Brewer Fanatic

Haudricourt condescension toward blog participants ("Adam's" message to Brewerfan in reply #159)

Godspeed

TH's actions were extremely unproffesional. Some one at JS had to say something to him after he exploded on his blog. However, the bigger issue I have with him is biased journalism. The thing I'm wondering is if this is a problem across the nation because I remember glossing over some articles relating to that while researching a paper. Either way TH should leave his opinions out of his newspaper articles.

Kramnoj, I love the idea of a site that gives game recaps with analysis. I'm a student and a sportswriter prospect (with huge upside;) and I'm going to look into getting a Brewers blog started up. No disrespect to this site of course, because the content on this site is fantastic.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has two functions, he is a reporter with news articles and he is a blog writer with blog posts. The two should be seperate. One makes the papers, the other is on the internet. One he acts as a journalist and reporter, the other as an observer/fan. That's how I perceive it anyhow.

If only, lcbj68c. Oh, God, if only.

Well...this is a forum board. If that were the case, couldn't every discussion/complaint on here be, just do "x" or just stop paying attention to "x" and problem solved?

Turn off your television when Craig Counsell is batting! Hit mute whenever Bill Schroeder starts to talk! Quickly change the station if a ground ball is hit toward Rickie Weeks! Cover your eyes and throw yourself down a flight of stairs when Eric Gagne emerges from the bullpen!

I'm a student and a sportswriter prospect (with huge upside;)

Stay in school and change your major.

I'm only 5% kidding.

I'd tell you why, only it would be perceived here as whining.

If you're going to stay in the biz, you better darn well love writing. Not sports. Writing.

(edit: Just realized I should have just PM'd this. Apologies to the board.)

Turn off your television when Craig Counsell is batting! Hit mute whenever Bill Schroeder starts to talk! Quickly change the station if a ground ball is hit toward Rickie Weeks! Cover your eyes and throw yourself down a flight of stairs when Eric Gagne emerges from the bullpen!

I do those things. None of it helps.

lcbj68c[/b]]Well...this is a forum board. If that were the case, couldn't every discussion/complaint on here be, just do "x" or just stop paying attention to "x" and problem solved?

but its different. I am here because I am a fan of the brewers - even when counsell is batting or gagne takes the mound (though I am not as happy of a brewer fan). threads debating yost or weeks or the starting rotation make sense. even discussions on trenni and bill schroeder somewhat make sense because I almost have to deal with them if I want to watch the game. the js is a nuetral 3rd party reporting on the game. it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the team that I support and am here to talk about. its no different than having to listen to an ignorant cubs fan talk about the brewers.

if you dont like the cubs fan - dont listen. if you dont like the js, dont read it!

And if you don't like the product on the field, don't watch it. They most certainly go hand in hand and that's just downright hypocritical. It's a discussion just like anything else. Maybe it belongs the off-topic area, but it certainly isn't a waste of a discussion simply because one can choose not to read the newspaper.

What's being debated are institutions, in which everyone in the area has a stake.

Just like the museum or the zoo. I may not be there every day, but it's something left for us by city fathers. The fact that the Journal Sentinel is so bad is bad for the people of Milwaukee. The Brewers are an entertainment, supported by taxes, that bring a sense of identity to Milwaukee and cheap thrills to generations. It's not as important as, say, what happens to public schools, but I'm not too quick to diminish the value of a sports franchise to a city, especially a proud city whose brightest days are (sadly but likely) behind it. Debate away, I say.

The only truly useless things are those that come out of the mouth of a Cubs fan.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not to mention that if we don't read the Journal there aren't many other first hand accounts to choose from (McCalvy and who else? Madison papers have a reporter at every game? Everyone else probably uses the same AP feed). I think its well within a fan's right to complain about the quality of the flagship newspaper covering their sports team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

After spending a few years listening to WSSP and looking at JS Online blogs for immediate news, it is the reactionaries that fuel the flames in terms of replies and call ins. Why do you expect a "journalist" to do nothing but cater to the repeat customers?

Garry Howard is a joke as a sports editor. All he cares about is keeping his courtside seats for Bucks games. Meanwhile his beat reporter, Tom Enlund, has to sit 25 rows up at a press table in section 212. Not that it matters much, Enlund is as big a hack as Haudricourt.

Howard wakes up a couple of times a year to write a column on the Bucks (as he did this week) and then he goes back to sleep until the NBA season starts.

I don't post, I just read, but this is absolutely ridiculus. TH should be fired for putting this in his blog:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/08/16/escobar-quot-most-exciting-quot-in-southern-league.aspx

PERSONAL NOTE: After giving it careful consideration, I have decided to no longer interact in any way with posters in the "Comments" section of the Brewers Blog. I am adopting this policy because someone named Adam [last name deleted by BtA] complained to my bosses that I had no business calling out individual posters by name in a harsh fashion when they attacked my integrity or without having their facts correct called me out on certain issues (such as why I didn't know that Russell Branyan was injured when in fact he had been hurt the previous evening in batting practice when I wasn't even with the team). Apparently, I hurt poor Mr. [last name deleted by BtA]'s feelings.

So, rather than worry about hurting the feelings of other over-sensitive posters, I've decided not to interact with any of them. That way, I don't have to watch my tongue when someone insults me or posts incorrect information, no matter how imbecilic it might be, in response to my blogs. So, for those who liked it when I interacted with posters, you can blame Mr. [last name deleted by BtA] (I believe his e-mail is [deleted by 1992casey]). For those who thought I was out of line with some of my responses, you can thank him.

In a way, this complainer did me a big favor because it will save a lot of time and energy just to ignore the comments from posters on the Brewers Blog. I'll simply post my blogs and leave it at that. I won't even monitor the "Comments" secton. People can attack me all they want and I will not respond. Nor will I answer intelligent, thoughtful posters seeking further information. I decided not to pick and choose who I respond to. My bosses, who have been extremely supportive and very complimentary of the very successful Brewers Blog, have better things to do with their time than respond to people complaining about my comments, and this will spare them from having to do so. So, I'm sure they will appeciate this new policy as well.

So, you folks have at it. Attack each other, attack me, whatever makes you happy. I'll stay out of the fray so no one such as Mr. [last name deleted by BtA] gets his feelings hurt again. We certainly wouldn't want that. -- TH

Tom Haudricourt wrote:

Orville, and others,

After reconsidering, I have removed that person's e-mail address. Decided to stay above that fray as well. I do have class, and that's why I reconsidered. It's also why I won't lower myself to respond to personal attacks henceforth, no matter how baseless they are. And, with that, this is my last posting in the "Comments" section.

What a tool.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

He should be fired. I really don't like the guy's work, but he's in a tight spot asking the 'right' questions for the Brewers and still trying to respect them. This to me is a complete joke to even give the guy's name out -- let alone his e-mail address. What's next his phone number? I'm going to guess TH hates this guy and they've e-mailed back and forth -- why else would he have his e-mail? I don't know if his cocky responses to his mailbag or the blog were cause for firing, but this has to be. The personal note thing should not have been on the blog and he should've taken the high road by simply ignoring the comments and not calling someone out on a very personal level.

Tom Haudricourt wrote:

To Marshall and others,

Like I said, I have removed the person's name. I don't want to cause anyone else harm. I just wanted to let you folks know why I won't be responding to attacks on me on the blog. That's all. I thought you people would like that. I didn't want anyone else's feelings to get hurt. That's what this is about -- staying above the fray. I just wanted to make sure people knew that I wouldn't respond in a way that might hurt someone's feelings. I'm trying to show some class. Sorry if you folks don't think so.

Why does he keep saying "stay above the fray?" If you would've you wouldn't have given out the guy's name and his email address. Man, this guy is not only a terrible writer, he's also an idiot.

Archived