Brewer Fanatic

The Ryan Braun Injury Thread

holybannana
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DonMoney4Mgr wrote: (posted 8/13/08)
Any injury for the brewers of a key player is always more serious than initially thought. Or it's just a serious injury to a key player when we think things are going pretty good.

Don't be surprised (I am no Doctor) if he misses most of the rest of the regular season, or re-injures it trying to come back too soon, or his swing mechanics get screwed up

Boy, I hate it when I'm right

So is this failure #2 of the medical staff? (The first allowing Yo to pitch after blowing out his ACL)

How can you say the potential for Yo to pitch this season is a failure when it has not even happened yet?

As for Braun, if it's "nothing" like Braun said and he's just a little tight, I still sit him the rest of the Astros series and take advantage of the off day Thursday.

Sit him through the rest of the homestand. That gives him 7 days rest and gets him back for the Cardinals series.

And yes, if Braun is seriously re-injured then it is a failure by the medical staff. He should have not been back into the lineup until he was 100% healthy without any shadow of a doubt.

Combine this with Yost putting CC in with a 7 run lead and over 100 pitches already, and you have idiocy abound right now in the dugout.

For what its worth, Ned said this morning on WTMJ that Braun felt his muscles tighten again a bit (as discussed) but with the game going as it was with the Brewers leading 7-2 at the time, he decided he didn't want to risk anything.

So he was basically saying that yes he felt discomfort, but reading through the lines, Yost would have kept him in there if the game was an important and close game with pennant implications.

I still think this is a Brewers smoke screen in that, Braun reinjured it, and has taken a few steps back. However, as with most injuries, they are trying to make his availability unknown to their opponents if in fact they decide not to DL him again.

I am afraid though we are going to lose our Albert Pujols for a portion of the stretch drive.....

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why? -- What tangible advantage is there to be gained?

Betting lines!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Why? -- What tangible advantage is there to be gained?
Bottom line, I suppose they probably want to make it appear that Ned has 5 guys on the bench to use (say Rivera, Counsell, Nix, Durham and Braun) versus saying that Braun is out completely. This makes Coop's job a bit tougher when planning pitching changes in late inning situations if he even thinks Braun could come out of the dugout to face that lefty that he might want to put in the game in that late inning situation, etc. This could/would only work for a couple of days before the other teams realize that Braun just isn't going to play.

My pessimistic side says a DL stint is coming because it didn't heal with the six or so days off.....

FWIW, I heard Bill Schroeder on the D-List this morning, and he said that he didn't think Braun would be out for much at all, though he may not be in the lineup tonight. He said that Braun's removal last night was more of a precautionary measure than anything.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

How can you say the potential for Yo to pitch this season is a failure when it has not even happened yet?

Yo went back out and pitched against the Cubs after the injury in the same game.

There was no way to know that Yo had torn his ACL during that game -- after the game, everyone thought that he had just tweaked his knee. It wasn't until he went in for the MRI that we found out he had torn his ACL. I agree it was stupid to keep him out there to risk arm injury while overcompensating for his knee, but that's more on Yost than it is the training staff. Once the ACL is torn, it can't be torn any more.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't see the point of putting him on the 15 day DL. By September 1st we will have any replacement or bench players we will need. What if Braun feels better in 5 days? Then we would have regretted putting him on the DL. If we need another offensive player coming off the bench, just send down a pitcher since we don't really use our bull pen that much anyways.

There was no way to know that Yo had torn his ACL during that game -- after the game, everyone thought that he had just tweaked his knee. It wasn't until he went in for the MRI that we found out he had torn his ACL. I agree it was stupid to keep him out there to risk arm injury while overcompensating for his knee, but that's more on Yost than it is the training staff. Once the ACL is torn, it can't be torn any more.

Not to hijack this thread, but there is a test you can do to find out if the three major ligaments are stable without benefit of a MRI. Between the half innings the medical staff took Yo into the clubhouse to perform that test. Can you know for sure the ACL is blown out based on this test? No. But you unless you can find the ligament and verify that its completely intact why are you sending him back out there? Epic fail imo. You can't hurt the ACL anymore once its blown out, but you can certainly hurt your pitching arm trying to compensate for an unstable knee. I'm no Yost fan, but blaming him for that isn't correct. He trusted his medical staff as he should in that situation.

As far as this Braun injury only being a tweak or whatever, its still very significant. Its tough for a power hitter to be effective if in the back of his mind he's afraid to let his swing go because of potential sudden pain. Braun isn't "tweaking" if he's 100% before he starts swinging a bat again. So now instead of missing 15 days he misses 20+ days or they go the rest of the season with their best hitter at less then 100%. Also a total failure by the medical staff imo.

Archived