Brewer Fanatic

The Ryan Braun Injury Thread

holybannana
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have to assume someone has been designated as the emergency outfielder should something happen to one of the three we have left.

Is it Counsell, Branyan, or Hall?

Personally, I'd be willing to stay up three hours past my normal shuteye time (I'm up daily at 4am, so West Coast games are out of the picture for me) just to see Prince Fielder playing center field because Cameron got a charley horse.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Hey, maybe it really is an oblique? Apparently, Paul Konerko also went out with an "intercostal strain" last month, and this is what the DL Informer had to say then. (Just thought it was interesting parallel, given the bat-swinging element.)

Seriously, why call an oblique injury an intercostal strain? This is how Paul Konerko's injury was classified today, following an injury apparently sustained during batting practice. I highly doubt that Konerko strained an intercostal muscle while swinging a bat, especially since the intercostal muscles do not rotate the trunk. This seems to be the cop-out diagnosis of the year.

In any event, a muscular strain in the lower rib/oblique area can be painful because of the amount of force generated during the swinging motion (I repeat - intercostal muscles do not rotate the trunk - they assist with exhalation (internal intercostals) or inhalation (external intercostals). This could be a mild oblique strain that takes a couple days to get over, or it could be something that lingers and requires a DL stint (like Gary Sheffield or Jake Westbrook). We'll have to await word of how he is feeling.

Hopefully we'll see some Branyan in left field this series.

Agreed, but I think we have a better chance of seeing Tony Gwynn Sr. in left this series. Yost won't start Branyan over Counsell at third, so why would he put him in left over Kapler?

This seems to be the cop-out diagnosis of the year.

In any event, a muscular strain in the lower rib/oblique area can be painful because of the amount of force generated during the swinging motion (I repeat - intercostal muscles do not rotate the trunk - they assist with exhalation (internal intercostals) or inhalation (external intercostals).

The obliques are most certainly the primary muscle involved in rotating the trunk and, if this motion is what is causing Braun the most pain, a very possible culprit. However, pain within the intercostals can certainly be triggered by the swinging motion, and he complained of trouble breathing, indicating intercostals moreso than obliques. In the end, if what we have been given through the media is to be believed (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), it appears Braun has a muscle strain/spasm. Whether it is in the intercostals or obliques is nitpicking. I'd guess he will be feeling better in a couple days or so, though the Brewers will probably be cautious and wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be a week or more of recovery in total (how's that for a precise diagnosis?!)

I am not Shea Vucinich

A woman I know had this same sort of injury earlier this summer, she was stepping out of the shower, she reached for a towel, and suddenly she could barely move from the pain.

Things stayed like that for about five days, she couldn't lift anything, it hurt to take a deep breath, etc, and then it stopped just as suddenly as it had started.

Any injury for the brewers of a key player is always more serious than initially thought. Or it's just a serious injury to a key player when we think things are going pretty good. Larry Hisle, Rollie Fingers, Paul Molitor, Teddy Higuera, Cal Eldred, Yo, and now Braun.

Don't be surprised (I am no Doctor) if he misses most of the rest of the regular season, or re-injures it trying to come back too soon, or his swing mechanics get screwed up and he slumps when he returns. This is the Brewers. It's not if something bad is going to happen its when.

This is the Brewers. It's not if something bad is going to happen its when.

This logic should allow us the comfort of not having to worry about the Cubs. Similarily, I will keep my eyes on my German friends, afterall, its not if they start another war its when.

Ned did say (according to BA) that Braun would be out if it was a playoff situation.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif Do you mean he would not be out if...? I assume the point was that he would be playing if it were the playoffs.

yes, I heard BA say the same thing. Ned told him that if it was a playoff-type situation, that Braun WOULD be in the lineup.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

That was a fun read, thanks for the link. How uncommon is it for a major leaguer to not be drafted out of high school (IIRC, Weeks wasn't drafted out of HS either)? I wonder if Braun's perceived cockiness turned off a few teams. I mean, the guy hit a homer at Dodger Stadium in HS! Hard to believe some team wouldn't spend one of its 50 picks on him.

Archived