Brewer Fanatic

Are the Brewers trying to win the World Series this year?

naivin
Obviously that is the ultimate goal of every team, but to take a peek inside the heads of Attanasio and Melvin, is that the goal this year, or, is this another season of getting better, with an eye on the future? I would say it appears that Jim Hendry, Lou Piniella and company do have their sights set on the WS, so as the deadline approaches what is the Brewers position? Will they go for it, stand pat, or perhaps even make a move aimed at getting better next year and beyond? What's your opinion on our contender status, and what do you believe Attanasio/Melvin's opinion(s) to be?

I honestly believe Mark A. and Melvin are going to try and see just how far this current team can go. While I don't necessarily feel this team will stand pat, I don't see Melvin mortgaging our future for a win-it-now mentality. Nor do I feel we trade away any of our big names to build for the future. If they do make a trade, it will be a minor one, just to strengthen the bullpen or bench, but nothing dramatic. Ultimately, while I would love to see a WS just like anyone. It may actually be better for the Brewers to advance as far as the NLDS or NLCS. That would make these young kids unafraid of big time games, and bring them back hungry for next season.

From everything I've seen, heard or read, DM and MA both believe we have a chance to win it all this year and are willing to do whatever it takes. That being said, they've both indicated that the Crew will also be very prudent in not trading away the future either.

As a fan, I believe they have as reasonable of a shot at a WS title as any team this year. But as disappointing as it will be if they don't, I'm very happy to hear that they're not going to trade away the future. With the average age of our up and coming stars (Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Hall, Gallardo, Parra, etc.), this team could be very good for years to come. And as long as we continue drafting well, we really do have the Braves model in motion. For example, we could conceivably let Sheets depart in FA, receive the draft picks and plug in a very highly rated prospect to take over (don't panic, just using it as an example).

So I believe they're taking the right approach. I'd be happy if they can find an OF and middle reliever to help us, but will be equally happy if they don't because they didn't want to overpay. It's a pretty solid team when firing on all cylinders (which could very well be the difference in the end due to their relative youth).

Quote:
DM and MA both believe we have a chance to win it all this year and are willing to do whatever it takes. That being said, they've both indicated that the Crew will also be very prudent in not trading away the future either.

Not to be difficult, but those two goals are mutually exlcusive. If you're willing to do whatever it takes, that may mean trading away part of the future. And if you continue to draft and develop players well, that shouldn't even affect the future all that much anyhow.

Example. I would be shocked if the Brewers could land Griffey for the stretch run. But if they really were willing to "do whatever it takes" that would mean giving Cincy (a division rival by the way) something more than Balfour and a bag of seeds.

I'll disagree a little bit and maybe clarify what I meant (which may really be the problem).

If they see someone available who would OBVIOUSLY help us reach and possibly win the WS, I believe they'd be willing to part with major future pieces. So, they're willing to do whatever it takes for an absolute, but not willing to do whatever it takes to do something at all risky. Does that make it clearer or did I just muddy my thoughts even more?

For example, if Minnesota came and said Santana was available, I'm thinking they may try to put a package together. Ok, that may be an over-the-top example, but that's what I mean. They'd be willing to do what it takes if they thought it would almost guarantee a trip to the WS. Otherwise, they'll bring in smaller pieces and/or stand pat.

Ok, I'll shut up now as I'm probably not explaining myself any better.

Ok, I understand. So it really comes down to value, which is the way Melvin evaluates any potential deal- pennant race or not.

But I still don't believe the Brewers would do what it takes to get a real stud starting pitcher or big bat. Look at what the Rangers did last year. They got Carlos Lee for 3 players they felt were role players, really only two because one was compensation for Cruz.

I could see the Brewers making a move like that. A big stick in LF for Mench and Spurling as an example. Even a bit more than that. What I don't see them doing is trying to land a guy like Cabrera for Parra, Vargas and Villy.

Basically, even though that may be a "fair" trade for a player like Cabrera the Brewers won't bite on something like that.

The issue I see is, this team is at the beginning of a run, not nearing the end of one. I think management is trying to upgrade the roster for this season, but not at the cost of the next 3-5 years.

Imagine how mad you would be if the Brewers got Dye or Torii Hunter, but gave up Gallardo to do so. If you believe what the Brewers are saying, that seems to be the type of offers they've gotten of late.

The Lee trade from last year would equate to something like Mench, Turnbow and Gwynn for Hunter and a AAA player.

Would you do that right now?

MA and DM are definitely making a run this year, IMO. But, you have to have the pulse of your team. They may decide that there is no trade out there that can benefit this team right now, so they might not pull off even one single trade.

That doesn't mean that the Cubs are trying harder now than the Brewers are. The Cubs seem to think that adding Jason Kendall has improved their team for the stretch run, so they made the trade. The Brewers would have never traded for Kendall, because he would not be an upgrade. So, you can't look at how many trades a team makes and say, "okay, the Cubs are trying to win because they have made 2 trades and the Brewers are not trying to win now because they haven't made any trades."

In order to get something of value, you have to give up something of value. So, DM has to weigh the benefits of adding Player A with the loss associated with subtracting Player B.

Quote:
The Lee trade from last year would equate to something like Mench, Turnbow and Gwynn for Hunter and a AAA player. Would you do that right now?

Would Melvin? No. And that's basically what I said above. Even though that trade may be "fair" Melvin won't do it, because it's giving up too much.

Would I do it? Yes. Mench and Gwynn don't figure to be starters in the future anyhow. Turnbow has some value to this team, but with Wise, Villy, Parra, etc. he is not untouchable by any means.

If I give up players that don't figure to be starters- either position players or pitchers, I would deal for a big stick or top of the rotation starter down the stretch.

Why? As bright as the future looks they may never have an opportunity like this again. Injuries, players not living up to potential, greater competition from a team (or more) emerging as a powerhouse...all these things could happen.

This year, right now, the Brewers are in position to play in the World Series. After 25 years. There comes a point when I believe in"going for it." That doesn't mean trading guys like Yo, Villy, Braun, Fielder, etc. But guys like Mench and Turnbow can be replace relatively easily.

So, you can't look at how many trades a team makes and say, "okay, the Cubs are trying to win because they have made 2 trades and the Brewers are not trying to win now because they haven't made any trades."

Another great point that hasn't been made often enough. Who could the Brewers have gotten to upgrade from Estrada/Miller? Probably no one.

So, continue to look around the team and there aren't many areas where they can upgrade with what's available (as DM has said many times when asked).

1B - ok

2B - possibility depending on what's available (Castillo?)

SS - ok, unless you believe Hardy is in a really bad funk

3B - ok

LF - possibility, but it would really need to be better than Menchkins.

CF - ok assuming Hall is back this week

RF - ok

C - ok

Bench - ok

SP - ok, unless you can find someone better than Gallardo (which is kind of tricky to measure given his relative inexperience) Looks good now, but will the league figure him out the second time around?

RP - add a lefty

Go through the same exercise with Chicago or St. Louis and you probably have more areas where they need to make a deal because they believe they need upgrades.

Quote:
SP - ok, unless you can find someone better than Gallardo

Ok is the right word. To really make a splash in September and October, what three SP would you hang your hat on?

Sheets- Yes, if he can return to form by then. Not a given.

Yo- Probably yes, I would go with him.

Suppan- Playoff experience, but otherwise doesn't give you much confidence

Cappy- Pitched very well his last couple starts, but I would need to see far more of it before I feel good.

Bush,Vargas- Well, at least Vargas starting would guarantee the Brewers would get their bats out.

Personally, I would get a #2 starter if you don't have to give up too much. If it's just another middle of the rotation guy, we're good there.

Quote:
Personally, I would get a #2 starter if you don't have to give up too much.
That's the problem though. We would more than likley have to give up one of our young players and damage our chances for the future to get a player of this caliber. I don't remember who said it, but our best bet to win a WS is to make the playoffs as many years as we can. Once you are in the post season who wins is pretty much a crap shoot. If you think about it the wild card team is actually the second best team in the palyoffs in many cases.

The only spot we could reasonably make an upgrade is LF and as long as Menchkins is used properly there aren't to many players that would give us much better production. I can't think of anybody in the minors right now who is blocked and an obvious candidate to get traded. All our young pitchers will get their shot in the next 2-3 years since many of our current pitchers are going to have expiring contracts or be past their arbitration years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived