Brewer Fanatic

Dog Field Training Recommendations?

RobertR

OK, I'm the proud owner of an 8 week old American Water Spaniel and I have several basic obedience courses selected for him. He's a great little dog so far. BTW, here's a photo.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/eviltwin120/100_0292.jpg

He goes by the name of Shemp, as Curly was just too obvious a name for a Water Spaniel.

Anyways, after obedience, I want to get him into training for hunting, primarily for grouse and pheasants. And, yeah, I can buy the books and videos (and if someone has any recommendations on them, I'll be glad to read them), but I'm looking for hands on trainers as well. I don't want to send him away for a couple of weeks either, I'm more interested in classes. Anybody have some recommendations?

Robert

This may be obvious, so I apologize if it is, but I know one of the most important things in training a dog to gun-hunt with you is to get it exposed to the sound of gunshots asap. Dogs have a strong instinct to fear a noise & vibration like that (think 4th of July), and basically just have to unlearn that fear.

Again, I apologize if that was blatantly obvious. Not sure how familiar you are or aren't with dogs, Robert. What a cute little guy!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, he'll get exposed to gunshots, although it's likely to be in the fall. My understanding is that the best way to deal with them is to get dogs over their initial startlement and then treat it as no big deal. I'm hoping to get some grouse hunting in early and get him started on wings early.

As for where I live, Milwaukee area. I'm willing to travel a bit, although I'd like to keep it within 50 miles or so.

Robert

Archived