Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn traded to D'Backs for RHP Dallas Buck and two PTBNL

trwi7

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah... how did Dunn possibly clear waivers? You would have thought LA would have stepped in on this one.

I dunno...what if they actually would have ended up with him...they have an awful lot tied up in Manny and Andruw Jones, and with Kemp, where is he gonna play? I would imagine they would not have been looked upon to highly had they claimed him just to keep him from another team and just let him rot on the bench. I would also guess there is some level of gentlemen's agreements with these types of moves as well. Would heav been kinda funny though...Can you imagine Dunn, Manny and Juan Pierre in the same outfield? They would set defense back to before the game was invented.

If LA claimed Dunn, then Cincy would just pull the plug on the waiver. With Dunn being claimed off waivers, Cincy would get no compensation for Dunn. So there's no reason that they would allow that to happen for their own good.

If LA claimed Dunn, then Cincy would just pull the plug on the waiver. With Dunn being claimed off waivers, Cincy would get no compensation for Dunn. So there's no reason that they would allow that to happen for their own good.

Probably, but not necessarily, which is why it would be a risk for the Dodgers. If the reds pull him back they can't trade him for 30 days anyway, so they would in effect be unable to trade him at all. There is nothing to say the Reds wouldn't be content to put the remaining $5million or whatever in their pocket, and let the Didgers take care of it. Obviously they would forfiet any compensatory picks at the end of the year, so that would seem unlikley, but possible. Just depends on their priorites, what they value, etc.

I've never understood waiver-wire deals like this... can anyone explain it to me? (and you may have to talk like you are talking to a 6 year old... cause I'm not that smart) ... how does this deal get done after the trade deadline? And what is the trade deadline for then?

The one thing I always seem to need clarification on is the timing of clearing waivers. I know it is customary for teams to generally put the "whole team" on waivers after the deadline. Does that then allow anyone who clears to be traded, or does the player(s) need to be put on waivers at the time the trade is made...for instance, within the past 48 hours in this case?

yeah... how did Dunn possibly clear waivers? You would have thought LA would have stepped in on this one.

Here is what you are missing -- Dunn hits the waiver wire with just about every other player in baseball -- LA does not have any knowledge of where Dunn (or any other player for that matter) is heading. For all LA knew, Dunn could have been traded to the D-Rays or Yankees, in which case they would want no part of claiming Dunn.

But even so, don't you think some other team would want him and claim him? I have a really hard time believing no one was willing to claim him.

Dunn's contract is one thing that might have been in the way from someone claiming him and the Reds pulling him off of waivers because they wouldn't get anything in return is another.

Yeah, I'm surprised the Dodgers let this one go thru as well. That was the first thing that came to mind.

Here is what you are missing -- Dunn hits the waiver wire with just about every other player in baseball -- LA does not have any knowledge of where Dunn (or any other player for that matter) is heading. For all LA knew, Dunn could have been traded to the D-Rays or Yankees, in which case they would want no part of claiming Dunn.

Well yes, but I have to believe there is SOME way, thru the grape vine for teams to find out where players are going.

Well yes, but I have to believe there is SOME way, thru the grape vine for teams to find out where players are going.

Just because he was put on waivers doesn't mean he was destined for Arizona. Most players are put on waivers this time of year, before any conversations start with other teams.

I really like this move for Arizona, depending on who the PTBNL's are, obviously. They already had the starting rotation and bullpen to be very dangerous in a short series, and adding Dunn's HR power will definitely help that offense.

Add in the fact that they would likely face the Cubs in the playoffs and Dunn has always killed the Cubs, and I'd say it's an excellent move for the playoff push. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Who plays OF for the Reds next year with both Griffey and Dunn gone? Bruce and..........maybe Freel. Wouldnt think Patterson would get another chance. Drew Stubbs is just starting AA ball. They probably have to go out and get 2 free agents. Odd, for a rebuilding team.

Who plays OF for the Reds next year with both Griffey and Dunn gone? Bruce and..........maybe Freel.

Maybe we can convince Dusty that they need a grizzled veteran out there in CF and trade them Cameron for Cueto?

Yah, right now it looks like Bruce, Freel and Hopper. Maybe throw Chris Dickerson in there. Dusty will be hungry for some veteran prowess.

Archived