Brewer Fanatic

How much do you tip Delivery guys?

yoshii8
Now, the next time I go in, I get the same server. Now I have to be worried about the content of my food. I would much rather not have to worry about tipping and voice my displeasure annonomously with a phone call to the restaurant manager making him or her aware of the situation and then they take any action that is needed to correct the situation. Bad tips don't encourage better service, they just make for angry service providers.

In ten years in food service in Florida, Wisconsin, and Chicago, I never once saw someone do something to someone's food anywhere, from the nastiest diners to Michelin starred restaurants. I'm not saying it's never happened anywhere; I just think it's a very overstated fear (and that crummy movie Waiting didn't help subside people's concerns).

That said, if I had regulars who I knew were bad tippers, I'd definitely prioritize when they were in my section--I wasn't going to invest more time serving them than I absolutely needed to if there was other tables to be served or work to be done.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't tip the garbage man, but I get him a $20 gift card (along with my postman) as a Christmas tip.

As far as delivery goes, $3 I think is pretty standard for me. If they charge a lot for delivery, that goes down, if nothing, that goes up.

I also tip on takeout, although closer to 10-15%. The host(ess) still has to run back and grab the stuff, and someone needs to box it all up.

I guess if I consistently tipped slowly, I'd expect the hair content of my food to vary inversely. People remember good and bad tippers.

"Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair.

I did, however, tip my urologist. Because, I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones." - Dwight Schrute

I'm sorry, but I had to, it was too easy.

I usually tip 10% to 20% I guess. Depends upon the level of service and how nice the person is.

Is this common to tip the garbageman?

I didn't think so, but then my garbage cans started getting stacked in the middle of the driveway. I'm not caving though.

Eventually I may need to resort to the giant boulder like in Funny Farm.

Patrick, I agree with your general take on the payment system being part of the problem. That said, I tip hair cutters because they are standing around in hair all day, and that's disgusting. I feel they are owed a couple of dollars, even if they did choose the job.

What about tip jars on the counter? Who gets that money? Those always make me stop and think before dropping in a tip. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

If it didn't violate every BF.net standard, someone could post the scene from Reservoir Dogs about tipping.

You may run like Mays...

originally To Insure Promptness was the reason.

When you're at the ballpark, do you tip the vendors? - you should. I also tip the people at the concession counter - they either split it or it may go to some charity depending on who's working that day.

I always tip my hair cutter and like Brian the newspaper and mail delivery guys at the end of the year.

The pizza delivery guy probably gets the delivery fee and that may be all he gets as a salary so he always gets tipped. Sometimes the amount of time it takes has nothing to do with him but rather the kitchen.

I used to bartend as a profession so I understand the process.

I live in an area where pizza delivery is non-existent, but when I have the chance to have it delivered, I guess I tip close to what I'd tip a server in the restaurant. I do try to have my payment pre-counted, so we don't have to fiddle with change.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen to restaurant food prices if tips were eliminated and servers were paid the $18 or so per hour that they take home with tips. I wouldn't bet against Patrick425 being correct that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I believe the contents of tip jars are split among whoever is on a particular shift.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I almost always leave a tip for anyone, vendors at stadiums (when I would go to games, I'm geographically challenged right now), I tip people who cut my hair, and of course deliverers of food. I usually give them a pretty good tip because I appreciate them allowing ME to be lazy. I've never really been stingy with money so if a good tip can make someone's night go a little better, so be it.

I deliver now and again for a sandwich shop. I'd expect enough to cover gas and additional wear-and-tear on the car, so the further you live/work from the restaurant, you should tip accordingly. 15%-20% is great for me -- this is why I love delivering large orders at lunchtime to offices. My gas is covered, plus I'll have a little to put in my wallet. From what I've encountered, most people don't tip for great service, but just to cover the expenses I face.

Sometimes the amount of time it takes has nothing to do with him but rather the kitchen.

I'll definitely agree with this. In fact, I'd say that the kitchen has the most to do with the time it takes to deliver. When I'm out on delivery, I know exactly where I'm going and I'm hauling butt. Plus, I absolutely dread facing ornery customers when I "took too long."

I tip my beer vendor at the stadium every time. A) They deserve it, as it's very hard work. B) I used to tend bar so I know what tips are all about. C) If you tip enough and often, they'll be back to your section and will "cater" to you a bit more and more often as the game progresses, which is nice.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Pizza guy gets $4 (plus the change), Chinese food guy gets $5. Every time. Seems like a crappy job, or at lest one where people might treat you poorly, I guess I"m kind of a sucker.

I also "round up" at the stadium for the vendors who bring my beverages. That job looks TERRIBLE, more so on hot days with 45,000 people in the stands.

At a restaurant I always give 20% minimum, more if the service was good. I used to wait tables "back in the day", I guess I leave a, "I'm with you" type tip. I even clean up the table before I leave.

Bartender always gets a buck ever few rounds. This one usually leads to free drinks as the night goes along.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

When you're at the ballpark, do you tip the vendors? - you should. I also tip the people at the concession counter - they either split it or it may go to some charity depending on who's working that day.

I always tip my hair cutter and like Brian the newspaper and mail delivery guys at the end of the year.

I worked as a food vendor for 5 years, and tips were always nice. I noticed they went WAAAY up after the switch to Miller Park. Practically nobody tipped me at County Stadium, but tons of people did at Miller Park. I know a bunch of that has to do with increased attendance; it also didn't hurt that the Brewers raised prices of a lot of things by 25 cents. When peanuts cost $3.25 instead of $3 (which were the prices during the first year of MP and the last year of CS), people are much more inclined to give a tip. It's pretty easy to just say "keep the silver," or pay with a 5 and say "no change." That added up pretty quickly over the course of a night.

A question for those of you who tip mail carriers and garbagemen: how do you go about doing it? We moved in June and I have yet to see my mail carrier or garbageman because they seem to always come when I am not at home.

Bartender always gets a buck ever few rounds. This one usually leads to free drinks as the night goes along.

That's it? I tend to tip more toward $1/drink....exception being if drinks are crazy cheap (like $1) then I wait till I leave and toss out $5-$10, depending on how many drinks me/the group had.

As a manager of Pizza Hut

I've always wondered, with all of our information on your restaurant computer, do you have a little comments section like the doctors did for Elaine on Seinfeld? Drivers come back and enter a note, "poor tip again" or am I just crazy?

I just figured that when I call, you have my delivery information pulled up simply from my phone number.

no there is nothing like that but..... alot of drivers will remember houses that do not tip on a regular basis and adjust there route accordingly. When they have two orders and one person they know always tips well and someone that hardly ever tips, then the good tip is gonna be delivered first. As far as the delivery charge, that is built in for the people that don't tip, please don't assume the delivery charge is the tip. On the delivery charge at my store, the charge is 2.75 and the driver only get some of that. So just because there is a delivery charge don't assume that a tip should not be considered.

Do you guys at least reimburse for mileage on the car? Probably doesn't help much with gas prices where they are anyway. Back in myyyyyyy dayyyyyyy (old man voice) gas was like $1.25 a gallon so that wasn't a big problem.

The driver gets $2.00 per run. if a driver is only taking 7-8 runs a shift on a slower shift they are only making 14-16 dollars. When you take out the money for gas it does not leave much. I have seen it far to often, drivers don't make tips and they will quit. When drivers quit, it is sometimes hard to replace them and thats why delivery will be longer.

That's kind of what I figured, Trombone, a mental inventory kept by the drivers as to whom tips well. There is a Pizza Hut near me that usually gets the food here in 20 minutes when I order it online. I figure that my tips are decent to get my pizza that quickly.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

That's it? I tend to tip more toward $1/drink....exception being if drinks are crazy cheap (like $1) then I wait till I leave and toss out $5-$10, depending on how many drinks me/the group had.

I always tip at least a buck a drink, no matter what, even if the drinks are crazy cheap. In my opinion that is all the more reason to not be cheap to the bartender, who is basically doing the same amount of work no matter what the drink costs. Unless you get some kind of girlie drink, then that is extra work.

I recently got a part time job delivering pizzas, and I have to say I really enjoy it. However I'm amazed at how little some people tip me. Whenever I order out I always tip the drivers at least 20%, I figure thats the least I can do since they are bringing food to my house.

Am I tipping to much, or are others tipping to little?

How much do you get paid hourly aside from tips? Waiters generally make below minimum wage, which is why they are generally tipped around 20%.

edit: I missed the post where you touched on this. If that's the case, you should get 20% like everyone else. Here's the problem: how are we to know that? To be honest, I'm very surprised that you are paid below minimum wage, I never would have expected that. Tipping really should be deprecated. Why can't we just add it into the price of the food, pay servers normal wages, and be done with it? That just seems 1000x more efficient.

Archived