Brewer Fanatic

Same old Brewers?

BrewCityUnit
What does this saying mean? I hear it all the time, especially when things are going bad. Now that we have won 5 games in a row, everything is all good in Brewer land. Can we please get rid of this negative attitude. This team is taking advantage of "the weak part of their schedule" and winning baseball games they should be winning. That goes unnoticed when it actually happens, but the minute they lose a couple in a row, all the negative talk will come back. We are going to the playoffs this year, so lets all enjoy it.

Mostly posters in the in-game thread. I guess I just get frustrated when the Brewers meet their expecations but never recieve any credit for that. If we would have lost a game or two against the Nationals the sky would be falling....but since we won it is pretty ho-hum around here.

Mostly posters in the in-game thread. I guess I just get frustrated when the Brewers meet their expecations but never recieve any credit for that. If we would have lost a game or two against the Nationals the sky would be falling....but since we won it is pretty ho-hum around here.

I think there's just more to talk about when things are going wrong. I suppose we could start threads like "Manny Parra: Yay!", but I guess it's always more interesting to theorize about solutions to the negative, than just applaud the positive.

As far as the IGT's go, yeah, I'm very disappointed that they've become mini-venting threads. I think there are a few people who only come in to complain, and rarely praise anything, as if winning happened purely by luck... It is too bad that those people can tend to dominate the conversation though.

I still hear people (mainly on the radio) ripping on Yost. I have no idea what there is to complain about in regards to the manager at this point. I think it's logical that if the team doesn't make the playoffs, he won't be back next year; but really how you can you be mad at the manager of a team that is 16 games over .500? I'm tired of it.

I'm very happy to see the Brewers playing so well lately, as I'm sure most are here.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I still hear people (mainly on the radio) ripping on Yost. I have no idea what there is to complain about in regards to the manager at this point. I think it's logical that if the team doesn't make the playoffs, he won't be back next year; but really how you can you be mad at the manager of a team that is 16 games over .500? I'm tired of it.

I'm very happy to see the Brewers playing so well lately, as I'm sure most are here.

Agreed. And I 100% agree with Brian's post. The negative is more likely to be talked about than the bad. It's like looking up reviews on apartments, hotels, cars, etc. More people are likely to take the time to let their negative thoughts known than their positive thoughts.

Why bring up Yost in this thread? The manager should have made a pitching change in the 8th inning today - very, very valid complaint. The Brewers should be 25 games over .500, sort of like the Rays. This isn't all on Ned, but to say there is nothing to complain about...

The Brewers are playing good right now. Great? Not until they atone for the Cubs debacle. I am still very optimistic on the Brewers chances of making the playoffs. My fear lies in what they do when they finally get there.

Community Moderator

This team is expected to win. Did anyone honestly think we were going to lose the game today once it was in extra innings? The fans were just waiting around to see who would be the hero, they got what they wanted, and everyone went on their way. If they would have lost, then of course we would have to find the scapegoat that prevented the clearly superior Brewers from achieving easy victory. Some of our fans even created a website to specifically decide who is to blame for every Brewers loss this year. Whenever there isn't a single player to blame, the coaching staff takes the fire. Still, there always has to be a scapegoat--someone who is preventing the clearly superior Brewers from achiving their destiny.

As far as the IGT's go, yeah, I'm very disappointed that they've become mini-venting threads. I think there are a few people who only come in to complain, and rarely praise anything, as if winning happened purely by luck... It is too bad that those people can tend to dominate the conversation though.

I'm almost to the point of not posting in the IGT's. Sometimes it's just way too negative and/or sarcastic for me, and this is before the game has even started.

Not sure if the OP question was sincere? "Same old Brewers" = "Here we go again" = "Please end the suffering and disappoinment one of these years ... or decades". I can't fault anyone for being on edge or venting with that attitude when things start to go awry.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

One of the funny things about the Central race is that you have these two sometimes fatalist fan bases (the Cubs and the Brewers) going head-to-head, so the level of angst/grumbling is bound to be fairly high. And I think that's somewhat inevitable whenever you're in the middle of a season, and you don't have much perspective. (Somewhere there are grumpy Angels fans, complaining about something.)

Why bring up Yost in this thread? The manager should have made a pitching change in the 8th inning today - very, very valid complaint. The Brewers should be 25 games over .500, sort of like the Rays. This isn't all on Ned, but to say there is nothing to complain about...

I brought up Yost because he still seems to be the number one complaint heard about in regards to this team. Some people seem just dead convinced we cannot win anything with him at the helm, even though the Crew currently holds the NL Wild Card spot. I don't know if I believe we "should have 9 or 10 more wins this season" either. Every team is going to lose some games "they should have won." It happens in sports.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

whole.When you have people running around saying that the Brewers "should be" 25 games over .500, it's not hard to figure out why there's a disproportionate amount of complaining, relative to the Brewer's on field performance. The Brewers have needed a little luck just to get 16 over. They done extremely well in close games this year.

A significant portion of the Brewers' fanbase just do not have realistic expecations from game to game. That includes anyone who's ever muttered the phrase, "Playoff teams don't ..." in response to something the Brewers did. The average playoff team still loses almost 40% of their games! That's not to say that the Brewers never do anything that deserves to be criticized. You just need to look at the big picture, though. One play or one game isn't telling us very much about the season as a whole.

A significant portion of the Brewers' fanbase just do not have realistic expecations from game to game.

Heck rluzinski, some don't have realistic expectations from AB-to-AB, pitch-to-pitch even. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Heck rluzinski, some don't have realistic expectations from AB-to-AB, pitch-to-pitch even. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's not our fault. We want the Brewers to win a lot. I don't want to go into the last week of September and not have a playoff berth wrapped up. I don't know how I would handle not making the playoffs this year if we didn't make it.

Maybe I worry about this too much. You think coffee would do the trick? I'd probably run around like an idiot with all the caffeine. Anybody know somebody who has a ton of coffee and would like to share some of it? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Invader3K wrote:
I brought up Yost because he still seems to be the number one complaint heard about in regards to this team. Some people seem just dead convinced we cannot win anything with him at the helm, even though the Crew currently holds the NL Wild Card spot. I don't know if I believe we "should have 9 or 10 more wins this season" either. Every team is going to lose some games "they should have won." It happens in sports.

Some people seem pretty convinced Ned Yost is doing a great job and has somehow proved himself because the team is 16 games over .500 and lead the wild card. Ned's team hasn't won anything yet. I hope to God I have the opportunity to go to a NLCS game this year. But given the track record of Ned's game management, I wouldn't place any money on the team getting that far. I am convinced this team is not the same old Brewer team we have seen the last 25+ years. It does help their biggest competition to make the playoffs is St. Louis. The '87 and '92 teams finished with 91 and 92 wins respectively and ended up sitting home. Thanks to the addition of the WC in '95, those same number of wins now gives the 4th team a very good chance of playing in the post season.

I think the "Same old Brewers" mentality this year is a product of Ned's teams collapsing down the stretch the past few seasons. A favorable schedule and two staff aces should get them over the hump this year. But if your manager is unable to take a reliever out of the game when its clear he needs to be taken out of the game, the postseason schedule will tear him apart.

Edit: In addition, please feel free to fill me in on what my realistic expectation should be. Because right now I really don't konw what they should be. 90 wins? 84? 95? Please help me, I can't handle not knowing how many wins we will have this year.

I'm kind of PO'd about this thread. When the Brewers win, there is nothing to complain about, so a thread is started to complain about the fans. There always has to be something to complain about I guess.

I am one of the "sarcastic posters" on the IGT, mainly just because it's amusing to me to not take it so seriously. I give credit where credit is due, and I voice my opinion when I disagree with something. Yet, it comes off as being pessimistic. I don't think there is really a right or wrong way to be a fan, some have different feelings because of the dismal second halves of the season that the Brewers have had in recent seasons and it causes them to be uneasy on a game to game basis. At least thats what it seems like on the IGT.. always wondering when it might happen. Not saying I think this way because I think this team is obviously better than those in recent years.

Assuming Braun's injury is not serious, I very much like the position we are in right now, and we are playing good baseball for the year as a whole. However, I'm going to wait until a playoff berth is clinched before I get overly excited or even cocky about this team.

We're in a great position as of today.

I don't think it's hard to see why many fans act they way they do, with very, very, very guarded optimism. Whether history has any relevance or no relevance, diehard fans are still going to reference it emotionally, it's something that cannot be controlled and is just part of human nature.

It's not our fault. We want the Brewers to win a lot. I don't want to go into the last week of September and not have a playoff berth wrapped up. I don't know how I would handle not making the playoffs this year if we didn't make it.

Maybe I worry about this too much. You think coffee would do the trick? I'd probably run around like an idiot with all the caffeine. Anybody know somebody who has a ton of coffee and would like to share some of it? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think I'm helped out by my Dad. He knows A LOT about baseball, but lets himself get waaaay too worked up about it, and really, all sports for that matter.

So I'm the one who tries to keep the level head and calm him down most times.

At the end of the day, it's still just a kids game, played by overpaid adults.

Archived