Brewer Fanatic

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley for sure (reply #178ish)

paul253
EDIT - I also think Al's post brings more logic and less emotion. Al has also seen him play so I respect his reasoning. I think you kind of pointed the finger at 'drama' when in fact you might have been the one causing it.

Al hasn't seen Taylor Green play. In Al's post, he was paraphrasing what Agent39 (Josh) would have said.

This argument is one reason we're going to re-categorize how we archive audio interviews next season. I haven't heard or read anyone disaparage Green's work at third base, a position he only played for the first time regularly last season. If anything, he was lauded for how he made the transition during his Organizational Player of the Year season in 2007.

X, if you're looking for reports that Green is the next Brooks Robinson or Graig Nettles and you're OK with Green leaving for lack thereof, fine, but your quote "He's not an asset defensively at 3B" -- we just don't know what that's based on, that's all.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen your posts about the Brewers' development issues, but I think bringing up a silly stat like errors when it's not even bad doesn't help your case.

Green's 18 errors would be 4th most in the majors, so thats a pretty bad total. Combine that with pedestian range, and I see that as a player who is below average defensively. Again, I have not once said he can't play the position, but if he becomes a big league 3B, I don't think it will be because of his defense. His bat will have to carry him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Minor league E totals are always high though, bad fields and scorers that have no idea. I saw Mike Garciaparra given an error in Appleton after he made a diving play and then threw so the 1B had to step off the bag...and the runner had beat the throw easily regardless. That's why he had 50+ that year.

I too saw Michael Garciapara play in Appleton, and I saw him go an entire game without converting a groundball at him into an out. He had an incredible puss arm, which is why he no longer plays SS. Its awesome we have Jack Z instead of the clowns in Seattle that made Garciapara a 1st round pick. Fox Vally baseball fans will be in for a treat next year after years of watching Seattle's non-prospects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I've seen your posts about the Brewers' development issues, but I think bringing up a silly stat like errors when it's not even bad doesn't help your case.

Green's 18 errors would be 4th most in the majors, so thats a pretty bad total. Combine that with pedestian range, and I see that as a player who is below average defensively. Again, I have not once said he can't play the position, but if he becomes a big league 3B, I don't think it will be because of his defense. His bat will have to carry him.

Wow. Not a big fan of player developement and the minor leagues?

We need a volunteer to look up minor league error totals from players who played primarily third base in the two high-A leagues, Florida State and Carolina. That may be difficult to do without indicating how many games those players appeared in, given promotions and such. I'm guessing Green's total would appear more than adequate given such an analysis.

I think that Brantley will be the man when the PTBNL axe falls. The Brewers are sending Caleb Gindl and Logan Shaffer to the Hawaiian winter league, and they called up Mike Vass and Erik Komatsu from Helena before and during the playoffs, when the Power really could've used some arms instead...just makes me think that they're auditioning outfielders and not third basemen, considering 3rd has always been a defensive need. Also, Josh has been pretty smug about "I got a secret", so that would still make sense there. Just a couple things that make me say hhmmm!

A reader emailed me the following analysis I had asked for. He focused on the Florida State League squads.

I just took the 3b that played the most games for the team, and recorded # of games and # of errors.

Team Errors/Games Started

SAR 17/105

CLR 13/45

LAK 11/52

TAM 15/118

FTM 6/53

DUN 19/88

STL 11/42

VER 21/110

Green, BRV 18/100

JUP 16/82

PMB 8/64

DAY 14/59

So Taylor Green did much better than lots of guys that didn't get many games in at 3B (if you pro-rate per game). Among guys that played over 80 games, there really wasn't THAT much difference among players, and Green was slightly better than the median. IIRC, he did slightly better than the median on Range Factor, too.

Why are we comparing Green to a bunch of guys who won't play in the majors? The analysis is a good idea, but it should focus on actual prospects.

Why are we cmparing Green to a buch of guys who won't play in the majors? The analysis is a good idea, but it should focus on actual prospects.

I think at that low of a level it's hard to pick 'prospects'. I hope Green stays with the Brewers and goes to All-Star games and such, but at this point and time we really don't know how he'll develop or anyone else at that level. There are more prospects that don't pan out than do. I think your point that Green's defense is awful might not be reality.

I think your point that Green's defense is awful might not be reality.
I'm really getting annoyed and then some about these incredulous misquotes in this thread. I challenge you to show me where I said Green's defense is awful, and when you don't, I'd appreciate you edit your post. I did not make a statement that should cause this much fervor. Thanks in advance.

The best analysis to project Green's defense is to compare him to the minor league season's of major leaguers with similar skill sets. Guys like Mike Fontenot, Keith Ginter, Esteban German, and German Duran might be guys with similar defensive tools.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd almost guess we'd give them Lucroy. It's not going to be the popular choice here, but we seem to have enough catching and really need advanced prospects at 2B/3B (Green) and OF (Brantley, Cain). You gotta figure between Salome/Lawrie and some of the others playing well, we'll have one very good starting catcher and a capable reserve in the next couple/few years.

Lucroy is not represented by Agent39, and it's been establish that the PTBNL is one of his clients... Brantley or Green, and I still believe it's Green.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Cleveland Indians are playing out the string on their season this weekend, but they have reason to root for the Brewers to win the National League's wild-card spot.

If Milwaukee makes the playoffs, the Indians choose the player to be named in the CC Sabathia trade; the Brewers get to make the pick if they fail to make the postseason.

The Tribe supposedly prefers outfielder Michael Brantley, a left-handed batter who hit .319 with 23 extra-base hits and 28 stolen bases with double-A Huntsville. The Brewers apparently would prefer the Indians take third baseman Taylor Green, who hit .289 with 19 doubles, 15 homers and 73 RBI in class-A.

Brantley is projected as being closer to ready for the big leagues.

link

Forgive me for I have not seen Brantley or Cain play, but it is my understanding they are both solid. Please give me your take on why Lorenzo is not a possibilty to be selected by Cleveland and/or the difference between Brantley and Cain.

No offense to Agent 39 as I enjoy reading his posts but he is an agent. You can't always trust what they say as it's their job to promote their clients. If that means lying or telling half truths they will do it and should be doing it. I'm sure his players are in the mix but since the player hasn't been chosen yet I'm not sure how he could know for sure who is being taken. He could have a pretty good idea but until it's decided no one knows.

Whoever is moved in the deal obviously depends on whether the Brewers make the playoffs, so our friendly agent couldn't possibly know. In addition, neither club is going to call either the agent or the player at this particular point to tell them which direction they are leaning.

I also agree with Jack, Agent 39 may be stretching the truth on purpose, but for what reason I do not understand. Don't forget, he has been wrong in the past as I read these posts as a newbie.

It is remarkable that an agent would be spending so much time posting on this board. I disagree that he should "promote their clients" on this board at least. The Brewers don't need to hear how great a player is the agent represents. They know more than him.

Agent 39 should be out combing the diamonds looking for more clients in case his does not make it.

Oh, BTW, I'm sure it has been discussed, but are we sure he is a sports agent?

Archived