Brewer Fanatic

Official Olympics Thread

gbpacker40
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

China made it their sole mission to beat the United States in the medal count ever since they found out they'd get the 2008 games...they've spent millions (if not billions) of dollars in research and training the past 8 years. I remember stories coming out a couple years ago about China and Russia pooling their resources together in an attempt to take down the Americans in the Olympics...they don't screw around when it comes to this stuff.

Edit: Of course, it helps to have the women's gymnastics all-around competition rigged, too. China's getting away with a ton of deductions, while the U.S. girls are being docked for making the same mistakes.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

ttsather, I am watching the Gymnast all-around as well. Nastia Liukin looks like she wants to kill the judges right now. And then there has been two or three interruptions by the head judge because of some discrepancies of the scoring. The head judge doesn't seem to be too happy with the way things have gone with the scorers thus far.

But Liukin's last rotation put her on top of the standings as far as the All-Around scoring is concerned. This is why sports with judges just simply don't work.

And what is going on with Michael Phelps, the guy can't lose anymore.

Did I hear some "USA! USA! USA!" chants while everyone was waiting for Johnson's score?

Awesome ending to the competition. Well worth staying up late, IMO. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Incredible performances by both girls. Hard to believe that Shawn Johnson still managed to complete that routine knowing that the Gold Medal was all but out-of-reach.

And for Nastia, like Father, like Daughter; it's hard to imagine that she could have been better than she was in the all-around.

I just hope I still have that kind of energy when I'm Bella Karoli's age.

Bela Karyoli reminds me of a hyperactive version of John Madden in his sport. The guy is totally out there. And although she is from Iowa, its good to see a Midwesterner get the silver in the event.

By the way, ESPN.com needs to make that their top story for at least five seconds.

Oh, and by the way... how is LaPorta doing for Team USA?

Bela Karyoli reminds me of a hyperactive version of John Madden in his sport. The guy is totally out there.

A hyperactive version of John Madden whose English skills are hard to understand at times. But extremely opinionated, which makes for interesting times, if you can understand him.

anybody notice how Johnson runs? she has an ugly running (and walking) gait to me.

I don't think it is really ugly, she seems very well put together from her mid section on down, that probably causes a little bit of the weirdness. It doesn't help that she is like 3 feet tall either.

It is just amazing what these women can do. I am not so sure I could walk across a balance beam, and there doing flips and spins with no hands.

And to Chad Johnson you are a freaking moron, you would lose to Phelps by 20 seconds in a 50 meter race. Stop being an idiot.

The US has 14 gold medals, and 6 of them belong to Michael Phelps. The US has 44 overall medals, and 26 of them are swimming medals. Time to dominate in something else...

Track begins today. The people that know me know what I'll be doing the next ten days.

Am I the only one who finds himself rooting against the USA sometimes? I don't like being the New York Yankees of the olympics. I was actively rooting for Belgium to win the first set against Walsh/May to take 'em down a peg. Got pretty bummed when the Americans pulled it out. Maybe it's just 'cos I think the U.S. beach volleyball team is arrogant and ugly....

I wasn't necessarily rooting for them to lose, but I wanted to see BEL take set one, just to see USA sweat a bit. All they had to do was sideout. A nice comeback for the Americans, though.

Yes, they express confidence in themselves. But I guess it isn't bragging if you can do it.

The US has 14 gold medals, and 6 of them belong to Michael Phelps. The US has 44 overall medals, and 26 of them are swimming medals. Time to dominate in something else...

Just to point it out, Track and Field hasn't even started yet.

The U.S. has so many swimming medals because swimming gives away so many medals; that's one of the reasons that I don't buy into Phelps as the greatest Olympian ever (....no matter how good Michael Jordan was for the basketball team in Barcelona, they could only win one medal; ditto for May/Walsh-Treanor in '04 and '08). Given his performance thusfar, Phelps might still be the greatest (setting a record in just about every event), but the way the event is run gives him the opportunity to be that dominant.

Of the early events, the only place where the U.S. could rack up a number of medals in a different sport would have been diving.

Man, did anyone else see the James Blake/Fernando Gonzalez semi final match? There was a call that kind of screwed over Blake and he ended up losing the third set 11-9. Blake was up 9-8 and during Gonzalaz's service game Blake hit a forehand that glanced off the other guy's frame and went long, only the umpire didn't know it. Of course Gonzalez never said anything either though so he kind of seems like a weasel.

A hyperactive version of John Madden whose English skills are hard to understand at times. But extremely opinionated, which makes for interesting times, if you can understand him.

So you're saying they are exactly alike?

And to Chad Johnson you are a freaking moron, you would lose to Phelps by 20 seconds in a 50 meter race. Stop being an idiot.

And to ESPN, please stop sticking a camera in this guy's face... you are only contributing to the idiocy.

I didn't read the entire thread, but you know what bothers me...

People who want the basketball team to loose, just because they don't like the NBA and think they are all "thugs".

I don't like the NBA either, and I don't watch it. I like the college game.

But, that is still "USA" across their chests. Have some pride in your country.

Archived