Brewer Fanatic

Purebread Rabbits

bando1234

When I proposed to my wife 15 years ago I did not think her "hobby" would take over a good chunk of my life. My wife & kids breed, raise & sell purebread rabbits. I have paid as much as $125 for a rabbit(it died about 1 1/2 years later). I go thru a bag of feed a week. The last time I bought feed a bag was about $17.00. It just cant be any feed either. I have to clean the trays a couple of times a week. I converted my storage shed into a rabbit shed. I had to get a truck to haul the rabbits to shows. The closest show is about an hour away, the farthest show is about 4 hours away.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think its a bad thing. My kids are starting to buy their own rabbits(my son just bought one today plus we just sold one today)They are learing responsiblity, taking care of them & anything we earn goes right back to feed . They are pretty adorable, & I have never had one of my own bite me so thats a plus. Plus I really love my truck so that would be another plus.

Over all I enjoy the overall expierence & I think we bond more as a family because of this.

Im just curious how many of you have them or know of someone who raises them.

I raised rabbits for many years when I was younger. Mostly satins (Siamese and Red mainly) but also some Californians and New Zealand whites. I always enjoyed raising them; they're a fairly easy animal to care for. Now that I've moved out on my own, I don't have the facility to take care of them, but maybe at some point in the future I'll raise some again.

Archived