Brewer Fanatic

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley for sure (reply #178ish)

paul253

At this point, missing the playoffs is starting to look like a real possibly, so if they don't have to give up another player, that would certainly help ease the pain. When considering who you'd most like to give up, there really is no good choice. Each player brings plenty of upside and talent. I think I want to keep Brantley most because we need someone with good strikezone discipline that can hit leadoff. Weeks is only hitting leadoff kind of by default. Then Lucroy, because good catching is hard to come by, and if we can get a homegrown one, all the better. Then probably Cain because of his tools, but we don't really have a spot for him, and Green is a left handed hitter at a position, either second or third, where we need him. Its a tough call, whichever way you look at it.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Indians control this pick, it's going to be Taylor Green.

Book it. Stamp it. Fred Flintstone-chisel it into a big rock.

If I'm wrong, you can come after me with the big rock.

Wind-blown whispers, little sparrows, call it what you will, but that's how it's going to go down.

So much so, we could close the thread down now, but obviously we'll keep it open.

Player to be named may be chosen by odd arrangement
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

BALTIMORE -- He has become the Indians' mystery man, and the details surrounding his eventual arrival to the organization are getting more and more mysterious, too.

The Indians still have not announced the player to be named that is due to arrive as the final component of the trade that sent CC Sabathia to the Brewers on July 7. The reason, according to a recent report in The Cleveland Plain Dealer, is that the player's selection is contingent upon whether or not the Brewers make the playoffs.

According to the report, if the Brewers reach the postseason, the Indians choose the player; if the Brewers don't make it, they choose.

If that sounds like a bizarre arrangement, it's because it is. Generally speaking, the player to be named in a trade comes from a list preapproved by both clubs at the time of the deal, with the club acquiring the player making its choice by a certain deadline.

Tribe general manager Mark Shapiro would not confirm or deny the report.

"We have until the end of the season [to acquire the player]," Shapiro said.

At the time of the trade, Shapiro said the player to be named was considered the second-most prominent key to the deal, behind highly touted prospect Matt LaPorta, who is now with Double-A Akron. Shapiro said the Indians were choosing between two players, and he made no mention of the player being contingent on the Brewers' playoff presence.

It has long been believed and reported that the player to be named will be one of two players -- either outfielder Michael Brantley, who played at Double-A Huntsville this season, or third baseman Taylor Green, who was with Class A Brevard County.

The Tribe's scouting of both players was hampered by injuries they suffered this season.

Brantley, who batted .319 with 17 doubles, two triples, four homers and 40 RBIs, missed most of July with an ankle sprain. Green, who hit .289 with 19 doubles, 15 homers and 73 RBIs, was hit in the hand by a pitch on Aug. 12 and didn't play another game.

Neither player's club reached the postseason, and neither was called up to the Brewers for the September stretch run.

As much as I like Green, I think I could deal with it if it were him. Hes the farthest away from the bigs, and we seem to be set with infielders, at least for the foreseeable future, with Weeks, Hardy, Escobar, possibly Irabarren, Brent Brewer.

Green is whom I've figured all along, so I agree with Mass. I would have liked to see him play for the Brewers, at 2B or 3B, I think he will be ready by opening day 2010, he's just stuck behind Gamel in the Brewer organization so he only moves up when Mat does.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Green is a player who could be much more replacable down the line than Brantley or Lucroy. By the way I believe many of you are forgetting about Carlos Santana in Cleveland probably one of the top 3 catchers in the minors after his monster year , so I doubt theyd take Lucroy. Im just praying for Taylor Green cuz Brantley seems like a perfect fit for center/lead-off in 2010.

I think Green will be the one to go, but I am hoping Brantley ends up being the guy. Unless he develops more power he will not be able to sustain his walk rate. If the power does not come he is limited to center field, which at this point in time he can not play all that well from what I am hearing. Cain, and LuCroy have much higher ceilings, as Cain is a 5 tool type player, and LuCroy plays the most valuable position on the field, and plays it pretty well.

I think Green will be the one to go, but I am hoping Brantley ends up being the guy. Unless he develops more power he will not be able to sustain his walk rate. If the power does not come he is limited to center field, which at this point in time he can not play all that well from what I am hearing. Cain, and LuCroy have much higher ceilings, as Cain is a 5 tool type player, and LuCroy plays the most valuable position on the field, and plays it pretty well.

Where on earth did you hear that Brantley can't play center that well?

There were major questions about Brantley's ability to play CF to enter the season, and he had barely played the position as a pro. However, Don Money, who's as forthright and as critical of defense as anyone, stated late in the season that Brantlet has "turned the corner defensively".

I'm happy its Green going instead of Lucroy or Brantley. Greens upside s limited because of his lack of raw ability, he might hit the wall a little in the upper minors or majors. He's not an asset defensively at 3B, and hasn't played 2B. He also doesn't have a clear track to the majors, as it appears the Brewers are committed to Gamel at 3B for better or worse. Green is a really nice prospect, but he doesn't change our future plans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

There were major questions about Brantley's ability to play CF to enter the season, and he had barely played the position as a pro. However, Don Money, who's as forthright and as critical of defense as anyone, stated late in the season that Brantlet has "turned the corner defensively".

I'm happy its Green going instead of Lucroy or Brantley. Greens upside s limited because of his lack of raw ability, he might hit the wall a little in the upper minors or majors. He's not an asset defensively at 3B, and hasn't played 2B. He also doesn't have a clear track to the majors, as it appears the Brewers are committed to Gamel at 3B for better or worse. Green is a really nice prospect, but he doesn't change our future plans.

Green is a plus defender, I know I cant comment every single time someone says something about one of my guys, but Green is a plus defender at 3b. All you have to do is watch him play or ask anyone he's played with. This characterization that he cant play third is beyond irrational. He's probably the best the Brewers have in the org. defensively at 3b. It's like when people say Brantley can't play center. Mike is a good CF but TG is an above average to plus defender at 3b.

I'm in class, so I don't have the actual book handy, but BA quoted Reid Nichols (I think) on Green's defense in the last Prospect Handbook saying something along the lines of "He doesn't have the greatest range, but he catches it and throws it and the guy is out."

This characterization that he cant play third is beyond irrational.

Well good thing no one said he couldn't play 3rd then. Thanks for the drama. I simply said he's not an asset defensively, and he is nothing more than average at best there. He lacks range, has a pedestrian arm, and 18 errors in 114 games is a little excessive. Adam Heether is a terrific defensive 3B, Green is no where near him, and has just half the range of Hall at 3rd. Green can play 3rd, as can Russel Branyan, but thats not going to be the ticket for playing time for either one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I was right, I was stupid to even attempt a defense here. I will just shut the hell up and watch everyone debate the players here.

You can chose to debate any way you chose, but tantrums are a bit unbecoming of a professional. I do appriciate your insight and inside information, and I understand your emotional attachment to your clients.

I was right, I was stupid to even attempt a defense here. I will just shut the hell up and watch everyone debate the players here.

You can chose to debate any way you chose, but tantrums are a bit unbecoming of a professional. I do appriciate your insight and inside information, and I understand your emotionalattachment to your clients.

It's not an emotional attachment to my player. I have guys good at certain things, I have guys with flaws. Ive seen Green play a good 50 times, and to say or imply he's a branyon like defender, or just adequate screams of not seeing him play enough at 3b. He's an above average to plus defender at 3b and nothing you can read on the internet or stat sheets will ever show that. If you've seen him play in person enough to make that judgement based on your own information Ill just chalk it up to a different opinion. If you're basing it on what you've read, then well, it is what it is. I wasnt certain I still had a be a professional on a message board, Ill keep that in mind. In fairness to me, if I was more "professional" I wouldnt be here at all, I wouldnt be blogging and I most clearly wouldnt have any of the clients I have been fortunate enough to have. I like doing things the way I do now, I am sorry to disrupt your view of my "professionalism".

Thanks for the drama.

How did agent39 even start any 'drama'? Do you have a different agenda or something? I'm just curious since agent39 seems pretty professional pointing out why he has his opinion and you seem to throw that under a bus. You think 18 errors in 114 games is too many? I think you need to start a 'Mat Gamel sucks at defense thread' based on that logic. I haven't seen Green play at all on defense so I won't comment on that aspect I just would respect agent39's opinion. Obviously agent39 is going to support his clients, but at the same time I haven't heard anything that Green's defense is that awful and for the record players will have errors in the minors -- and he seems to be ahead of where Gamel is if we just use that silly stat.

I saw him play, and I represent him, and he's good defensively...paraphrased, of course.

Needless to say, that seems like a biased argument at best. X's facts seem far more reasonable and fact based. When no scouts say he's plus, only his agent, it's a tough sell.

I saw him play, and I represent him, and he's good defensively...paraphrased, of course.

Needless to say, that seems like a biased argument at best. X's facts seem far more reasonable and fact based. When no scouts say he's plus, only his agent, it's a tough sell.

See, this is the kind of post thats fair and totally valid. Im completely biased and it's a totally fair complaint, but I cant change that at all. Like I always say, take what I say about my own players with a grain of salt. I think over time here though I have proven to be semi-reliable in not distorting my guys abilities however. I didnt see a ton of facts in X's post though, buzz words like limited upside, raw ability etc. 18 errors in the fsl isnt a bad year for a 3b especially not a natural 3b. Like I said though, ask anyone who has seen him play, he's a very very good defender.

You think 18 errors in 114 games is too many? I think you need to start a 'Mat Gamel sucks at defense thread' based on that logic.
Have you ever read any of my posts? I've made it very clear that I don't believe in the Brewers ability to develop players defensively, and I'm on record saying Mat Gamel should be moved to another position so the Brewers can capitolize on his bat now as his defense is nowhere close to being ready. With the prices of todays pitching, I think the Oakland A's now have it right to put a high value on defense as its the most cost effective way to improve your pitching.

Well good thing no one said he couldn't play 3rd then. Thanks for the drama. I simply said he's not an asset defensively, and he is nothing more than average at best there. He lacks range, has a pedestrian arm, and 18 errors in 114 games is a little excessive. Adam Heether is a terrific defensive 3B, Green is no where near him, and has just half the range of Hall at 3rd. Green can play 3rd, as can Russel Branyan, but thats not going to be the ticket for playing time for either one.
Well Alcides Escobar is the best defensive player in the Brewers system, and he had 20 errors in 131 games. Is that excessive?

Well Alcides Escobar is the best defensive player in the Brewers system, and he had 20 errors in 131 games. Is that excessive?
Not that I know from watching him but a number Escobar's errors could be do to his exceptional range. He will get to more balls than almost any other player, so that could be why his errors are a little high.

Have you ever read any of my posts? I've made it very clear that I don't believe in the Brewers ability to develop players defensively, and I'm on record saying Mat Gamel should be moved to another position so the Brewers can capitolize on his bat now as his defense is nowhere close to being ready. With the prices of todays pitching, I think the Oakland A's now have it right to put a high value on defense as its the most cost effective way to improve your pitching.

I just think your error argument doesn't really care a lot of weight and really isn't valid. I've seen your posts about the Brewers' development issues, but I think bringing up a silly stat like errors when it's not even bad doesn't help your case. If it were true based on your logic with errors, Escobar isn't very good at defense either.

EDIT - I also think Al's post brings more logic and less emotion. Al has also seen him play so I respect his reasoning. I think you kind of pointed the finger at 'drama' when in fact you might have been the one causing it.

Archived