Brewer Fanatic

Official Olympics Thread

gbpacker40
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who want to see it, NBC's website has video of the opening ceremony up, finally.
...with more deception than you can shake a CGI stick at!

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/11/1541249&from=rss

...while an uglier stick Cyranos out of sight...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_re_as/oly_china_lip_synched_song

...and NBC quietly alters realty and the fabric of time for good ol' Nielsen.

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/09/2231231&from=rss

And now even the little girl "singing" during the opening ceremony was lip-synching! Those silly communists......

Tough second for the women's gymnastic team. You'd have to think they'd have been better without two of their six team members injured.

(Since baseball is never on TV, that's the sport that I actually enjoy watching most during the games...I'll admit it.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I heart Alicia Sacramone - even though she pretty much sucked.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Did anyone else seem to be holding their breath during that race?? Crazy...

Definitely not the announcers. They were making comments like, it will be a close race for maybe the first 100 or 150 meters, but watch, Phelps will pull away and make look easy. I mean, they dropped the "He hasn't lost this race in the last 6 years", so you knew it was going to happen. It was awesome, and the relay was even more amazing to watch as the US team just blew away everyone else in the water.

What is really amazing about Michael Phelps is even the "big stars" are intrigued by him. I often heard that the NBA/Men's Basketball team has made the trek to the pool to check out Phelps in action.

I watched some of the Olympic coverage last night and they said that LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony watched some of Phelps meets this Olympics and was amazed by his athletic ability. I am kind of shocked that "prima donna" NBA-ers would be willing to watch swimming, let alone show respect for the sport.

Then I heard Carmelo and Michael Phelps started hanging out in the Olympic Village in between their competitions. I think its kind of cool to see some of our guys cross over and show support for their fellow Americans in other sports. Oh, and this is one of the few times I am rooting for the Williams sisters in tennis.

I am kind of disappointed in the women's gymnastics team though. I wanted them to win team gold because they had so many good stars and the media could not stop raving about Shawn Johnson potentially being the "next big thing" in Gymnastics.

I also came to the realization that rowing is seemingly boring to watch on TV and never thought it would be possible to prefer Badminton over any other sport to watch.

I heart Alicia Sacramone - even though she pretty much sucked.

Rough night for someone who's apparently normally one of the world's best. Stinks that she had her worst night on the biggest stage, but maybe she can medal in vault later this week. I guess at the least she'll have to be setttle for being a smoking-hot Ivy League student: she really looked like a woman amongst little girls out there (esp. those Chinese gals, who wouldn't look out of place on an elementary school playground).

Anyway, yeah, I stayed up for US-Nigeria and I'm paying for it now. I'd probably feel like less of a zombie today if the result had been better but I knew it was going to uphill when Orozco got the red card practically before the match even started. That injury time equalizer from the Dutch is going to stick in my craw for a while now...

Here's a video of Sacramone knocking a dude out with a left cross. I bet her boyfriend never cheats on her.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/randomthoughts/2008/05/09/this_why_you_dont_date/

EDIT: the site is not safe for work

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I always tell myself that I'm not interested in gymnastics, but toward the end of the team competition I'm at full attention. To bad about Sacramone not pulling her weight though.

Also, can't they just lower the age of admittance to compete in gymnastics so we don't have to constantly hear about how the Chinese girls forged their documentation, etc. Get rid of the controversy.

I would have mentioned Sacramone, who is in a class by herself in ALL aspects when it comes to Gymnastics, but didn't want to get this thread blocked. But I will agree with homer on all points about her.

But the Olympics is the one time Women's Gymnastics is considered a major sport. I'd say Gymnastics is up there with basketball, swimming and baseball when it comes to Major olympic competition. This is the one time for them to shine and make a name for themselves.

By the way, when does Individual medal competition for the sport begin?

And I really wish US Basketball would stop softly playing the game and not let up anymore. They need to blow out every team in order to regain respect. I will never forget 2004's bronze medal and their loss to Puerto Rico and Argentina with a bunch of so-called NBA All-Stars.

A new report has surfaced that one of the Gymnasts on the Chinese team is actually 13 years old. If this turns out to be true, the IOC needs to yank their Gold Medal fast. The girl is 13! That is blasphemous since they made the minimum age 16 now. Anyone think the IOC will remove their Gold and give it to us?

Anyone think the IOC will remove their Gold and give it to us?

until it surfaces that the chinese "women" took HGH or that all 1.6 billion people in china won't be buying products from any one of the corporate sponsors of the games, not a chance. i do believe if the games were being held anywhere but China the IOC or FIG would look into the age thing a little bit more. but you don't want to upset the host country (which also happens to the the most rapid growing economy in the world)...

even the olympics are driven by money... sadly...

even the olympics are driven by money... sadly...

Of course, which is why the athletes in these spotlight events (gymnastics, swimming, track) need to adjust and compete in the morning: so US audiences (at least those in the Eastern half) can watch live in prime time.

Phelps is just ridiculous. It didn't even look like the guy was trying.

There was a cool feature on Phelps before the race -- essentially "how the perfect swimmer is built". He's 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan, with size 14 feet and hands the size of dinner plates. They said his body isn't in proportion, either -- his legs are about as long as someone who's 6 feet tall, but he has the torso of someone who's about 6'8...I always thought his legs looked short, but I didn't know they were that short. They also said his knees and elbows are double-jointed.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Am I the only one who finds himself rooting against the USA sometimes? I don't like being the New York Yankees of the olympics. I was actively rooting for Belgium to win the first set against Walsh/May to take 'em down a peg. Got pretty bummed when the Americans pulled it out. Maybe it's just 'cos I think the U.S. beach volleyball team is arrogant and ugly....

EDIT: Greengrocer's apostrophe FTL

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Am I the only one who finds himself rooting against the USA sometimes? I don't like being the New York Yankees of the olympics. I was actively rooting for Belgium to win the first set against Walsh/May to take 'em down a peg. Got pretty bummed when the American's pulled it out. Maybe it's just 'cos I think the U.S. beach volleyball team is arrogant and ugly....

Yes...although you seem to be a contrarian by nature so this does not surprise me.

Archived