Brewer Fanatic

Mr 3000, Bernie Mac - Dead

Paul77

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/09/obit.bernie.mac.ap/index.html

Bernie Mac, the Emmy and Golden Globe nominated actor and comedian who worked his way to Hollywood success from an impoverished upbringing on Chicago's South Side, died Saturday at age 50.Actor/comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital," his publicist, Danica Smith, said in a statement from Los Angeles, California.

She said no other details were available and asked that his family's privacy be respected.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

wow, pneumonia in the summertime. Didn't somebody mention in the "What's Bugging You?" thread about getting pneumonia in the summertime and how weird that is?

Too sad to see him go at age 50. I was never a big fan (I saw Mr. 3000 one time) but he seemed to be a pretty funny guy. I never knew he made it out of the projects.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I used to be a pretty big fan of his TV show from a few years ago. It was a nice change of pace from the standard situational comedy and it deserved to have a bit more hip cred then it ever got. Mac is also the second cast member from Bad Santa to die waaaay ahead of his time. How crappy.

The Bernie Mac show was great, and I loved his performance in Ocean's Eleven. "Black man can't get a job dealing cards? Pft...might as well call it White Jack." Why do all the talented people have to die young? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The pneumonia may have been complicated by his other lung problems, though his publicist says they're unrelated. From Yahoo

Mac suffered from sarcoidosis, an inflammatory lung disease that produces tiny lumps of cells in the body's organs, but had said the condition went into remission in 2005. He recently was hospitalized and treated for pneumonia, which his publicist said was not related to the disease

Sarcoidosis is a rheumatologic disorder.

Healthy 50 year old's don't die from pneumonia. If it's not connected to the multi-system issue (primarily lung), it would be logical that the medication or treatment he is receiving for Sarcoidosis compromised him in some way that made him more suspectible (immunosuppressed) to pneumonia.

It's awfully odd for a publicist to have to come out on the day his/her client died and indicate the death is not related to the primary diagnosis. Something else is going on....either another health issue or perhaps poor care/treatment.

Healthy 50 year old's don't die from pneumonia.

Tell that to Jim Henson. Of course he didn't exactly help his cause by initially refusing to go to the hospital.

That being said I agree this whole situation is incredibly odd. Complications from pneumonia can occur, but are usually pretty treatable. What with the publicist releasing a statement yesterday that Mac was expected to make a full recovery, his death comes as even more of a shock. If the pneumonia was a drug resistant strain, it should have already been identified and that statement never should have been made. But the situation certainly has the appearance that someone involved may not have been competent.

There are plenty of questions about Jim Henson's death as well. It's quite unusual for this to happen. It's even more unusual for a press staffer to distance from the most obvious conclusion on the day he died.

This is the result of some immunosuppression issue.

Oh I agree the circumstances surrounding Henson's death were strange. A misdiagnosis (how the hell does that happen) and them him refusing to be hospitalized both contributed to his death. It was in all likelihood a preventable death, but it still was a pretty aggressive strain that he succumbed too.

I'm guessing that since they say Mac died from complications from pneumonia that means septic shock. But what's odd is he had been hospitalized for a week so he should have had whatever particular bacteria strain identified and antibiotics administered to stabilize his condition. That he would suffer septic shock that late into the process is what is so strange. Either he had a antibiotic resistant strain, which in that case the publicist should have never sent out a press release claiming he was stabilized and recovering, or the doctors screwed up and treated him incorrectly.

At this point I just hope the publicist is an idiot and was feeding false information, rather then it being a screw up by the medical staff.

Did he have AIDS?

Don't alot of people with Aids die from pneumonia?

People with AIDS dont die from aids, they die from the smallest infection that they cant fight off. Pneumonia yes would be an example, but a cold could have the same effect. Since it says that he was a great family man and doesnt seem like the kind that would be cheating on his wife, i highly doubt it was from aids.

Archived