Brewer Fanatic

Playoff ticket deposit?

panthernick

So for fun... I figure I'd try to figure out how much the Brewer will intake before September 5th.

From what I gathered the average price for a NLDS and NLCS is roughly $450.00. That is high due to the number of cheaper seats compared to more expensive seats. So I'll dumb it down to roughly $400.00. I'll also assume 42,500 seats.

NLDS and NLCS will inject $119,000.00 dollars. Lets assume the worst happens, and the Brewers don't make the play offs. I assume they'll gain interest on it, while they sit on it for roughly 2 months. (Sept / Oct). With a 5% interest rate for those two months they will earn roughly $11,900,000.

Assuming the Brewers make the playoffs, World Series purchases will be processed. Assuming the same thing, I came up with the average WS series to be roughly $700, I'll assume $650 due to cheaper compared to more expensive. The Brewers will intake roughly $82,875,00.00 dollars and earn (assuming they sit on the refunds for 2 months) $8,287,500.00

What happens to all the money? Assuming a modest 5% interest rate, they'll take in roughly 20million in interest. Obviously some goes to operational expenses (The packet you received, extra ticket manager time etc)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think your calculation on the interest is quite a bit off. You're assuming a 5% per month rate of return it should be a 5% annual rate of return and that would equate to approximately $1,000,000 in interest if they received 119,000,000 and sat on it for two months.

http://www.boston.com/spo...ffs_not_ticket_to_riches/ is a link that described the distribution of playoff ticket revenue.

Some excerpts:

"In the best-of-five divisional series, 60 percent of the ticket revenue from the first three games goes to the players from both teams, who decide how to divide it among themselves and some other team employees. Another 1.6 percent is collected for the umpires. That leaves 38.4 percent of the gate revenue to be split evenly between the teams."

"in the American League Championship Series and World Series, players get 60 percent of ticket sales from the first four games. In essence, baseball's playoffs are set up so that teams benefit financially only if they play a full series as opposed to sweeping their opponent.

The commissioner's office also gets a 15 percent cut of ticket sales from the World Series."

"Players for the 2006 World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals split more than $20 million, with 48 players and team employees getting full shares of $362,173 and 23 others getting undisclosed "partial shares." The American League champion Detroit Tigers divided a pool of $13.3 million among 39 people who got $291,667 each. Fifteen others got lesser amounts.

By comparison, the Cardinals and Tigers took in just shy of $6.8 million each from the entire playoffs. That's barely above the $6.7 million the commissioner's office made. And it doesn't take into account how much was spent on added security, employees wages, and other expenses for keeping the parks open in the playoffs."

The Brewers should do okay if they get to the postseason even if they don't get a haul from gate receipts.

hardballtimes.com/main/article/diamond-dollars-the-economics-of-winning-in-baseball-part-1

"The rewards from winning vary based on three key variables-an economic system driven by the size and fan loyalty of a team's local market; the team's level of competitiveness, defined by its regular season record; and the windfall of revenues that accrue to a team for reaching the postseason."

How is the money refunded on the different options? Thanks
Option #1= If they are going to sign CC, then they are probably just going to keep the money without the refund

Option #2= They offer you to let them keep the money on a deposit for next season's ticket package, possibly with some incentive to do so.

Option #3= They can refund it to you in full, less the Shipping and Handling fee at some predetermined date in the future.

This isn't season ticket realted but I assume the Brewers will set up a random drawing like they did last year for those of us who don't have season tickets? I thought last year that you could register to win a chance to buy tickets through Brewers.com

Full/partial season ticket holders have until September 5 to commit, either to all postseason games or one of the "mini-packs" the Brewers are offering this year.

After that, I'd imagine 9/10 pack customers get their chance, and after that the lottery to distribute whatever's left.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Plan B includes:

- Home Game 1 of the NLDS played at Miller Park

- Home Game 2 of the NLCS played at Miller Park

- Home Game 2 of the WS played at Miller Park

I would suggest Plan B, because all three games are gaurenteed to happen if the brewers make that particular series. If you take Plan C, and the brewers sweep/get swept in the NLDS then you will not go to a single game, because Home Game 2 of the NLDS is the 4th overall game(assuming the brewers don't win the division) which isn't gaurenteed to happen.

Archived