Brewer Fanatic

The Ryan Braun Injury Thread

holybannana
I'm calling it: "Broken Rib(s)!" I don't wish it upon anyone, but by what he is describing sure does sound like it. I hope I am wrong. I know people who broke their ribs from sneezing. Yes is very freak, doing it this way, but it can be done. **Crossing fingers hoping I'm wrong**

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like BTA said it is most likely a muscle strain. I have gotten them a couple times and they are horrible. Its mostly a dull ache but if you move just right it is like someone just kicked you in the side or you got stabbed. It bends you over.

I'm calling it: "Broken Rib(s)!" I don't wish it upon anyone, but by what he is describing sure does sound like it. I hope I am wrong. I know people who broke their ribs from sneezing. Yes is very freak, doing it this way, but it can be done. **Crossing fingers hoping I'm wrong**

Boy, I hope your wrong on that. If broken, that could be 1-2 months until they heal. I would think the club would have taken some kind of x-rays, though, to determine what kind of treatment is needed.

A rib fracture or some kind of ligament damage would be easy to detect and I can't imagine the Brewers would hide it.

But, say, the Jenkins broken pelvis, or whatever, lends some credence to the idea that the Brewers aren't forthcoming about injuries.

Forthcoming or not, I can't help but be worried, given how much torque there is in Braun's swing.

Please, someone with medical chops put me at ease here so I can get on with my day....

Community Moderator
With Braun out again today, you have to start wondering if he will go on the DL in order to bring up some help for the upcoming road trip. Any chance we could see Jay Gibbons? He's batting .300 with an .811 OPS in Nashville in 60 AB.

A rib fracture or some kind of ligament damage would be easy to detect and I can't imagine the Brewers would hide it.

Yeah, a broken rib would be easy to detect and I'm sure the Brewers have already checked that out. Also, there aren't significant ligaments between the ribs as there are in major joints, it's really just muscles (intercostals). He likely is having spasms, though I can't claim to know how long those typically take to subside.

I am not Shea Vucinich

If Fernando Tatis can resurrect a dead career, why couldn't we catch lightning in a bottle with Jay Gibbons?

Light blue, because I guess I'm only half joking.

After Dempster went from being a 4+ ERA closer to a sub 3 ERA starter and Ryan Ludwick hit 20 HRs by the all star break I'd say anything is possible.

Believe me I hope it's a muscle strain. However when Braun said that he is very uncomfortable even when taking muscle relaxers it just made me think broken ribs.

His pain sounds just like broken ribs to me.

Two months ago to the day, I broke two of my ribs. One month later, I was able to excercise again. Just during the last few days I have finally started to feel 100%, so hopefully it's not ribs for Ryan. Can't imagine trying to swing a bat during that first month.

If it was broken ribs, when would he have broken them? Certainly not swinging the bat.

I don't think it's anything more than strained muscles, or whatever they are calling it.

Based upon nothing at all, I expect him back at least by the Dodgers series.

He has had a very injury plagued career and plays in Oakland so it doesn't surprise me, just always funny when someone goes all Pat Listach on the league and goes from ROY to a memory in 4 years.

Angel Berroa is/was on that track as well, but getting traded to the Dodgers earlier this year made everyone go "Oh yeah, I kinda remember that guy..." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'd have to think Braun really wants to play during this road trip, considering it's a trip back to his home state. I imagine there will be a lot of friends and family in attendance in LA.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He has had a very injury plagued career and plays in Oakland so it doesn't surprise me, just always funny when someone goes all Pat Listach on the league and goes from ROY to a memory in 4 years.

I prefer "going all Jerome Walton."

Archived