Brewer Fanatic

Who will Cleveland pick? Latest -- It's Brantley for sure (reply #178ish)

paul253
Looking at the situation, it seems as if Agent39 knows who the player is.

If anybody really knew who it was going to be definitively, the player would have already been dealt. Why risk letting that player get hurt while playing for the Milwaukee's teams if Cleveland already knows who they want? As soon as Cleveland knows who they want, they will let it be known.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see Gillespie being on the list, too. More advanced and refined. Less potential, but more likely to max out.

Really, I don't view Green as a LH hitter, Louisly. I view him as a good hitter capable at 3b/2b, and I don't care about being rh/lh.

I really don't think the AFL assignments have anything to do with this. The Brewers ares simply responsible for providing a player in the position they reserved in the AFL. If Brantley is dealt, they'll just send Cain to the AFL.

As for Green, Cain, and Gillespie being injured right now, thats not a factor either. These players will not play for Cleveland until spring training. All these players will be 100% well before then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Cleveland columnist Paul Hoynes says there are four players on the list:

The Indians still haven't decided on a player to be named to complete the Sabathia trade with Milwaukee. They had a scout in Class AA Huntsville, Ala., on Sunday watching outfielder Michael Brantley go 0-for-5. Brantley is one of four players the Brewers have made available to the Tribe.

If Cain is not list then can we assume that list is Brantley, Lucroy, Green, and Gillespie. That is a nice list to choose from. Like most I would like to keep Lucroy and Green. I would like to keep Brantley as well, but if he cannot play CF he losses value. Gillespie is blocked at the corners with Hart and Braun so he would be my first choice to go if he is on the list.

Out of the guys being discussed, I think I'd be most ok with Lucroy leaving. I think Angel is next in line with the Brewers, and to be honest with you, Lucroy wasn't that spectacular for me. Was a slap hitter early on in his time here, but seems to be hitting the ball a little harder in BC. Of course, Agent 39 has been kinda quiet on this issue lately, and I think I heard him say that he wouldn't comment on anybody other than his players, so maybe Brantley, Cain, and Green are all 3 NOT the PTBNL. That would leave Lucroy, or perhaps someone else not even on the discussion list?

the deadline for any PTBNL is 6 months from the trade. Additionally, we know that when the trade happened, Cleveland said they'd wait until after the season to decide...I assume they mean minor league season. I guess lots didn't catch that, hence why some are so frustrated

Out of the guys being discussed, I think I'd be most ok with Lucroy leaving. I think Angel is next in line with the Brewers, and to be honest with you, Lucroy wasn't that spectacular for me. Was a slap hitter early on in his time here, but seems to be hitting the ball a little harder in BC. Of course, Agent 39 has been kinda quiet on this issue lately, and I think I heard him say that he wouldn't comment on anybody other than his players, so maybe Brantley, Cain, and Green are all 3 NOT the PTBNL. That would leave Lucroy, or perhaps someone else not even on the discussion list?

I want to know where this slap hitter comment is coming from. The guy has hit 19 homers this year and has a SLG % of .500. His defense is better than Angel's also. I guess I am miffed by your comments and dadofandrew.

He's 5th on the prospect list above of the others mentioned.

That's why we live in America, be miffed and say what you like. I've seen these guys play for an extended amount of time. Maybe Lucroy not as much, so I just tell you what I saw. I wasn't really impressed early on. Seems like he's a pretty solid guy, but not one of my favorites coming through Charleston...maybe more of a personal opinion. I'm just trying to figure out what comment that I made that "miffed you", but as I said before, you bring your point of view, I bring mine...great country isn't it!

That's why we live in America, be miffed and say what you like. I've seen these guys play for an extended amount of time. Maybe Lucroy not as much, so I just tell you what I saw. I wasn't really impressed early on. Seems like he's a pretty solid guy, but not one of my favorites coming through Charleston...maybe more of a personal opinion. I'm just trying to figure out what comment that I made that "miffed you", but as I said before, you bring your point of view, I bring mine...great country isn't it!

He's miffed that you called a guy with 19 homers and a slugging percentage of over .500, a slap hitter. I though that was clear in his post.

Was a slap hitter early on in his time here, but seems to be hitting the ball a little harder in BC.
Actually that was my comment. And I very strongly stand by that comment! Early in his time here, many of his hits came because he was slapping the ball around. My opinions are just my opinions, but they do come from watching these guys. I saw Braun hit the ball here, I saw Salome hit the ball here, I saw LaPorta hit the ball here. Those guys punished the ball. The only guy I have seem this year that hit the ball as hard this year here, has been Eric Fryer during his big streak. But before you start picking this apart, I'm not saying Fryer is a Power hitter in comparison to Lucroy. I was merely pointing out that my opinion of Jonathan Lucroy from his early time here in WV, was that he picked up a lot of slap hits "early on in his time here". If you guys get miffed over comments like that, I'm really sorry and maybe I should curtail my posts.

I don't disagree with what you say about Lucroy. I have seen them all play live and in person here in Charleston. My thoughts were in the discussion about who, of Green, Lucroy and Brantley would Cleveland pick, and be the best for Milwaukee to lose. I see Angel at a different place than Lucroy on the career progression. Angel is 3 full seasons with a wooden bat, Lucroy in his first. Angel has hit all the way through. My comments about Lucroy being a slap hitter was not meant to be mean and nasty, he just didn't hit the ball here with the authority the other guys I mentioned. My thoughts are with Kendall hitting .248 with 1 HR and 38RBI in 419 ABs, if Angel needs a defensive mentor, then now is the time with Kendall. Figuring the Brewers first pick of Lawrie made some catching prospect expendable, I figure it to be last guy in first guy out philosphy there. I wish all these guys the best of luck, and surely don't want to miff anyone with my viewpoints, but I have been watching the Power for the last 4 years, and have had my opinions on who will make it in my mind to the bigs, and I haven't been to far off base yet. Thanks for the stimulating debate!

Archived