Brewer Fanatic

What is the goal: Playoffs, or World Series?

statman0007

During the starting rotation setup thread, it seemed like one of the sticking points was whether we should be shooting to get as many regular season wins as possible, or align our rotation to go into the playoffs with both Sabathia and Sheets ready to go. That brings up the question as to what the goal should be for this season. On one hand, we haven't made the playoffs since 1982 and it would seem presumptuous to set our sights on anything other than getting back to the playoffs. On the other hand, the team is uniquely put together for this season in having two aces that will be leaving at the seasons end. Clearly, having both Sabathia and Sheets puts us in a position to succeed in the playoffs that we most likely won't have for the next few years, even though we keep our star hitters.

Personally, the goal for me is still the playoffs. I'm one of those college-aged guys that has never been alive to see the Brewers in the playoffs, and I'll be devastated if we don't make it this year. Last year was hard enough.

World Series. I think this team will be playoff capable the next few years with Gallardo and Parra anchoring the rotation so i don't think making post season will be too difficult for the Brewers in 09 and beyond. With that said, to succeed in the playoffs you need a couple prooven aces in my opinion and Gallardo and Parra I don't think will be enough to win a World title next year. The window is closing on a World Series as SAbathia and Sheets are likely gone at season's end. Shoot for the moon in 2008 because who knows what happens in the off season with our horses...

I think it also depends on where the Brewers sit in the final 2 weeks of the season. If they've got a decent-sized lead in the wild-card (or the division, we can hope!) such as 7-8 games, they can probably start to restructure the rotation for the post-season. Yes, I know after last year's Met's breakdown vs. the Phillies, a 7-8 game lead with 2 weeks left is nothing. But do you know how rare and unlikely an event like that repeating itself in consecutive years would be? I'm sure someone will tell me, but considering it hadn't happened since the 1960s, it would be quite miraculous for it to happen again. It COULD happen, but it is highly unlikely.

If the Brewers are only up a handful of games (or *GULP* DOWN a few), well obviously, you go for the playoffs and worry about the rotation when you get there.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

As a fan, I shoot for the playoffs. However, I sure hope the team is shooting for the World Series. Any team that make the playoffs should be expecting to win it all, especially after seeing what has transpired in the past couple of years (i.e St. Louis). I have far exceeded my "college-aged" years, but I would be thrilled to be watching baseball in Milwaukee in October. I missed game 7 in 1982 because I chose to watch the Dukes of Hazard instead. I guess I expected baseball playoffs to be the norm in Milwaukee.

I think if the Brewers made the playoffs and played well, I would be fine with it. If they went out like the Cubs did last year, I might be pretty frustrated.

All of this said, I have been wondering lately why I have tempered emotions this year about the Brewers. I just don't seem to get too high or too low any more. Sometimes I think it is just that I am getting older, but I think it really has to do with the fact that I am not used to following a winning baseball team. The usual complaining, optimism about future prospects, and high hopes for unknown players does not seem to apply any longer. I may just be protecting myself from disappointment, but I think it has more to do with learning how to be a fan of a winning team.

Oh well, it doesn't matter anyways, this team is playing very well. I just hope they keep it going and I also hope the Cubs start losing a few games here and there.

There's a decent shot that it won't happen during game #162.

Huh? Are you saying a playoff spot won't be secured 'till game 162?

Or that it might take a one game playoff after that to get to the post season?

The GOAL for the players I'm sure is the WS.

For me, I'm expecting playoffs, I would be fine with only winning a NLDS and very, very happy if they win the pennant.

And a WS win, well that goes without saying...

Community Moderator

Playoffs is the goal first.

Once we check that off the list, then we can worry about the World Series.

If we make the playoffs, we will likely have the better record than our opponent, even if we are the WC.

My goal coming into the season was 90 wins. That's the mark of a darn good team and an unmistakeable sign that we have arrived; you can't fault the team if they miss out on the playoffs with a record like that. That said, we could finish with 95 wins but if the Cubs finish a game better than us I will be very very unhappy.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I had pretty high hopes and was somewhat expecting a very good shot at the World Series after getting Sabathia, but the Cubs' series (particularly the first game) kind of shifted my view.

I think it's very hard for a team that can't pull off a game like the first game to win in the playoffs. A World Series team pulls off that double play no easily. Unfortunately, we did not, and I was down pretty far in the dumps after that game. I'll be happy with the playoffs. I'll be disappointed if we don't at least get to the NLCS, and I will be the happiest man alive if we make the World Series.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant, it's just my outlook of the team at this point.

A World Series team pulls off that double play no easily. Unfortunately, we did not, and I was down pretty far in the dumps after that game.

Botched double play balls are something that good teams can overcome.

Signed,

Alex Gonzalez

Joking aside, I was day-dreaming earlier today about the Brewers beating the Cubs in game 7 of the NLCS on a walk-off inside the park grand slam. As great as that would be, should that actually happen I will soon lose all will to live because I will have experienced the highest level of happiness that I am capable of feeling.

Rant aside, I can live with pretty much any ending to the season as long as it happens in the playoffs. Missing the postseason this year is something that I simply to do not want to have to handle.

From a business standpoint, the playoffs are the most important thing. Anything else is a bonus. From a fans standpoint, we're obviously going to hope for the WS. With the rotation we have, the WS is a possibly. Plus when you consider that the Brewers will have to play Fielder close to $10M, Hart gets a big raise, Hardy will get much more, we will have to retool the bullpen (or at least pay more for it), and their (most likely) losing Sheets and CC (admit it), this year is the year to do it. I think next year will be a good year, but it will be difficult to be as good as this team is.

The ultimate goal is to win the World Series, I recall Mark Attanasio mentioning that a few times to the media and totally agree.

Don't want to be like the Cubs, getting swept in the first series of postseason. I hope the Brewers are much more competitive than them in the playoffs and not contented with just getting there.

To me, the goal is playoffs simply because you can't make/win the World Series without getting to the playoffs first. Baseball is much more of a crapshoot in the playoffs than other "major" sports, so once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen. As someone above said, the teams that are good enough to make the playoffs are good enough to win it all.

i have followed the brewers since 1970 and i want it all this year. not to be greedy or anything. i have seen the ups and downs of a team for quite some time. this team can pull it off they are that good.

and i want to see simba in a world series again.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/madisonbrewerblue/001312380-1.jpg

Based on the uncertainty of who will be in uniform next year my goal is for World Series Victory.

This team has proven it can contend with--and defeat--the very best in baseball. They have beaten the team with the best record in baseball. They had a very ligitimate shot against a proven winner in Boston. They have won on the road and until recently were awesome at home. I just struggle to see how we could improve next year so I--greedily--want it all this year.

Before the season began, I would have been just fine with the Brewers getting to the playoffs and nothing else. Now I want it all; the division, the pennant and the World Series. This team is built to win now and, with CC and Sheets gone after this year, will not have an opportunity like this for at least a few more years. Obviously you can't win the World Series without getting to the playoffs, but it's how this team gets to the playoffs that will matter most. They need the attitude of "we will overtake the Cubs" instead of "we will not be overtaken for the wild card." Taking the division will give them home field advantage as well as a huge burst of confidence, knowing that they can beat anyone. It's World Series or bust people!

I interpreted the Sabathia trade as an indication that winning in the playoffs was expected... no need to trade LaPorta to go "one and done" in the playoffs (I felt they were in pretty good position to win the wild card without Sabathia). IMO, Mark & Doug went "all in", expecting to more than just make the playoffs (especially with the high probability of losing both Sabathia & Sheets this offseason)... so, I'm with them in expecting to win playoff series.

The best team does not usually win the world series, getting into the playoffs is what really matters. Once you are in the playoffs anything can happen. Assuming a healthy Sheets and Sabathia I think we have decent odds against any team.

I was hoping for 90 wins as well. They're on pace to exceed that, so I'd be very happy with it. I'm not going to pretend like I wouldn't be crushed if they missed the playoffs with, say, 92 wins, but I personally expected 90 to be good enough for the playoffs this season.

I'll be elated if they make the playoffs. Like Ennder said, anything can happen once you get in, so that's all that matters.

Archived