Brewer Fanatic

Branyan to DL/Laynce Nix called up

cooprules

Nix is hitting well. It fits with the "hot hand" rhetoric.

If Braun hasn't even been diagnosed and isn't significantly improved, he shouldn't be traveling with the team.

Formerly AKA Pete

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got no real issues with this callup. I'd like to see Kaplar and Nix platoon the LF spot to see what he can do. I don't expect anything amazing but who knows, maybe he'll get really hot and overperform like crazy. If he doesn't, it's not really too much of a loss.

Nix makes more sense than Gwynn right now. Without Branyan and Braun there's a lot of muscle missing on the team. At least in theory Nix has some power. As well as speed and good OF defense. And he's a lefty. My guess is he and Kapler will do some platooning in LF, while Nix will get PH's late. This is far and away the best option. 2nd best option would be Dillon, but you know Nedly wouldn't play him at 3rd ahead of Gritty Playoff Veteran/World Series Hero Craig Counsell. Not during a pennant race!

That would mean using the backup catcher and we all know that one would rather lose a game than suffer the humiliation of running out of catchers!

Rivera could start 1b, and then move over to C when Kendall is obliterated. As long as we don't PH for the catcher we are AOK. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

The point was not to give Fielder a day off but injury replacement or being able to pinch run for Fielder down in the 9th inning. Though Fielder could hit a one out double with the Brewers down one in the 9th and likely wouldn't be lifted.

Branyan = Ned's doghouse for some reason. That's the only explanation. Yost may not be a member of church 3TO yet.

No, Branyan = injured, otherwise he wouldn't go on the DL. That's Melvin's call, and Melvin has got a lot more power than Yost.

Rivera and Counsell would play 1B for the rest of the game, or a game until a replacement arrives.

I think Gwynn would have been the guy, but he's been awful the last 45 days or so. A 650ish OPS in AAA is not going to play in LF regardless of his defense.

Hardly any of Sheets injuries have been pitching related. A few have been from pitching others have been freakish injuries or common injuries that pitchers get (blisters).
I guess I am confused here. Hardly, and then a few?

Counsell and Kendall's playing time also confuses me too.

I get what you're saying, but if the team wasn't forthcoming with injury info, how were fans supposed to know why Counsell was playing?

I also get what you are saying, but sometimes not jumping to conclusions is a good start. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I dunno -- I think it's pretty logical to conclude (in the absence of evidence to the contrary) that players are healthy and available.

Anyway, it's a moot point.

Many fans overreact often to minor changes in the lineup. Some people still insist Hart wasn't hurt last April and May when he had to rest his wrist because it never made the news.

The more you talk, the more your opponent knows. I still remember the time the Brewers got Bill Castro up in the bullpen in extra innings and fooled the other team into pitching to the non-pitcher rather than walking him to face the pitcher. Talking about injuries does not help at all, so you don't do it.

Much agreed. No sense in letting the opponent know that your LH power bat isn't available. Though having been at MP the past week, Branyan did not take part in BP and rarely was out on the field. But again, no sense in making a big announcement. Just goes to show how slow our local press is in getting things out. Unless there is some gentlemen agreement 'tween front office and them.

Many fans overreact often to minor changes in the lineup. Some people still insist Hart wasn't hurt last April and May when he had to rest his wrist because it never made the news.

The more you talk, the more your opponent knows. I still remember the time the Brewers got Bill Castro up in the bullpen in extra innings and fooled the other team into pitching to the non-pitcher rather than walking him to face the pitcher. Talking about injuries does not help at all, so you don't do it.

1, A lineup change that is set to cost the Brewers a full win over the next two months isn't minor. Again losing Braun for the season would have less of an impact. But unless the team plane crashes in the Andes no one should worry? Why even come here if some minor things aren't worth discussing?

2. You keep up building that stawman no matter that it was never the case. Hart was healthjy to start the year. Despite that Yost still played Mench over him. Even Brian Anderson is aware of that fact..

I think that they brought Nix up because he is more a middle-of-the-order type of hitter than Gwynn. If we were to put Gwynn in leftfield it would really change our offensive personality. I also think that we wanted a left-handed hitting OF to give us some versatility.

As far as Counsell goes, I think that he is playing because he is a more dependable defensive player than the other two. I think that Branyan's defense has taken him out of the line-up. His range hasn't been real good. Counsell's playing can't be for offensive reasons, can it?

In case anyone was interested. The Journal Sentinel didn't report on this until a full 4 hours after Gord said that this morning. That seems pretty bad to me. Considering Branyan's role lately, this move has virtually no effect on the team we are throwing out their every night except for the fact that we now have another outfielder and all but guaranteeing that Counsell will be getting way to many at bats in the upcoming weeks.

In case anyone was interested. The Journal Sentinel didn't report on this until a full 4 hours after Gord said that this morning. That seems pretty bad to me.
With the beat writers covering a game that lasted until midnight, it doesn't surprise me that it took them this long. Someone else in the sports room could have lended a hand, but the beat guys probably were sleeping until a few hours after the story broke because they were up late covering the game.

I think Al is just hoping that if he keeps making that claim, over and OVER again, everyone will eventually forget the specifics of the Hart situation. Then, can finally pat himself on the back for being "right". Seems to be his M.O.

Nix has had a decent (.887 OPS) season at Nashville so he'd be the logical choice. Had Gamel not cooled off, he would have been my choice. Have to wonder if they checked to see if any veterans were out there that had cleared waivers.

I do think there more likely to use Nix in OF than they were Branyan. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the lineup for afternoon game Thursday.

Don't think this bodes well for Gwynn nor apparently is Gibbons impressing much.

Don't think this bodes well for Gwynn nor apparently is Gibbons impressing much.

I think this also serves as a bit of a last gasp for Nix. He's always been so promising in AAA and has faltered in the majors. In addition to providing some pop, the club might be auditioning him to see if the Brewers don't make any moves to retain him next year. The reality is that he'll only probably get a handful of at-bats, so I think it'll be a non-issue.

As far as Gibbons goes, his versatility doesn't really warrant a 25-man roster spot. Nix can play all 3 OF positions well, whereas Gibbons is an average LFer. If the club expected Braun to be out for an extended period of time, we might have seen Gibbons get the nod.

I don't think this is an audition for Nix. The team is currently leading the Wild Card race, as I'm sure the Brewers called up the one bat they felt would have the greatest impact. They're not in a position to try and figure out if Nix has any future value to the team IMO. I think it speaks volumes of how they view Gwynn, because as noted by others, his OPS at AAA is pretty lousy.

Nix gets the call over Nelson I'm guessing due to versatility, since he can play all 3 OF spots and I'm guessing they weren't too concerned about the backup at 1B.

And Nix, like Branyan, probably won't get too much playing time anyway. Kapler seems to be the starting LF and #3 hitter until Braun comes back.

TGJ may not get on base too often, nor hit for any power, but he does all the other, SUPER important things on offense, really well. Start him over KKameron in CF, have him and Counsell bat 1 and 2 and I think the offense would be fixed.

All these HRs need to stop. Get back tobasics, with some hit and runs and productive outs.

I'd like to go on record saying that I am in favor of Cameron starting over Gwynn in CF even though I was ok with Counsell getting a few starts at 3B because I know I am the one you are making fun of by saying that.

It's great to have power in the lineup, but it doesn't hurt to have some contact hitters mixed in.

Calling up Nix is a lateral move that shouldn't be much of a factor in how the team does from here on out.

Archived