Brewer Fanatic

Laynce Nix is no help

DonMoney4Mgr

In his last 84 major league at bats Nix is hitting an anemic .131 BA. with NO WALKS. I can't believe this is our best option during a pennant race. He flat out stinks. I am now convinced we won't see any of our prospects from Huntsville this year to try and help this team. In 02' the Marlins added a guy from their AA club in mid season named Miguel Cabrera. I think you might of heard of him.

Going down the stretch with the Counsel at third, Weeks at second, and guys like Nix getting any playing time really hurt our chances offensively. IMO, Melvin should take a chance with a Gamel or Brantley (.331 BA, .409 OB) or even Escobar.

Edit: Corrected spelling in title. - Toby

We'll see some of those guys from AA in a couple weeks.

The reason Nix was called up is because he is a corner outfielder with some pop, and he is filling a void left by an injured corner outfielder with pop. None of the AA guys outside of Gillespie really fill that void. While Nix has largely failed on the major league level, he at least has shown that he can get it done at AAA. None of the AA prospects have shown that yet.

Gamel, Brantley, Escobar and even Salome might become pretty good major league players, but to ask them to come up and perform anything like Miguel Cabrera is asking quite a bit. We caught 1.21 jiggawatts worth of lightning in a bottle in Braun last year. We'd be very lucky to have someone else come up and be half as good as that again out of the next wave of prospects.

Going down the stretch with the Counsel at third, Weeks at second, and guys like Nix getting any playing time really hurt our chances offensively. IMO, Melvin should take a chance with a Gamel or Brantley (.331 BA, .409 OB) or even Escobar.

You would like to put Escobar at a position he has never played professionally? Gamel's stat line looks good, but it has come down a bit. If the Brewers really started struggling, I could see that as a possibility to try to save the season.

I think that for such a short-term problem (Braun's day-to-day injury), starting Gamel's or Brantley's arby clock early isn't worth the handful of at-bats that Nix will get. If Brantley played a position that was open, or Gamel's defense dictated that he would be ready to man the hot corner, I could see more of a case for your argument.

BTW, You spelled Laynce's Nayme Wroyng. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

He has to bat 3rd, because he is in left field. I guess Yost could put Nix in center, Hart in left and Cameron in right to improve the batting order a bit. Unfortunately, there is simply no other way to put these guys in a different batting order.

I agree 100% with you but the problem is that Nix is batting 3rd and the first guy off the bench. If this is the case then they would be better off with Brantley.

Most current lineup analyzer people say your number 3 hitter isn't supposed to be one of your better hitters (cause he comes up so much with 2 out no one on). Obv Ned doesn't realize this so he's accidentally doing the right thing here imo.

I'm not worried about Nix, was only up to add an extra OF for a few days. I'm much more concerned with Weeks and Counsell's wet paper towel bats taking away AB's from Durham and Hall/Branyan. Now I know Russ is on the DL but Counsell was getting most of the PT before that anyway.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm much more concerned with Weeks and Counsell's wet paper towel bats taking away AB's from Durham and Hall/Branyan.

I guess I'd tend to view Hall's bat being as much of a wet paper towel as Weeks' & Counsell's.

And I agree, as much as Nix should be able to do something on offense, this is the 3rd different time he's come up and done next to nothing -- not that 5 or 6 ABs is much of a sample, but sooner or later the guy needs to show that he doesn't leave 100% of his hot hitting in AAA. Wasn't that what happened last year, too?

I guess I'd tend to view Hall's bat being as much of a wet paper towel as Weeks' & Counsell's.

Counsell 2008 OPS: 640

Hall 2008 OPS: 717

Neither's is all that good, but Hall's is better and he just has more pop. I'd rather take my chances with Hall. that's just me though.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Neither's is all that good, but Hall's is better and he just has more pop. I'd rather take my chances with Hall. that's just me though.

BAs are about the same. The OPS difference just means Hall hits the ball farther, esp. since Counsell walks at a better rate.

BAs are about the same. The OPS difference just means Hall hits the ball farther, esp. since Counsell walks at a better rate.

This is true, I guess I would really just have Branyan but he's on the DL.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Wow, based on a whole 5 ABs. And completely ignoring the catch in San Diego that very few would have been able to make.

I do have to admit though, I could have told you that the pitcher was going to throw a fastball for strike three last night. Nix doesn't guess correctly much.

BTW - Gamel post-All Star break: .532 OPS. He ain't exactly earning a callup right now. And Brantley is fresh of the DL, and Escobar doesn't play OF (and neither does Gamel).

and Escobar doesn't play OF (and neither does Gamel).

He isn't saying they should play OF. He clearly states that he isn't happy with Weeks and Counsell.

Thanks for posting Gamel's OPS of late. I knew it was low, but didn't know it was that low.

what irritates me is that by placing branyan on the disabled list and calling up an outfielder, the brewers had the opportunity to have tony gwynn, jr. (or another speedy outfielder) on their roster on 31 august and therefore, could include said speedster on their postseason roster (as well as branyan if they so desire--provided he's activated after 1 september).

now, if a speedster is called up on or after 1 september, he's not eligible for postseason play.

for my 25th man in the postseason, i'd much rather have tony gwynn, jr. or even mel stocker over laynce nix.

Archived