Brewer Fanatic

CC sweepstakes

brewtank34

Can Brewerfan.net sponser an on-line donation to the CC Sabathia sweepstakes? I would be willing to offer $25- $50 to get CC back in our starting rotation next year... If all of the posters on Brewerfan.net alongside a generous advertising push, I'm thinking we could generate a sizeable amount of money to send to Mark A to get CC back next year. I would like to think that this would be the first of its kind in that fans actually provide added funding to the owner in obtaining a player.

Brewerfan.net...I leave the legalities to you and to see if this is even possible. Mark me down though. $25 times 15000 people equals $375,0000. I'm thinking with an added PR push, this could get more than 15000 fans offering at least $25.

I think that might be against the rules in baseball. Anyway, a creative idea that if everything fell exactly as planned would be lucky to generate 200k, somehow I dont that is the tipping point for Mark A to dig into his pockets for the other 124.8 million it is going to cost to sign him long term.

The fact is, no. It really wouldn't work. Even if it did, he'd have to be a pretty sick man to take money from a bunch of probably-debt-ridden admirers who will spend their lives making far less than he does in a single year. Furthermore, with how great he is doing in Milwaukee, he will easily be the #1 FA this off-season and probably command more than Santana did, something the Brewers can't (and shouldn't) even think about considering he'd chew up about 1/4 of our payroll at the same time that we have to start shelling out cash to our young talent.

Our ONLY chance to get him is if he has a kind, highly atypical athlete heart that decides it wants to make a bunch of fans very, very, very happy. Alas, it isn't happening. We all knew Sabathia was a rental when we got him, and it's not going to change. You'd think after 15 or so million a year, the numbers just start to blur and athletes start to think about other people. Agents, however, simply laugh at your adorable naivety.

Perhaps a more realistic option would be to get people to pledge to donate X dollars to Sabathia's favorite charity if he sign's with Milwaukee. I know he, in the past made comments criticizing MLB for it's job at getting young black athletes invovled in baseball at a young age. So a charity promoting Little League Programs in Urban area's might be a charity he would be interested in. The problem wouldn't be getting people to pledge money, the problem would be getting people to actually donate money.

You'd think after 15 or so million a year, the numbers just start to blur and athletes start to think about other people. Agents, however, simply laugh at your adorable naivety.

Other teams have fans too. They will be plenty happy when their team signs CC this offseason. CC will be thinking of other people when he signs his deal. He will be thinking of the generations of his family that he can make sure will have good lives because of his ability to make an incredible fortune.

The problem not thought of when this plan was hatched is the problem of Milwaukee being the smallest metro market in baseball. If this even was legal, I don't know if it is or not, but if it was, I think the fans of NY, Chicago, anywhere else besides Milwaukee actually would have a better chance of raising more money.

I would like to think that this would be the first of its kind in that fans actually provide added funding to the owner in obtaining a player.

I'd like to think the $10 we have to pay to park a car and the $8 it costs to buy a beer would provide some of the money needed to sign Sabathia.

If you're going to donate $25, do so to a charity, not to a man making millions of dollars a year to play a game.

I donate my fair share a year to charity...this would be going to "my brewers love" charity.

Frankly, I think it's high and mighty of you to assume that I as well as others don't donate to charity. Get off your high horse and enjoy baseball. That's what I'm trying to do.

Let's not kid ourselves...I'm sure Melvin will make some sort of offer to CC and/or Sheets...but the market will dictate if it will be enough (and we all know it likely won't be). They're not going to go overboard to sign a starting pitcher just because fans become a little more vocal about it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Robin Yount can set up a lemonade stand next to the baked sale.

A better question concerning donating money to the team is: say you win a 300 million dollar powerball jackpot. can you team up with Mark A to own the Brewers? After the taxes, you still have tons of money. What are the legalities behind that? What's powerball at now? GO BUY YOUR LOTTERY TICKETS PEOPLE!

If you're going to donate $25, do so to a charity, not to a man making millions of dollars a year to play a game.
I donate my fair share a year to charity...this would be going to "my brewers love" charity.

Frankly, I think it's high and mighty of you to assume that I as well as others don't donate to charity. Get off your high horse and enjoy baseball. That's what I'm trying to do.

I don't think anybody was assuming that you don't donate to charity, but merely suggesting that it would be better to put an additional $25 toward that cause instead of one that is against baseball rules.

Archived