Brewer Fanatic

8/14/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Padres (Peavy): 2:35 PM CDT

wibadgers23
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody else notice that Gameday has been wrong quite a bit in this game? They have had to correct wrong plays at least 4-5 times for me. I think they do that on purpose to make you pay for MLB TV. I took the middle road and went MLB Audio. I hate being at work during Brewer games.

All pitchers lose it for no reason at times, that is baseball. I don't understand why so many posters on this forum seem to genuinely dislike Sheets to the point where they nitpick every run he gives up. There are very few pitchers in baseball that can have a legit ERA in the 3.00 range and Sheets is one of them, if that isn't an ace I don't know what is.

Saying he doesn't belong in the same list as Zambrano is comical btw, how did he make it in with all of those guys.

The problem is Sheets tends to lose focus relatively quick in games like this and suddenly the team is down 2 runs instead of being up by 1. I know good pitchers do this all the time, and Sheets is a very good pitcher, the problem is, he does this too much (especially for a #1 type pitcher), and he's done it throughout his career. He just does not seem to have that killer mentality to put a team away when it counts.

Saying he doesn't belong in the same list as Zambrano is comical btw, how did he make it in with all of those guys.

Gee, I don't know, perhaps the fact that he makes between 30-35 starts every year without fail, and has a career ERA just north of 3. Take off the anti-Cub glasses for a minute and look at the numbers. I am not necessarily saying he tops the list. Far from it, but you are an unabashed homer if you can't recognize that he is certainly more involved in the conversation than Sheets.

Gee, I don't know, perhaps the fact that he makes between 30-35 starts every year without fail, and has a career ERA just north of 3. Take off the anti-Cub glasses for a minute and look at the numbers. I am not necessarily saying he tops the list. Far from it, but you are an unabashed homer if you can't recognize that he is certainly more involved in the conversation than Sheets.

His ERA the past 3 years have been 3.41, 3.95 and 3.22 and going up this year(very luck based peripherals). There is no way Zambrano should be in the same list of true aces as Webb and Santana if you are going to leave Sheets out of the mix. Over his last 3 seasons his ERA is now 3.56 compared to Sheets 3.49 and that is with Sheets having one of the worst defenses in baseball behind him in that timeframe and Zambrano having one of the better. If you compare peripherals Sheets beats him there as well. If you go back 5 years instead of 3 Sheets still beats him in ERA. The only knock that is valid on Sheets has been health and well that is pitching, they get hurt a lot.

At least we took 2 out of 3 games at minimum unless we get lucky in the 9th. That's not so bad for a West Coast Road Trip Series.

Agreed. I don't really care about the loss that much. it is not so bad that Sheets gave up those runs, although the manner in which it happened leaves something to be desired. Need to score more than 1 run.

It wasn't a no brainer, but Ned stayed with Sheets too long. Could have PH for him in the top of the 7th there, but oh well. Ned having to make tough decisions like that, where hindsight is obviously 20/20, are the positions where I don't have much faith in him pushing the right buttons.

Games like these are the difference between winning the division and winning the wild card. Too bad, but at least it's a series win on the road.

The Brewers have one of the best records in baseball in close games. Games like these just happen, they aren't some magical thing that division winners avoid. Sometimes you lose close games, fact of life. The Cubs lose close games too, Boston has lost a ton of close games, the Rays have lost close games. Every team loses them division winner or not.

I wasn't expecting to win this game, anyway, and I was ecstatic when they were able to score that run in the 7th against Peavy. I was afraid of Sheets tiring, but Yost would've been blasted if he had taken out Sheets after 6 innings of 1-hit ball. The Padres weren't able to hit the ball out of the infield until that inning, and by the time Yost had a reliever warm, they had already taken the lead. I'm glad that Cameron had a very good series in his old ballpark, and it looked like knowing the dimensions of the outfield well paid off for the Brewers multiple times this series -- I cringe to think of how Hall or Gwynn would've handled some of those tough plays. Nix was impressive in the field, too, even if he was less so at the plate. Tough luck loss for Benny...if anyone other than Peavy was starting, this offense would've mustered more than a couple runs.

Hopefully they can go into LA and take the series from the Dodgers. The pitching match-ups aren't exactly ideal (Billingsley-Lowe-Kershaw), but it's another good pitcher's park. The Dodgers have improved offensively since the Manny trade, but they're still a .500 team. Hopefully they can chase the starters early and go to work on the bullpen.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I wasn't expecting to win this game, anyway, and I was ecstatic when they were able to score that run in the 7th against Peavy. I was afraid of Sheets tiring, but Yost would've been blasted if he had taken out Sheets after 6 innings of 1-hit ball. The Padres weren't able to hit the ball out of the infield until that inning, and by the time Yost had a reliever warm, they had already taken the lead. I'm glad that Cameron had a very good series in his old ballpark, and it looked like knowing the dimensions of the outfield well paid off for the Brewers multiple times this series -- I cringe to think of how Hall or Gwynn would've handled some of those tough plays. Nix was impressive in the field, too, even if he was less so at the plate. Tough luck loss for Benny...if anyone other than Peavy was starting, this offense would've mustered more than a couple runs.

Hopefully they can go into LA and take the series from the Dodgers. The pitching match-ups aren't exactly ideal (Billingsley-Lowe-Kershaw), but it's another good pitcher's park. The Dodgers have improved offensively since the Manny trade, but they're still a .500 team. Hopefully they can chase the starters early and go to work on the bullpen.

Good even-handed perspective, crazy. (That sounds funny.)

I hope the Brewers will take the bat out of Manny's hands in the LA series when they have the opportunity. They have a bunch of solid hitters, but I'd rather make Kent, Kemp, Either, etc. beat the Crew then let Manny go off.

Archived