhat expendable, as Cain is a true 5 tool talent. If Lo plays well early next year in AA I hope they bump him up to AAA and fast track him a bit. Cain could be the opening the day starter in CF in 2010.

On the flip side short of a trade this means the Brewers will pick up Cameron's option for 2009.

I don't see why you're so high on Cain. He struck out one out of every four at bats this year in the minors. Based on numbers alone, Brantley is a much better prospect. We'll see who makes a better major leaguer. And please don't bring back Cameron at 9M.

I also like Green, he's a nice player. But, he just seems like a guy who will struggle, as none of his tools stand out. A Loretta type looks to his ceiling, and he seems likely to fall short of that and just be a reserve. No big deal, as everyone needs bench guys, especially cheap ones, but it's tough to get excited about that.

While this may be true, Brantley's walk to K ratio was much better and while Green struck out once every 7 at bats, Brantley struck out once every 15. The absolute last thing this team needs is more power, so the fact that he hit 15 homeruns isnt anything that excites me. Brantley's OBP was higher in AA than Greens was in A+ and he steals bases.

I am not so convinced that Green will not post an OBP higher than Brantley in the majors. Brantley improved his ISO power this year but he is still very weak in terms of power, so weak that it will be much more difficult for him to draw walks in the major leagues. Pitchers will not be afraid to throw one down the chute if they know Brantley cannot hurt them big.

O.k what will the Brewers of the future look like after the dust settles? Will Cain project as a centerfielder now that Brantley is gone?

Is Green the 2nd baseman of the future or 3rd baseman? Will Gamel switch positions next year if Green stays at 3rd?

The absolute last thing this team needs is more power, so the fact that he hit 15 homeruns isnt anything that excites me.
Power and OBP are not mutually exclusive. Milwaukee does need more plate discipline and OBP as a team. If one of the prospects that boasts these qualities hits for power as well, that is icing on the cake. On top of the icing, he plays 3B (and 2B) too. No brainer in my opinion.

Not sure if you can answer this agent if not I understand, but was Brantley the guy you thought would be going?
Logic suggested it was going to be Mike but I did inform Green I thought it was going to be him based on what I had heard from my sources on both sides. Two days ago however I knew it wasnt going to be Green, but I always did know it was going to be one of my guys. I had a quote in the paper there incase that one guy still doubts that Im an actual agent..... Also, Cain is replacing Mike in the fall league and Green is replacing Gamel.

http://blog.cleveland.com...speed_plate_discipli.html

both Green and Brantley had more walks than strike outs this year. One of them, however, also hit 15 HRs in one of the worst offensive parks in the minors.

You act like Green is some undisciplined K machine that hacks at nearly everything while trying to jack home runs. The guy only struck out 59 times last year and walked 61 times, his overall plate discipline is a strength, not a weakness.

As for saying the absolute last thing this team needs is more power, no team ever has to much power, just like no team ever has to much pitching. If Green ever makes it to the bigs with the Brewers as an everyday player, the fact he has some pop in his bat to go along with hitting for average/taking walks is nothing except a good thing. Plus, the makeup of any big league roster can change quite a bit in a year or two, when we would have likely hoped a Brantley or Green could have made our major league roster. Two years from now things could change to where there is a quite a bit less power on the team.

Look at when the Brewers traded for Lee, Melvin talked about the need to add a righthanded bat with pop to the lineup because he felt the team was to lefthanded. Now this year, the team really could use a quality lefthanded bat. It's no lock Cameron will be back. Prince could be traded this offseason or next. Hardy could be traded this offseason or next. Same for Weeks and Hall. The needs or strengths/weaknesses of the Brewers two years from now could be vastly different than what they are now. So i see very little reason to care about anything except whether Green or Brantley becomes a better big leaguer, that's of course if either or both even makes it.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From the Cleveland blog entry Josh linked to:

Brantley has doubles power, but the Indians believe the 6-2 Brantley will get stronger and should hit between 15 and 20 homers a season in the big leagues in two or three years.

That projection is one heck of a reach. And to do so while maintaining the other parts of his game?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm just glad it wasn't Lucroy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brantley is the same age as a guy who just got drafted. As well as he knows the strike zone, it seems likely the power will come. If he were still with the Crew, I'd hope he hit 30 doubles and 10 homers...with his speed, that seems reasonable. 15-20 is aggressive, but is possible. If he were 5-7 and skinny, no, but it just depends on his growth...how big was/is his dad.

You act like Green is some undisciplined K machine that hacks at nearly everything while trying to jack home runs. The guy only struck out 59 times last year and walked 61 times, his overall plate discipline is a strength, not a weakness.

Thats not at all what Im trying to say. When I talk about Brantley's stike zone discipline people counter with, well Green has more Walks than K's too. And while thats true, the BB:K ratio is not even close. While Green only struck out 59 times 418 at bats or so, which is an awfully good number, its still more than double the number of strikeouts Brantley had in a few more at bats. Green's OPS is higher, but not really by enough to use it to say he's a far superior hitter (like 33 points or so). Where Green has more power Brantley has more speed. And the argument that he has more power I dont really care about because, as I said, we dont need anymore power. Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, and even Weeks will get you homeruns...you dont need more homeruns at the expense of OBP. And while homeruns win a bunch of games, they also cause you to lose alot when you rely so heavily on them and they disappear, as the Brewers offense has shown for 5 weeks now. I'd rather have a leadoff hitter that'll get on base then a two hitter that'll hit 15 homeruns and get on at a lower clip.

I'm not at all saying Green is a bad player. I am excited to see him in a Milwaukee uniform. Its just that player for player, I'd rather have Brantley. Thats all. Its no bash on Green.

Its all a moot point, though, as Brantley is gone and Green is here.

I must ask this question since I didn't see Brantley play a ton this year because I happened to be at quite a few games when he was hurt. Can he play CF? I know that's a huge question, but from those in 'the know' what are the chances he can't? Brantley at 1b or an OF spot doesn't excite me at all and chances are he may have had to be moved eventually depending on how the current MLB spots shake out.

Brantley improved his ISO power this year but he is still very weak in terms of power, so weak that it will be much more difficult for him to draw walks in the major leagues. Pitchers will not be afraid to throw one down the chute if they know Brantley cannot hurt them big.

This to me is one of the best points in the thread. Pitchers aren't going to pitch around him if he doesn't develop power. Why would they? You need to at least be a threat to draw walks at that high of a rate. IMO from what I did see him I think his walks were more about teams being afraid of putting guys on with the other guys on the Huntsville team and AA pitchers just not having control. This isn't a rip on Michael and he's a good guy. He'll be dangerous if he develops power, but I have no clue if he will or won't.

Archived