Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn traded to D'Backs for RHP Dallas Buck and two PTBNL

trwi7
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood waiver-wire deals like this... can anyone explain it to me? (and you may have to talk like you are talking to a 6 year old... cause I'm not that smart) ... how does this deal get done after the trade deadline? And what is the trade deadline for then?

How it works is that after July 31st, trades are restricted to players who are put on waivers. Before that, you can trade anyone except guys with no-trade rights in their contract or enough service time under league rules to block a trade. Once the deadline passes on July 31st, you can trade a player to anyone if he is placed on waivers and nobody claims him. If a team does claim him, you either must A) revoke the waiver (you keep the player), B) let that team have him for free, or C) trade him to THAT team.

A single A pitcher coming off TJ surgery seems to be a pretty small prize for Dunn.

No kidding. The Reds would have probably gotten a significantly higher return simply taking the two comp picks.

How good is Cincinnati's drafting compared to their minor league scouting? I know that they've picked up Bruce and Bailey in the draft lately, but are there any other successes?

Coco cashed in on 3/4 of a great year. It makes me happy to see these division rivals spending big money on end of prime/past prime players. And to top it all off, the Reds give Dusty Baker the reins and have given up about 1/2 of their power threat within the last 2 weeks. That team might not contend for another decade.

you either must A) revoke the waiver (you keep the player), B) let that team have him for free, or C) trade him to THAT team.

I wonder if Arizona was Plan C. Maybe another team in contention (Yankees, Rays, Cubs) were interested in Dunn. Arizona is the team that claims him. Since Cinncy really wants out of the contract they decide to trade Dunn to Az.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Rumblings from the AZ media seem to indicate that Micah Owings might be one of the ptbnl, most likely pushing this phase of the trade after the season ends.

Does he have options left? Otherwise, he can't be a part of the trade without going to the minors somehow.

Owings is one of the players to be named later per The Arizona Republic.

Owings to Reds in Dunn deal

20 commentsby Nick Piecoro - Aug. 12, 2008 04:57 PM

The Arizona Republic

DENVER - Right-hander Micah Owings is one of the players to be named later in the deal that brought Adam Dunn to the Diamondbacks on Monday.

It's unclear if Owings has yet to be placed on waivers. He will have to clear waivers if he is to be traded before the end of the season.

It's possible that Owings has been placed on waivers already and was claimed by another team, at which point the Diamondbacks would have pulled him back off waivers. That would mean he would not be able to be traded until the conclusion of the regular season. http://view.atdmt.com/NMK/view/cnoccqm20460000012nmk/direct;wi.160;hi.600/01/

It's also unclear is Owings' physical condition could be a factor in the deal. He is expected to miss his start Wednesday with shoulder stiffness.

Owings was inconsistent in his 1 1/2 seasons in the Diamondbacks rotation. He had a 4.30 ERA in 29 games (27 starts) last season, but was in jeopardy of being bumped from the rotation on several occasions. And after a strong start to this season, Owings has a 7.09 ERA since April 21.

But Owings is known as much, if not more, for his hitting. A former designated hitter in college, he has a career .313 average (35 for 112) with five home runs.

Minor league right-hander Dallas Buck also is part of the trade, but the identity of the third minor leaguer is not yet known.

Wow what a horrible trade for the Reds. I would think Dunn would have gotten them more than Owings, Buck, and another player. Unless this other player is an absolute stud but by the way it sounds it maybe just another role player for the Reds.

I think the Diamondbacks got a steal here.

Archived