Brewer Fanatic

Prince's weight

Weirdos19

I think he wears a baggier jersey and pants this year. That's one major difference I see, that might make him look like he's gained more weight than he really has.

It's hard to say for sure how much weight he might have gained. He does look fatter though. Not sure how much his weight is affecting him now, but I see him becoming the next Mo Vaughn. It bet when he hits the age of 30, he will start getting injured frequently, and his production will rapidly drop.

He probably did gain weight (like 90+% sure), but c'mon. I don't think we really need to continually make exxagerated claims like '50 lbs heavier'. I'm not saying that specifically to the OP alone, but many posters who make the observations of weight gain seem to think that throwing out ridiculous numbers will make their case more compelling.

I wonder how many of you guys (if any) could outrun Prince in 90 feet?

Ever see the gut that hung over the belt of Reggie White? How about Warren Sapp? Those 2 guys, as well as many other big guys, were flat-out great athletes. They were stronger, faster, and had more stamina than their smaller counterparts, and they were all those things for many, many years. Big does not necessarily mean poor health or lack of athleticism.

I don't think he gained weight. I think he lost some height.

Well according the Brewers he did:

07: Prince Fielder: 6'0" 260 lbs

08: Prince Fielder: 5'11" 270 lbs

09: ?

I understand pro athletes fudging their height but come on. He doesn't realize a short power hitter will get extra props over a 6' power hitter. The Toy Cannon! Hack Wilson!

He has definetly gained some weight...not 50 pounds though. My biggest problem with his weight is I just feel like it shows a lack of committment. Position players in baseball are really dependent on being in top shape to be as quick as possible. It is no surprise that Prince is an absolutely terrible 1st baseman with all the weight he is carrying. He also has to be pushed around the bases basically to score. When you are getting paid millions based on what your body can do I think it is unacceptable to be fat...and lets not compare him to an NFL lineman as it is often times a benefit to be real big for what they do.

Community Moderator
I never used to think he gained weight either, until I saw a replay of his first ML home run from 2006. I didn't even recognize him. Baggy jersey or not, he's gained significant weight. It was so shocking that I can't rule out 50 lbs, although I'm guessing it's more like 30 in the last 2 years.

I was suprised at the difference as well. It really shows around his neck and face. Put me in the "gained 30 lbs" court.

Seems like there has to be some connection to his contract unhappiness... where there's smoke, there's often fire.

You're joking right? You might be out of shape...I don't know... but to assume he could beat all of us in a race is hilarious.

I work out everyday and I guarantee you I would score before he made it to third base. My marathon pace is nearly as fast as his sprint pace.

His weight was the first thing I noticed when I turned on the rebroadcast.

Yup, I totally noticed it. I happen to turn on the TV in my office to play Xbox and it was on FSN and the first thing I saw was Prince batting and I thought wow, he looked A LOT thinner back then. I mean much more lean. I can't believe he could have put on that much weight.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I wonder how many of us are better at accounting, sales, IT, etc. than Prince? He gets paid to be an athlete most of us here don't so it's a moot point IMO.

I agree with twobrewers though that his weight doesn't matter as much to me as long as he's not signed long-term. There's no way I'd given him $10 million + per year if it was a 6 or 7 year deal. The way Mark has ran this franchise tells me that if it makes sense they'll extend Prince. I think the Brewers have talked to Prince and/or Boras about the situation and have made it known his conditioning is a concern going forward -- all speculation on my part. The Brewers should be concerned about it since he has gained weight. I think it's obvious that he's gained weight, but how much or how little it's impacted his game we don't know. I would like to see Prince wear a smaller uniform and part of me thinks his baggy uni is hiding his weight gain, but it is obvious when he's running around the bases he's up a few pounds IMO.

It may not be a huge worry for his time in Milwaukee if he's traded or let go when he's a free agent, but it is a huge concern if he's extended since chances are his athleticism won't be able to make up for his weight and lack of conditioning. Again, this is all speculation and there isn't a 'right' answer, but agree with the post above that Prince reminds me of a potential Mo Vaughn in the making.

Archived