Brewer Fanatic

High School Pride: Your colors, mascot, preps

jaybird2001wi
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Janesville Craig for me. The Cougars.

Blue and White. Too computer illiterate to post a logo.

Congressman Paul Ryan was my gym leader my sophomore year.

Russ Feingold

Senator Tim Cullen

Travis Kvapil is from Janesville too. Not sure what high school. Not a whole lot of letters are passed out for racing.

MFL High School, Monona, Iowa. Class of 1986

Colors were blue and gold

Mascot = Bulldogs

Most famous alumni is Raef LaFrentz. Being an Iowa State alumni, I used to hate it when bus loads of Monona residents would head to Ames to cheer for Raef and Kansas whenever they played Iowa State. LaFrentz's dad was our industrial arts and PE teacher. The guy was ultra competitive at everything. He could never beat me in table tennis despite his worst efforts, which included cheating, calling me every swear word in the book, and shattering a paddle against a wall. By the time he was in the second grade, everyone in town knew that Raef would be playing college ball somewhere.

When I was a sports stringer (correspondent in other words) for the Beloit Daily News a few years back I covered high school basketball, football and hockey games for the following schools, CAPS indicate I was at their high school for the games:

1) BELOIT TURNER Girls Basketball (somehow they ALWAYS sent me to cover their games and there were times after watching them play I wondered why, but they were adequate with solid individual talent but just couldn't collectively bring it together)

2) BELOIT MEMORIAL Football (I now know why its more than a tip to write in pencil when doing notes on the games, ink smears in the rain)

3) JANESVILLE PARKER Girls Basketball

4) BRODHEAD Boys Basketball

5) ORFORDVILLE Parkview Boys Basketball

6) Janesville Craig Football (I got lost trying to find Monterrey Stadium, and by the way I thought I was going to get killed downtown trying to find it)

7) Edgerton Football

8) CLINTON Boys Basketball

9) CLINTON Girls Basketball

10) WALWORTH BIG FOOT Boys Basketball

11) ROCKTON (HONONEGAH, Ill.) Boys Basketball - Home of Indy Racer Danica Patrick

12) SOUTH BELOIT, Ill. (Their nickname was the SoBos because they apparently couldn't think of any other name) Football and Basketball

13) Poynette Boys Basketball (they apparently have to travel all the way to Beloit Turner for some reason)

14) BELOIT MEMORIAL Hockey (they play at the Pavilion converted to hockey arena next to Pohlman Field, the metal bleachers can freeze your butt during games)

15) Madison LaFollette Hockey (they played against Beloit Memorial)

16) Some other Madison high school hockey team I can't remember right now against Beloit Memorial

17) The majority of the teams I covered always seemed to have Vikings as a nickname, I can't figure out the others.

I covered one event for the Oconomowoc Focus as a favor to a former Royal Purple colleague at Oconomowoc High against Waukesha Catholic Memorial

Then when I had an internship in Whitewater and Palmyra-Eagle, I basically spent a ton of time at both high schools trying to dig up ANY sports story during the dead of summer.

The Cambridge guy is Matt Kenseth....from the sounds of it , thank god he found racing. He seems like a real decent dude though and his wife Katie, at least in 2002 was smokin hot.

As far as Dodgeville, Ann Ladd is at least normal compared to those creepers that dug up that grave. I am going to bring some positive from Dodgeville. Bobby Wunnicke , excellent wrestler and 4 time state champ i believe even though die hard wrestling fans know their should be an * ... still a good wrestler.

I am from Pittsville...a Panther.. We are the exact center of Wisconsin and had the first 4 time champ in Matt Hanutke. Other then that, about 20 minutes from here in Auburndale is where Mark Tauscher played high school ball and Jordan Zimmerman was drafted by the Nationals. from a little hick bar type town in Rozellville is where Super Bowl Champ Rich.Streubel?..something...lol...played for the Super Bowl champion Giants.

Of Notre Dame Academy in Green Bay.

Somewhat related, I remember losing to WISAA champs DePere Abbot Pennings in basketball in their last year as a school. Then they were folded into Notre Dame. They had some division 1 players over the years (Kevin and Chris Rankin?)

Kevin (Northwestern?) and Darren (Harvard? or maybe Princeton) were. I don't think Chris was D1. Darren and Chris were NDA grads. I threw an alleyoop dunk to Darren at a lock in my freshman year. My 15 minutes http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.alumniclass.com/school_images/products/9794/tshirt_style2.jpg

http://www.wauwatosawestbaseballclub.info/Graphics/School_Logos/whitnall_falcons.gif

Falcones, Falcones, Ra! Ra! Ra!

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Whitnall?

Whatever happened to Dwayne Wilson and Elliot Henderson? Those fellas rocked the Parkland back in the day.

Xavier and Drake, right?

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'm a Lodi Blue Devil. Colors are blue and white.

http://images.yuku.com/image/bmp/28625f59607d8fdb13c2d7c86e593602a7fbe7d.bmp

Athletically we are known for wrestling, we seem to make it to team state every year. We also had a run of golf championships back in the mid-late 90's.

Our only real famous alum is Tom Wopat, who played Luke Duke in the original "The Dukes of Hazzard" tv series.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/aa73582f909b76a7fb021546280f09f7be454ac.jpg

I'm a Lodi Blue Devil. Colors are blue and white.

http://images.yuku.com/image/bmp/28625f59607d8fdb13c2d7c86e593602a7fbe7d.bmp

Did they intend to steal Duke's mascot and just replace the D with an L?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I was a Fond du Lac St. Mary Springs Ledger, class of 1970.

Our nickname, Ledgers, comes from the fact that the school is located on "the ledge" just east of Fondy. Our colors were (and still are) Royal Blue and White.

Of course Springs is famous for having one of the winningest (if not The winningest) high school football coaches of all time with numerous state titles (most were WISAA), Bob Hyland, who came to the school in fall of 1971 and is still coaching.

The most famous alums are rabies survivor Jeanna Giese, and Chicago radio icon Jonathon Brandmeier.

Marquette University High School Hilltoppers.

I still wish MU would have gone back to that nickname. I graduated in '99. I miss WISAA, because of the rivalries, too. I think I really hated the disdain we got from most of the public schools in the conference. I grew up in public schools, then went to a private high school and college. Now I teach in a public school. But I'll never get why so many public school students/teachers/parents have deep-rooted resentment towards private schools. I don't get it, because I've known so many genuine people that strongly believe in community issues and care about the world that come from both private and public schools (although probably private school folks generally felt moreso that they could make an impact and change the world for the better), yet many ardent public school supporters will take every chance they can to criticize private schools. It really frustrates me hearing this, especially as a teacher.

I went to a public school and my football team played your school in 99' and I didn't have disdain for you school. Some of your people did have that I am better then you mentality. And when your football has kicking nets and almost looks like a semi-pro football team there is gonna be some disdain. Also when your fans throw stuff at our band as they are on the other side of the track waiting to do the halftime show then ovbviously there is gonna be some animosity

Trombone482...I never really felt any ill will from WAC. They beat us our senior year ('98-99) in football in the state tournament, I think, but that's one of the few games I've ever seen where I truly blame refs. I remember we had a successful onside kick (although we don't deserve to win if we needed an onside kick) that went 13 yards, hit a WAC player, bounced back and was recovered by MUHS, but the refs ruled it didn't go 10 yards and wasn't touched by the opponent. I only remember it because we had a really bad weekend sports-wise. For one thing, my Calc teacher was the AD and football coach and it was the only time all year that he mentioned sports in class (I was impressed), telling us that the team video was being sent in to WIAA. Secondly, a classmate was accused by Tosa East's volleyball coach of being mean and showing poor sportsmanship. It was crazy because the reporter only asked one team--Tosa East-- and never asked our school to comment on it. It was odd, because he was the best volleyball player in the state and strived to the the best. Yet by dominating and not going lightly he was openly criticized in the paper. The good news is that he's happy and a doctor.

As I was saying, we had no issues at WAC. WAC ran that cool offense in football where nobody in the stands could tell who had the ball due to fake handoffs. Also, it might skew my opinion since WAC wasn't much of a threat to MUHS at the time in the big sports--basketball and football. I remember some great games at WAC, include one where I think our shooting guard hit a 40 footer at the buzzer to force OT. WAC had some good crowds for hoops, although I hated the fieldhouse.

Did they intend to steal Duke's mascot and just replace the D with an L?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

It's sad, because I REALLY hate Duke. Lodi seems to switch helmet logos every other year though. When I played (97-00), we started out with motion "LHS" logos. Then, my junior year they switched to a pretty cool "L" logo. Then a couple years ago, they had a L logo with a with a devil face carved out of the L. That one was my favorite. But the new one is just a rip off of Duke, as you said. But there's only so much you can do with the Blue Devil mascot.

Actually, looking at that link I posted there's tons of ripoffs of college and professional logos.

Amherst Falcons = Atlanta Falcons

Augusta Beavers = Oregon State Beavers

Baldwin-Woodville Blackhawks = Florida State Seminoles

Bay Port Pirates = East Carolina Pirates

Berlin Indians = Florida State Seminoles

Brodhead-Juda Cardinals = Arizona Cardinals

Gilman Pirates = East Carolina Pirates

Kettle Moraine Lutheran Chargers = Denver Broncos

Little Chute Mustangs = Southern Methodist University Mustangs

Lodi Blue Devils = Duke Blue Devils

Manitowoc Roncalli Jets = New York Jets

Mayville Cardinals = Arizona Cardinals

Milwaukee Vincent Vikings = Minnesota Vikings

Milwaukee Washington Generals = Wisconsin Badgers

Mondovi Buffaloes = Buffalo Bills

New Berlin Eisenhower Lions = Michigan Wolverines

New Berlin West Vikings = Minnesota Vikings

Potosi Chieftains = Florida State Seminoles

Random Lake Rams = St. Louis Rams

Sheboygan Falls Falcons = Atlanta Falcons

Sparta Spartans = Michigan State Spartans

Three Lakes Blue Jays = Toronto Blue Jays

Tri County Penguins = Michigan Wolverines

Two Rivers Purple Raiders = Oakland Raiders

Wausau Newman Cardinals = Arizona Cardinals

Waukesha North Northstars = Dallas Cowboys

Westby Norsemen = Wisconsin Badgers

Wrightstown Tigers = Wisconsin Badgers

Actually, looking at that link I posted there's tons of ripoffs of college and professional logos.

Amherst Falcons = Atlanta Falcons

Augusta Beavers = Oregon State Beavers

Baldwin-Woodville Blackhawks = Florida State Seminoles

Bay Port Pirates = East Carolina Pirates

Berlin Indians = Florida State Seminoles

Brodhead-Juda Cardinals = Arizona Cardinals

Gilman Pirates = East Carolina Pirates

Kettle Moraine Lutheran Chargers = Denver Broncos

Little Chute Mustangs = Southern Methodist University Mustangs

Lodi Blue Devils = Duke Blue Devils

Manitowoc Roncalli Jets = New York Jets

Mayville Cardinals = Arizona Cardinals

Milwaukee Vincent Vikings = Minnesota Vikings

Milwaukee Washington Generals = Wisconsin Badgers

Mondovi Buffaloes = Buffalo Bills

New Berlin Eisenhower Lions = Michigan Wolverines

New Berlin West Vikings = Minnesota Vikings

Potosi Chieftains = Florida State Seminoles

Random Lake Rams = St. Louis Rams

Sheboygan Falls Falcons = Atlanta Falcons

Sparta Spartans = Michigan State Spartans

Three Lakes Blue Jays = Toronto Blue Jays

Tri County Penguins = Michigan Wolverines

Two Rivers Purple Raiders = Oakland Raiders

Wausau Newman Cardinals = Arizona Cardinals

Waukesha North Northstars = Dallas Cowboys

Westby Norsemen = Wisconsin Badgers

Wrightstown Tigers = Wisconsin Badgers

I never understood how that is legal, or is it?

I'm not sure if it's legal or not, but my HS (Oshkosh West) used the Wu-Tang symbol for a W on hooded sweatshirts and t-shirts and had to stop because of copyright infringement.

http://lh3.google.com/wdsimmons/R02vncJA82I/AAAAAAAACjY/d5xHfF13He8/s800/wu-tang-clan-04.gif

T B0NE 10 wrote:

I know with some schools, all you have to do is ask for permission, and they will allow you to use the logos(Wisconsin does that i believe), however if you don't ask, many schools will protect thier property.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I recall someone from Wisco (maybe the AD?) telling me that there was some sort of threshold or amount by which a school had to change or alter a logo, and then it was OK. I think it was 30%, as in, if a high school takes a college logo and changes it by 30%, it's OK for them to use as their own logo without any copyright infringement problems. I have no idea how anyone decides what's 30% different, but that is stuck in my mind. He said Wisco has received a phone call or letter from Wisconsin every year that they've been involved in the state championship game for football because their logo gets printed in the Madison paper. But he said that since we've added an L and changed the colors, we have nothing to worry about. It sounds kind of weird, but he's pretty on top of things, so I trust what he's saying.

http://www.wihsfb.com/Wisco.bmp

Archived