Brewer Fanatic

8/14/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Padres (Peavy): 2:35 PM CDT

wibadgers23
yosted why did he leave them on the bench , didn't want to wear out Rivera.

Happy with 2 of 3 and hope the crew can do the same in LA ,still a long way to go

Yosted? Not every game is his fault. I know he's not perfect as a manager, nobody is, but just because the tally ends up in the loss column doesn't mean it's the managers fault.

They just lost today, Ben got in a tough spot, the offense wasn't really clicking against a good pitcher, it happens from time to time. Especially on the road out west.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think comparing Sheets to the reigning AL Cy Young winner makes a lot of sense. No, Sheets is not among the 5 best starting pitchers in the league. But to ptretend that a true ace never gives up 3 runs in 6 2/3 IP is just plain ignorant. As someone else said, grit, focus , killer instinct.... blah, blah. Cliché after cliché.

I don't think comparing Sheets to the reigning AL Cy Young winner makes a lot of sense. No, Sheets is not among the 5 best starting pitchers in the league. But to ptretend that a true ace never gives up 3 runs in 6 2/3 IP is just plain ignorant. As someone else said, grit, focus , killer instinct.... blah, blah. Cliché after cliché.

I would agree that 3 runs in 6 2/3 is not a big deal for a pitcher like Sheets. But, giving up all 3 of those runs in the 7th inning after pitching a complete gem, and the offense staking him to a 1 run lead against a former Cy Young winner is a problem. It's a loss of focus that Sheets has had throughout his career that has made outcomes in situations like these so predictable.

It's really hard to complain when your team loses a 1 run game against one of the best pitchers in MLB after winning 8 in a row. Didn't come up Brewers today. They're going to lose again this year. Maybe even tomorrow!

Never plan on a road sweep. Would have been nice but a 3-2 game on the road is going to happen.

1. How about May 15 this year against the Dodgers? 0-0 in the 7th and he gives up 6 runs. We lose 7-2.

2. August 15, 2005 against the Rockies. Brewers down 3-2 in the 7th after the offense just scored a run to make it close, and he gives up 3 runs after pitching great up to that point. We lose 11-2.

3. April 20, 2005 against the Astros. Brewers losing 3-1 in 7th and he gives up 3 runs after pitching great. We lose 6-1.

4. August 12, 2004 against the Braves. 2-2 in the 6th after the offense just tied it up (again, Ben is pitching well), and he gives up the game winning home run. We lost 4-2.

5. April 30, 2004 against the Pirates. Brewers up 1-0 in the 6th and Ben is pitching a gem. He gives up 3 runs and they lose 4-2.

I only looked at games where he received a loss and I only focused on the later innings. I do recall other games where he has given runs back the inning after the offense has either taken the lead or tied it up for him, but I don't have the time to research every game he's ever pitched. This is not to try and show that Sheets is a bad pitcher. He is a very good pitcher and has run into a lot of bad luck in his career. But, as an ace pitcher, he seems to have trouble in the later innings with putting a team away. It could very well be fatigue, lack of focus or both. I do think there is such a thing as "toughness" or "grittiness" when it comes to pitching. To me it means digging down and finding that something extra to put away a team or a batter even though the pitcher may be tired or starting to lose focus. Sheets has been able to do this in games that I have watched him pitch, but I tend to lose confidence that he will do it every game. Watching C.C., I get the feeling in every game that he will dominate in those situations and he usually does. I get the same confidence (although unpleasant) watching Zambrano pitch in those situations as well. Call it what you want, but Sheets does not have the consistent mental "toughness" a #1 ace should have in my opinion.

My question wasn't whether Sheets has ever given up a leads late or big innings. It's whether he does it more often than the average top pitchers (say, top 25 or so). Sheets has blown up 2 or 3 times this year, which unfortunately is all it takes for some to start claiming that so-and-so "always" does whatever.

I think it just comes down to unrealistic expections, as it usually does. It's being compounded by Brewer fans who've seen CC'.s 7 starts and think the best pitchers in the leauge should have an ERA under 2 and should pitch complete game shutouts every other outing. CC is one of the best (better than Sheets and most every other pitcher) AND he's piching over his head. What kind of measuring stick is that?

Archived