Brewer Fanatic

Is Bonds an option?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Braun to right, hart to third, Bonds in left.

1) Durham

2) Hardy

3) Braun

4) Bonds

5) Fielder

6) Hart

7) Cameron

8) Kendall

That would mean we'd have one of the 2 or 3 worst defenders in the league at third base, first base, second base and left field plus who knows in right field. A million times over, no thank you.

• 4 months later...

Since this was the most recent Bonds thread I could find, I thought I would tack this on...

Supposedly Bonds has been talking with Reds management about playing LF there in '09. There's the Dusty Baker connection there, and Bonds is claiming he'd love to play there. I think it's pretty silly, but there could be some possibility there.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I couldn't bring myself to start a new thread about Barroid. If the mods want to split this stuff off into a new thread, they certainly can.

I don't want any part of a 40-plus guy who has been out for a year, no matter how many career home runs he has.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

i think there might be an overestimation of just how bad he would be in the clubhouse. it'd just be for the year (or so), plus he'd know that if he caused even the slightest problem that he'd be kicked off the team--he's just no longer in a position that his abilities would be so great that a team would have to keep him on despite him being a jerk.

I think Manny is a good example. The same issues followed him to Los Angeles, but by all accounts, everyone on that team liked him.

I'm really not sure how Bonds would fit on any NL team, though. Offensively, he fits best as a late-game pinch-hitter, but his defense is so bad that it would cancel out whatever offensive production he provided.

although i don't think i'd boo him if he played for Milwaukee. but i guess mostly because i hate that Milwaukee is starting to turn into that kind of city where anyone would get booed if they had an 0-4 night a week before.

Do the Brewers have room in their clubhouse for Barry's lounge chair?

Probably not, but if they do, sign Barry only if he carries his chair from AT&T to Miller Park (2K miles) to show how much he respects the game.

That would eliminate any potential chemistry problems!

Barry Bonds did the same thing that 100's and 100's of other players did, and is still around today. I'm over the moral hand-wringing, since we've had Turnbow, Gibbons, Gagne, etc. He's still one of the better batters in the game. I'd like to see how he moves around in the field.

Anyway, Milwaukee does not have the kind of franchise that would make a move like this. Our idea of improving the shaky rotation is Braden Looper. We're not going to end up with Bonds, although I wish it would happen.

"That would mean we'd have one of the 2 or 3 worst defenders in the league at third base, first base, second base and left field plus who knows in right field. A million times over, no thank you."

...it would be intersting...

I agree. I've seen Barry a few times and it IS fun. When his agent hinted at collusion, I don't think he was far off. still, though, it's SO hard to root for the guy. i mean, really, just try to say "Poor Barry" and not be sarcastic. you just can't.

I would absolutley love to have Bonds in Milwaukee. The Brewers need OBP, and a left handed hitter, Bonds solves both of those problems with a .400 OBP for sure, and still pretty good pop. I do not think the Brewers would need to trade anybody either, the Brewers would just have to move Braun to right field. Hart would still get plenty of playing time, since Cameron, and Bonds especially are getting up their in age.

You can say what you want about Bonds, most of which I would agree with, but the fact is he is still one of the better hitters in the game, and the goal is to score more points than your opponent. Barry Bonds and his OBP laden 1.000+ OPS would certainly help us accomplish that. I put almost no value on team chemistry, and I could care less about what these athletes put in their bodies, it does not affect me so I could really care less.

Sadly major league baseball does not feel this way, since they have to worry about their image. I am convinced that MLB GM's have decided that nobody will sign Bonds, and I think they should have that right, although I do not agree with it.

• 1 month later...
He's pretty much exactly what the team needs. I would be all about doing a three man rotation with Hart, Cameron, and Barry. He obviously can't play every day, but it's a heck of an upgrade on Trot Nixon or Chris Duffy.

He's pretty much exactly what the team needs. I would be all about doing a three man rotation with Hart, Cameron, and Barry. He obviously can't play every day, but it's a heck of an upgrade on Trot Nixon or Chris Duffy.

Bonds has played 1 game in his career in RF. He can barely play LF any more. He's strictly a DH so unless the Brewers get sent back to the AL, no thanks.

Archived