Brewer Fanatic

White Sox's Contreras ruptures left achilles tendon; out for season

TooLiveBrew

Community Moderator

That's a tough loss, although he only had a 4.54 ERA, a 1.36 WHIP and a 2-1 K-BB ratio.

I see it as a big break for the Twins, mostly. They've somehow managed to close the Sox's lead to 1/2 game and just got Liriano back.

On the other hand, the Tigers remain a game under .500 and 7.5 back. If there was ever a team with the offense to pull a Rockies-like miracle and make the push, it's them. Their achilles heel is their pitching, which improved to 8th in the AL in ERA in July, but I would put them on the lower "tier" in terms of pitching. They sure know how to score runs, though. The reason that they are finished has nothing to do with that--it is that they have 2 superior teams ahead of them, so even if the Tigers pull off an extended winning streak, they won't be able to make up enough ground.

I can see the White Sox seriously going hard after Jerrod Washburn now.

Too bad for Contreras. He really had turned things around from last season's disappointment.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I thought he ruptured his achilles tendon, not his ACL?

It's a tough break for the White Sox, especially since there's a chance he could be out a full calendar year with an injury like this. Considering his age, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for this to be a career-ender. For some reason, Contreras was always a guy I kind of liked for whatever reason -- I think it was seeing him have success by changing his arm slot on nearly every pitch after being forced to stick to a single slot in New York and struggling. Hopefully it's not the end of the line for him, but if it is, at least he got a World Series ring and put together a decent career after a shaky start.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived