Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Rotation "Secret Scenarios"

brewerfan82
The point would be to get them more starts, not fewer or versus certain teams.

i agree with this for a couple of reasons...

1. Messing with a starting pitchers rest cycle can sometimes be a disaster.

2. As already stated, the point is to get Ben and CC as many starts as possible. We are not only fighting against Chicago and St. Louis, but also Philly, New York, and Florida.

I just wanted to point out that the scenario I came up with in the first post does not result in fewer games pitched for either Sheets or Sabathia. Additionally, Sabathia remains on schedule except for one game where he gets one extra day of rest and Sheets has two games with extra rest.

I wonder of Yost will think about pitching McClung on Sunday instead of CC if we have extended our lead over St. Louis, making him available for the two game series against the Cards. Then again (although it doesn't really matter with CC), St. Louis's big hitters are mostly righties.

A simple "McClung" scenario might be to throw Seth on Sunday to slip CC & Sheets into St. Louis. With the days off later, it leaves the option of skipping a Suppan start to move Sheets forward a day if he's needed in the last series. It's also a wash for the Reds, although without Dunn & Junior its not as big of a deal...moving Parra in and CC out of those series.

I wonder of Yost will think about pitching McClung on Sunday instead of CC if we have extended our lead over St. Louis, making him available for the two game series against the Cards. Then again (although it doesn't really matter with CC), St. Louis's big hitters are mostly righties.
I like that idea. It would then move CC to down to pitch against NYM on 9/1. They'd just have to skip somebody once to line CC and Sheets up to pitch in both Cubs series.

I like that idea. It would then move CC to down to pitch against NYM on 9/1. They'd just have to skip somebody once to line CC and Sheets up to pitch in both Cubs series.

That sounds like a fantabulous plan, given that I have front row field level seats for 9/1 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Adam McCalvy's mailbag had this little nugget regarding the rotation, sounds like some modest juggling is in order.

Yost surprised me Sunday morning by mentioning that Sabathia, Bush and Sheets are currently lined up to start the final regular-season series against the Cubs at Miller Park. That means he'll be juggling Bush's spot somewhat to line up Sabathia to pitch a potential postseason opener Oct. 1.

http://milwaukee.brewers....ws_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

So I printed off the remainder of the schedule this year. Filled it out with the rotation because Yost said he wasn't going to switch it up at all....

Now I'm going to break this down into who CC would face if Yost left the rotation alone....

Not Change- Pirates, Padres , Reds (2), Cubs (2)

Move back Sunday's start to Monday- Mets, Padres, Phillies, Cubs, Pirates, Cubs

Sheets wouldn't change pretty much at all just lose one start

Not Change- Cards, Mets, Padres, Phillies, Cubs, Pirates Cubs

Change- Cards, Mets, Padres, Phillies, Cubs, Pirates, first game of playoffs

Parra

Not Change- Cards, Mets, Padres, Phillies, Cubs, Pirates

Change- Mets, Reds, Phillies, Reds, Pirates

Bush

Not Change- Pirates, Mets, Reds, Phillies, Reds, Pirates

Change- Pirates, Padres, Reds, Phillies, Reds, Cubs

Suppan

Not Change- Pirates, Padres, Reds, Phillies, Reds, Cubs

Change- Pirates, Padres, Reds, Cubs, Reds, Cubs

McClung gets the spot start on Sunday to replace CC if change

Grant it in the last series you wouldn't have Sheets but he would get the first game of the playoffs, but lets say push comes to shove andwith the final game of the season we are 2 back of the cubs and 2 games ahead in the wild card, would Yost save CC for game one of the playoffs? (i know thats a kinda BIG what if, but its a legit what ifIMO)

What are your guys thoughts on pushing CC's start back to face to tougher teams?? I think its almost a no brainer IMO

Btw, I first made this out last week and I woulda moved CC's start back to this tuesday against the Cards also.... what are your thoughts on this?

What are your guys thoughts on pushing CC's start back to face to tougher teams?? I think its almost a no brainer IMO
A win is a win if its against a tougher team or a lesser team. I would rather have a fully rested CC for the 1st game of the playoffs than having him playing the last meaning less series against the Cubs. The Cubs have the division just about locked up heading into September 5 games isn't that hard to gain on the Cubs but its not an easy task either. The Cubs are going to have to go on a losing streak and the Brewers are going to have to stay hot from now until about the end of September.

The wild card is what the Brewers are going to win if they are going to make it into the playoffs and you know what that is fine with me. Since the last couple of years the wild card team has made it to the World Series for the NL.

The current schedule has CC & Sheets in the final two games. If we can somehow wrap it up before that final series, both could slip into Game 1 & 2 on plenty of extra rest.

The biggest hook to a change is to get CC to face the Mets and Phils. At least they won't get a look at him in case we see them in the playoffs. The back end of the rotation is doing so well, why mess with them. Maybe they re-evaluate after St. Louis.

i think this in only slightly related to this thread, except it's more relevant to the strength / strategy of opposing teams' rotations:

can you imagine a situation where:

1) the Crew and Cubs are tied going into game #162

2a) John Maine has been shut down for the Mets...

2b) ...heck, why not figure that Pedro has assumed his regular hospital status, too...

2c) ...yet NY has still finished with a better record than the Snakes

3) Arizona has Webb & Haren rested, stacked and ready to start NLDS games 1 & 2...

4) ...Randy J has discovered Ponce de Leon's old diaries and the soft tossing double-D still gives the Crew fits

5) setting up the Wild Card to travel to the duct taped Mets and the NL Central Champ to host the 2007 playoffs-galvanized D-Backs

I think #1 is the biggest stretch, of course, and #2c is assumptive, but how about:

6) Ned Yost walks to the mound before DiFelice throws a pitch, forfeits the game and hops on Ma-At's jet to Shea.

The current schedule has CC & Sheets in the final two games. If we can somehow wrap it up before that final series, both could slip into Game 1 & 2 on plenty of extra rest.
It would be interesting to see what they do if the Brewers have the wild card locked up but are 1 or 2 games behind the Cubs going into the final 2 games.

Archived