Brewer Fanatic

Brewers on TMZ

jnatro
And Rivera rocking the mockable Affliction tee...

Why is an Affliction tee mockable?

They are ugly as sin (says the guy who know nothing about fashion).

I guess to each his own, I think they look pretty sharp. I own a few.

Here's the thing:

It's a $60 tshirt that most people have purchased because some other dude's name is on it. Not only that, but I find it weird to see grown men in wizard/dragon/tiger/samurai screen-printed shirts. You can buy something similar at Kohl's now for less than half the price.

We kept track of how many we saw at Summerfest and we got into double digits in one day. And here's the weird thing to me: the guys wearing them tend to be muscle-bound, fit, "cool" guys. And yet, these guys would have beat up a kid in high school who was wearing a tshirt with a dragon on it. Now, because it says Ryan Braun and is $60 - it's ok to wear.

I just find it silly, I guess.

I have yet to see a Braun appearance where he's wearing something other than a jersey or Affliction gear. He did a signing at a car dealership a month or two ago and had jeans with skulls screenprinted on them. And I just can't help but think what mid-20-something wears screenprinted jeans, you know? And pays $200 for them?

Here's the thing:

It's a $60 tshirt that most people have purchased because some other dude's name is on it. Not only that, but I find it weird to see grown men in wizard/dragon/tiger/samurai screen-printed shirts. You can buy something similar at Kohl's now for less than half the price.

We kept track of how many we saw at Summerfest and we got into double digits in one day. And here's the weird thing to me: the guys wearing them tend to be muscle-bound, fit, "cool" guys. And yet, these guys would have beat up a kid in high school who was wearing a tshirt with a dragon on it. Now, because it says Ryan Braun and is $60 - it's ok to wear.

I just find it silly, I guess.

I have yet to see a Braun appearance where he's wearing something other than a jersey or Affliction gear. He did a signing at a car dealership a month or two ago and had jeans with skulls screenprinted on them. And I just can't help but think what mid-20-something wears screenprinted jeans, you know? And pays $200 for them?

Well, there is a world of fashion that extends beyond Kohl's and Summerfest.

I disagree that people only buy these items because they're $60 and worn by Braun. Items like this are hot right now, and people with discerning taste can tell the difference between Affliction and Kohl's. Affliction is not marketing to Joe-six pack. Check out a GQ or Esquire, this is the direction fashion is going. It just takes a little longer to get to the Midwest, but the fact that Kohl's is entering that market proves that people are buying.

You are telling me that if you had your own clothing line, you wouldn't wear it to public events? Right.

He's just marketing his product. Sounds like smart business to me, and apparently its working as you see people all over Milwaukee rocking these t's.

Personally, I don't have any problem with them. I think its nuts to pay $60 for a t-shirt, but they do look pretty cool. If they were closer $20 I would probably buy a few. On the screenprinted jeans, I think Ryan Bruan is a very fashionable guy and he admits to loving fashion. Not necessarily my thing, but good for him. Looks like that is working too considering he's hanging out with supermodels. Can't really knock him for that one.

I wasn't knocking Braun for wearing his own stuff, I was knocking the stuff itself. I completely understand why he's wearing it and why guys on the team are wearing it. The company has done an incredible job of marketing and has people in Milwaukee spending $60 for a tshirt. Well done. I never once said there was a problem with it.

What I gave was my opinion of the product.

People are buying the shirt because it's in GQ and because it says Ryan Braun. Absolutely. My point about it being sold at Kohl's is that by the time a store like Kohl's is mass marketing it, it's well on it's way to having jumped the shark. If people in Milwaukee are wearing it, it's probably not all that fashionable in places like LA and NY anymore. In the midwest, we tend to be significantly slower to get fads than the coasts.

There are a lot of fads I think are weird, I'm certainly not picking on this one specifically. That being said, not matter the cost of the shirt or the name on it, I'm always going to think a grown man in a samurai/tiger/wizard/dragon shirt is weird and I stand by my logic that most of you would have beat up the type of kid in school who would have worn shirts with those things on them. Now, because the shirt is expensive and Ryan Braun's name is on it, you'll wear it and I find that entertaining.

To an extent, you're right - we know of the fads much earlier now. But we have to wait for local stores to be carrying them. Since we don't have as many of the high-end stores, we have to wait until the products are mass-produced.

Super trendy people will shop online pay the higher price and have things asap, but I think your average Milwaukeean will not being doing that and will wait til stores like Urban Outfitters have them.

And here's the weird thing to me: the guys wearing them tend to be muscle-bound, fit, "cool" guys.

Well I would say I am far from being msucle-bound, fit and cool. I do agree about jeans, I would never buy "designer" jeans. I buy all my jeans from Kohls.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

People are buying the shirt because it's in GQ and because it says Ryan Braun.
FWIW, the last GQ I read knocked these shirts.

I do agree these shirts show the power of great advertising. Tristarscoop is spot on with how a lot of the guys wearing these shirts were making fun of "nerds" in high school for wearing something similar. I'd say the only difference is these shirts are t's rather than button-up.

I always thought they looked a bit odd, but I don't feel the need to knock anyone's clothing style.

About the skull jeans - I have a pair of Marc Ecko Cut & Sew jeans with skulls sewed into the back pockets. Not screenprinted. I like the way they look. I have a bunch of pairs of Ecko jeans, that's almost all I buy nowadays, but that's the only pair with any crazy stuff sewed into them.

Archived