Brewer Fanatic

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley for sure (reply #178ish)

paul253
Pertinent info: "Monday is decision day. This trade is almost over. It's my understanding that the medicals are being reviewed and Cle is understandably having trouble choosing the PTBNL. I still believe it's the same guy I informed several weeks ago, so we'll see if I'm right by monday."

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As Colby mentioned, Brantley's success will greatly hinge on his defense. If he can stick in CF he'll be very valuable. If he's a first baseman.....meh.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

but he has no outstanding skill like Mike's OBP.
Repetition does not make it true. Green has a career .380 OBP despite being injured his first year (resulting in a .328 OBP), and he walks once every 7.3 ABs. Brantley has a career .399 OBP, and he walks every 7.0 ABs. Virtually all of the difference is batting average, and since Green has much more power, I'm more convinced he can keep up his BA.

It sucks to lose Brantley, but I'm glad it was him and not Green. Relatively speaking, of course.

I've grown on Brantley more as the year as gone on, but more because the Brewers offense obviously needs a boost in the OBP dep't.

I agree that it is a great skill to have, it's impossible to argue against that point, but his complete lack of power and concerns on defense cannot be overlooked. It is tough to see any talented young prospect go, although we all knew it would happen sooner or later (in this case later), but I am happy Green is sticking around give the organizations overall lack of potential impact left-handed bats.

It is important to remember that Green finished 10th in the offensively challenged FSL in batting, 3rd in OBP, 9th in slugging and 7th in OPS. He clearly has some pretty good on-base skills of his own (61:59 BB:K ratio to go along with his .382 OBP), and while he doesn't receive unanimous praise for his defense, it isn't a lingering concern like it is with Brantley. And this is of course as an infielder. I recognize that Brantley has displayed these skills at a younger age at a higher level, but it's not like Green is too old to be considered a legitimate prospect.

I originally was hoping it would be Brantley, but got to the point where I was split on who I wanted to see the Brewers keep more. I think arguing between the two could easily go either way.

I never realized AA/AAA was the same level.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mike is proven at AA, Taylor at high A. Mike is 22 and looks to be in AAA to begin '09. That's historically outstanding, and he looks to be in the bigs as soon as he is able to prove he belongs, as his road became a lot less bumpy.

I never realized AA/AAA was the same level.
That's because it's not. Although there isn't much difference between the talent level in the Southern League and the PCL. Was that a joke? Oof.

Brantley could well begin the year at AA if the Indians think he needs to work on power some more. Green will start at AA, and might see AAA. Brantley will likely see AAA. It'll both be their 22 year old season. AA/AAA. QED.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just so everyone is on the same page:

Brantley DOB:5/15/1987

Green DOB: 11/2/1986

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

For me it comes down to this: if we all feel that both of these players have the ability to be a contributor to the major league club relatively soon (1-2 years), which position is more scarce in Milwaukee?

With our 3B and 2B positions nothing short of a complete mess right now, I for one am glad it was Brantley to go and not Green.

That being said, it sounds as if Mike is a great individual, and like LaPorta and the rest of the folks who went to Cleveland, wish him all the best.

Count me as disappointed. I agree with colby on the fact that we need his OBP. Some have suggested that his lack of power will keep him down, but i disagree. For one, power is always the last to develope, and two, he'd be a lead off hitter and the last thing a leadoff hitter needs is power. The fact that he walked once every 7 or so at bats while striking out once every 15 continues to amaze me. That says to me he doesnt just get on base, he works the count, and uses up pitches. He is exactly what every current Brewer is not, and having painfully watched the Brewer offense completely tank for the last 5 weeks, thats not a bad thing.

I posted earlier this year that Brantley was part of the deal I'm done with Melvin. Now it's official, I'm done w/ Melvin. Other than the core group of Braun, Hardy, Fielder, and Hart(??), the near future of this offense sucks. We finished 17th in the majors in runs scored. Brantley was what could of been the perfect compliment to the aforementioned players. Why would the lack of power concern anyone if he could have an OBP at .380 or better, with a 2/1 walk to strikeout ratio. This team needs some balance and I believe Brantley was a critical part of that equation. LH bat, speed, contact hitter, great idea of the strikezone, and OBP. That's good enough for me.

In my opinion this was the best possible outcome, I feared Green would be the guy picked since this deal was first mentioned. Green is versatile and very similar player to Brantley with better defense/power and less speed. I believe the Brewers may have preferred Brantley because he also fills a need, but as I've said many time the emergence of Cain again this year made Bramtley somewhat expendable, as Cain is a true 5 tool talent. If Lo plays well early next year in AA I hope they bump him up to AAA and fast track him a bit. Cain could be the opening the day starter in CF in 2010.

On the flip side short of a trade this means the Brewers will pick up Cameron's option for 2009.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived