Brewer Fanatic

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley for sure (reply #178ish)

paul253
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I'm impatient but Cleveland is really ticking me off with this PTBNL...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Is Cleveland's choice based on if the Brewers make the playoffs or how far they go? For instance, if they don't get to the playoffs they can pull back one of the choices or something like that? I don't mean they wouldn't get anyone.

Is Cleveland's choice based on if the Brewers make the playoffs or how far they go? For instance, if they don't get to the playoffs they can pull back one of the choices or something like that? I don't mean they wouldn't get anyone.

I've never heard of a conditional pick like that being made in a baseball trade, though I suppose it is possible. If that was the case, I'm sure that type of info would never leak out (or would have by now if it was). It is quite common in the NFL though (see: Brett Favre).

I just think this says something about Cleveland. C'mon, you can't make up your mind yet? Institutionally paralyzed. I bet whoever they pick it's the wrong guy--the one who fizzles out into a non-prospect. Geesh...how pathetic.

If you are Cleveland, why not wait? You get the benefit of everyone playing and gaining experience at the Brewers expense. If someone suffers a catastrophic injury, the Brewers lose out, not you. It just seems like it would be a good idea to wait as long as allowable.

Looks like it is down to Green or Brantley. Tough call as to whom I'd prefer... Brantley would make a heckuva leadoff hitter (more walks than Ks) and has proven himself at a higher level but has less power, Green plays a position (or positions, if you look at 3B or 2B) that is thinner in the organization and has not yet made the big jump from A to AA.

That is a great point about the injuries; the longer they wait, if someone were to have a serious injury it would benefit them to still have options. Also better for the player, as they won't have to move mid-season.

To be honest, I can't imagine Cleveland passing on a potential offensive ignitor like Brantley.

While Green and Lucroy play positions that we have a need for, Brantley's success at AA, including advanced strikezone knowledge for someone his age, likely has him as the one they most desire. At this point I would imagine the person the Brewers would most like to deal (of the main 4 that are rumored) is Cain.

I still can't believe that Lucroy is actually one of the possibilities. It's so weird that the Brewers would make him available. If he is one and the Brewers make the playoffs, the Indians take him for sure, imo. Brantley is intriguing, but he's not necessarily an impact player if he's a corner OF or (especially) a 1st baseman. Meanwhile, Victor Martinez is rumored to play more 1st base next year, and Shoppach is good, but is not great defensively. I see the Indians being very interested in a catcher of the future.

And I agree that the Brewers would probably prefer the Indians take Cain, but I would think Brantley would be 2nd on that list from their perspective (if he can't play CF).

I still can't believe that Lucroy is actually one of the possibilities.

It's a good thing you can't believe it because I believe agent39 knows who it is (a client of his) so it's not Lucroy. I believe this is in one of the minor league threads or this thread.

I still can't believe that Lucroy is actually one of the possibilities.

It's a good thing you can't believe it because I believe agent39 knows who it is (a client of his) so it's not Lucroy. I believe this is in one of the minor league threads or this thread.

If it is indeed conditional, I would guess that agent Josh knows who the Indians would be picking, as its more likely the Brewers make the playoffs. (And the Brewers probably wouldn't tell the player and agent that they're the one they value least, when its likely they won't be picking the PTBNL anyway.) So speculating, the Indians will take on of Josh's clients - not Lucroy - and was already contacted by the Indians about it.

If we miss the playoffs, it could be someone else.

No you're twisting what he said.

"Which begs this question: Where would the Twins be if they'd held onto him for one more year? Santana may well have pitched them into the playoffs in front of all their young starters. Then next June, they would have had two No. 1 picks for Minnesota's scouting department. The Twins make few mistakes, but one cannot help but look at what they got for Santana, ask why they never asked for Mike Pelfrey, Jon Niese or Daniel Murphy from the Mets, and ask whether the 2008 playoffs and two draft picks would have been better? Or wonder if they could have traded Santana in June to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta and Michael Brantley"

I'm actually hearing something recently that if the Brewers miss the playoffs, there is no PTBNL. Weird.
That would eliminate my primary concern with aquiring Sabathia. I still would have rather aquired a long term solution for LaPorta/Fielder, but if indeed the Brewers wouldn't have to give up another prospect if they miss the playoffs that would have mitigated the risk significantly from the get go. My worst fear was aquiring Sabathia, missing the playoffs, and losing 2 top 10 prospects to do so.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived