Brewer Fanatic

Official Olympics Thread

gbpacker40
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't read the entire thread, but you know what bothers me...

People who want the basketball team to loose, just because they don't like the NBA and think they are all "thugs".

Then those are people who haven't been paying attention and are still living in the past. Have they taken a look at this year's team? Maybe you could call Carmelo a "thug," but that's about it. USA Basketball is a lot different now than it was 4 years ago. And this is coming from someone who can't stand the NBA.

That Phelps race was freaking insane. I was watching it with a group of people and it was a lot of fun. I was glad the protest was dismissed afterwards. And Torres has a chance at a gold tomorrow too! Just nuts.

And Usain Bolt just looks like a machine right now. I don't think Tyson Gay can hang with him right now, injury or no injury. I hope I'm wrong; I like Tyson and want him to win, but I think he's going to end up with silver. The 4x100 should be an entertaining race too. IIRC, the US has only lost that race once when they didn't drop the baton, and that was in 1996. Both they and the Jamaicans have three guys through to the semifinals of the 100, so that relay is shaping up to be a great one.

The U.S. has so many swimming medals because swimming gives away so many medals; that's one of the reasons that I don't buy into Phelps as the greatest Olympian ever (....no matter how good Michael Jordan was for the basketball team in Barcelona, they could only win one medal; ditto for May/Walsh-Treanor in '04 and '08)

I'd be awfully curious to see who you think the greatest Olympian is. "Swimming" isn't a singular sport like basketball is. They don't just split these events up for the heck of it and to create more medals (it's like saying if there was only one track and field medal, Charles Barkley would be considered on par with Edwin Moses); they're all very different disciplines, and Phelps has excelled in a huge chunk of them in two and a half Olympiads in a row to the tune of 15 medals so far, 13 of them Gold. That's unprecedented.

In my opinion, the only Olympians who can touch him are Carl Lewis and Paavo Nurmi.

I'd be awfully curious to see who you think the greatest Olympian is. "Swimming" isn't a singular sport like basketball is. They don't just split these events up for the heck of it and to create more medals (it's like saying if there was only one track and field medal, Charles Barkley would be considered on par with Edwin Moses); they're all very different disciplines, and Phelps has excelled in a huge chunk of them in two and a half Olympiads in a row to the tune of 15 medals so far, 13 of them Gold. That's unprecedented.

In my opinion, the only Olympians who can touch him are Carl Lewis and Paavo Nurmi.

There are so many ways you could look at this, and I don't know if there is a right way. One might argue that they could just have a single swimming event where you just swim as fast as you can any way you want (is that what the "freestyle" is? I don't even know how to swim), and that having so many swimming events is like giving out separate basketball medals for shooting, defense, rebounding, dunking, etc. I'm not saying thats right, but it's another perspective. I do think though, that if a basketball player on a relatively weak team had an amazing tournament and somehow lead his team to a gold medal on his own, he would deserve to be considered among the greatest Olympians.

HOLY FREAKING CRAP! How the hell did Phelps pull that out?

and it has a lot to do with pride, and the USA on the chest.

And some crazy good swimming ability and a bit of luck. That was unbelievable to watch. Can't wait to see the relay tonight and see if he can get his 8th gold. The Olympics have been fun so far, no doubt.

Impressive show by the basketball team today against Spain. Just complete domination against the World Champions.

And be warned...ESPN.com has the men's 100 meter dash results displayed pretty prominently on their front page (as does Wikipedia), so avoid those places if you want to be unspoiled for tonight.

Man, tough day for the men shot putters. Going in thinking a 1-2-3 sweep. Results: Cantwell silver, Hoffa 7th, Nelson fouls out.

Tonight, live women's marathon. Can Deena repeat? Can Paula redeem? Get the snacks ready for this one.

Oh yeah, a certain sprint race as well. Whoever ends up third may be the fastest third place finish ever.

Impressive show by the basketball team today against Spain. Just complete domination against the World Champions.

And be warned...ESPN.com has the men's 100 meter dash results displayed pretty prominently on their front page (as does Wikipedia), so avoid those places if you want to be unspoiled for tonight.

Oh dont worry, I woke up and signed onto the internet and my homepage (MSN.com) proudly displayed all the results from the overnight at the top of the page in huge letter and pictures. Talk about blowing the suspense.

Oh dont worry, I woke up and signed onto the internet and my homepage (MSN.com) proudly displayed all the results from the overnight at the top of the page in huge letter and pictures. Talk about blowing the suspense.

Did NBC not have live coverage of the race? Not going to say anything specific to avoid spoiling it for somebody, but I'm certainly pleased to have been able to witness it on live TV.

Im not sure, I went to bed after the quaterfinals, it was after 10:00 pm. I dont think they showed the finals, I would imagine that NBC will run the finals on tape during primetime tonight. I couldnt find a video of the final, just stills both on ESPN and on NBC.com I took that to mean that it hadnt aired yet.

I was spoiled as to the outcome, but I still couldn't believe the men's 100 final. Bolt looked like he was just doing a practice acceleration instead of running the Olympic final. When he decides to run a 100 full-out sometime in the next few years, he might set a record that won't be touched for a very long time.

I just happened to turn the channel just as the 100m race started. Pretty amazing stuff that he won easily, despite pulling up with 20% of the race remaining and even looking to his side to see there were any competitors around.

Oh, and Michael Phelps. Bravo!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Tiny Singapore won a silver in women's team ping pong. It's the tiny country's second ever olympic medal, their first medal was 48 years ago. Being in Singapore, think I'd like ping pong to be in the olympics too http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Michael Phelps is absolutely amazing. 8 Golds in one Olympics and I've lost count on how many world records he has broken along the way. The Chinese call him the American Superfish, I guess that's a compliment.

7 of the 8 were World Records, the 8th was "only" an Olympic Record.

Tonight, live women's marathon. Can Deena repeat? Can Paula redeem? Get the snacks ready for this one.

Oh yeah, a certain sprint race as well. Whoever ends up third may be the fastest third place finish ever.

Watching Deena drop out was like a punch in the gut. Bummer. But a poor job by NBC for failing to follow up om her and the other two Americans in the race. Still don't know what happened with her. I'll have to check the IGT when I have a chance.

So much for the m100 showdown. Mike Felder put it best: when Bolt decides to finally race, he'll set the standard for the next generation...or two.

Kudos to Walter Dix picking up the bronze. Wonder if he thought he had any chance 48 hours ago. Side note: in the 2007 NCAA Indoors, Dix stumbled at the 60m start, costing FSU ten points and allowing Wisconsin to take the NCAA title.

Have any of the baseball games been on? I can never seem to catch them.

I caught USA comeback againt Canada yesterday afternoon, but can't remember which of the 4-5 channels showing events that it was on.

Archived