Brewer Fanatic

Branyan to DL/Laynce Nix called up

cooprules

We really don't need three 3B on the team. Billy Hall seems to be the forgotten stepchild in all of this. If you're going to bring up Dillon to start instead of Counsell, why not just start Billy full time?

I agree with this 100% -- Hall should be starting over Counsell -- my point is that, if you are resigned to not starting Hall, Dillon over Counsell is a bigger upgrade over Nix v. Kapler.

Starting Counsell needs to end soon.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LH power bat goes down, call up next best LH power bat. With another OF down, Nix gets the nod due to OF defense and flexibility over Nelson. It's pretty simple. You have two power bats hurting right now (Braun, Branyan) and you can't afford to be playing with 23 players. DL the part-timer (Branyan) and get a healthy body up to be at least at 24.

People think this reflects on Gwynn, but take a look at Nix's stats in AAA this year. He's quietly having a very good year. So what if he's 27; many players haven't broken into the majors until 27 (Jaha comes to mind). So what if he doesn't project to be an All-Star. Look at his stats in AAA and age aside, tell me one good reason he doesn't deserve to be called up right now. It is more about the good year that Nix is having and his power than it is about Gwynn.

(Also, don't expect Branyan to be activated prior to Sept. 1st unless someone else goes on the DL. I doubt they will activate Branyan and expose Nix to waivers on Aug 28th with only four days to go before the rosters expand. Nix is up for good this year.)

That was an easy question. If you consider his career instead of just looking at the beginning of this year... Hall hits RHP & LHP better than Counsell. There's no reason Counsell should be starting more than once every couple weeks to give someone rest... if even that often. Defensive replacement for Weeks is really the only times I'd like to see him play at all. Not that I don't like him as a person, but he's said himself if he's starting this team is worse.

Why would you play Hall over Counsell against RHP?

Because before this season nobody on here would even ask that question. As Hall has said, look at his splits vs. righthanders prior to this season (.262/.310/.461). It's not that big of a stretch to consider his lack of success this year as a statistical anomoly and even though his numbers don't look good, he still has 8 HR and 26 RBI in 213 AB's compared to Counsell's 1 HR and 11 RBI in 176 ABs.

Fortunately it hasn't cost them and I think to some extent putting Counsell between Hart and Cameron does give the pitcher a different look and that mitigates some of Counsell's weakness as a run producer. Still in all, I think it behooves them to have Hall at least have the opportunity to get hot, because a hot Hall is far, far superior to a hot Counsell.

Why would you play Hall over Counsell against RHP?
Because before this season nobody on here would even ask that question. As Hall has said, look at his splits vs. righthanders prior to this season (.262/.310/.461). It's not that big of a stretch to consider his lack of success this year as a statistical anomoly and even though his numbers don't look good, he still has 8 HR and 26 RBI in 213 AB's compared to Counsell's 1 HR and 11 RBI in 176 ABs.

Fortunately it hasn't cost them and I think to some extent putting Counsell between Hart and Cameron does give the pitcher a different look and that mitigates some of Counsell's weakness as a run producer. Still in all, I think it behooves them to have Hall at least have the opportunity to get hot, because a hot Hall is far, far superior to a hot Counsell.

Hall hasn't been hot since 2006. That's 750 at-bats ago. Since then he's had moderate (.420 SLG) power with a below average OBP (about .305) who has been a below average fielder (in my opinion.) That's not counting the mental mistakes that will always be there for Hall.

When Hall and Branyan were splitting time at third, teams bunted for hits on the Brewers quite a bit. That's likely to not be an issue with Counsell in there. Counsell is no long term answer at third, but he's the best short-term answer.

It's not that big of a stretch to consider his lack of success this year as a statistical anomoly and even though his numbers don't look good, he still has 8 HR and 26 RBI in 213 AB's compared to Counsell's 1 HR and 11 RBI in 176 ABs

Are you actually crediting 'getting runners on base in front of them' as a skill? Besides, using counting stats from that small a sample tells next to nothing.

It's sad that there's any debate at all on this... as much as I dislike Hall (esp. v. RHP), he' just the clear better choice at 3B... and for pete's sake, especially if Ned insists that 'THE 3B MUST BAT 6TH!'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hall hasn't been hot since 2006. That's 750 at-bats ago. Since then he's had moderate (.420 SLG) power with a below average OBP (about .305) who has been a below average fielder (in my opinion.)

This is actually about all I ever expected from him. When he first appeared way back in 2002 we heard a lot of talk about what a great young 5 tool talent he was. That was about the time I began to realize "5 tool talent" meant "Can't Play Baseball".

He's had over 2100 minor league at bats and these are his rates: .264/.303/.387. His major leage rates are .259/.317 /.460. And some think minor league numbers aren't good predictor of major league careers!

I always thought they were full of malarky when they bragged him up. To his credit he put up two totally unpredictable very good seasons in 2005 and 2006, when he was 25 and 26. Now as you noted, he's reverted back to form. It's not that unusual for players to peak at 26. He's striking out 30% of the time. He's almost done.

I find it slightly amusing that the Brewers lose and Counsell has a good game offensively. I don't know if I've said it here, but I suspected the only way that Counsell would stop seeing playing time was with him peforming badly in a loss or two. For some reason, I couldn't envision the Brewers losing with Sheets pitching a quality start and Counsell getting on base 3 times.

Archived