Brewer Fanatic

Official Olympics Thread

gbpacker40

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now watching the Opening Ceremony out on the West Coast... this is the single greatest Opening Ceremony I've ever seen. The 2,008 Tai-Chi performers were just jaw-dropping -- not that the rest of the cermony wasn't.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Agreed, I remember watching a few minutes of the Athens ceremony and being bored out of my mind, but this was pretty spectacular. The combination of sheer numbers and technological integration made for some spectacular sights. Congrats, China.

On the other hand, the shots of Beijing they showed on a local news segment about air quality were disgusting.

Is that team handball, Tuba? Someone predicted that it would "take off" after repeated airings of games and highlights in 1984, in LA, and it dropped off the radar as soon as the games were over. They showed it often, but I never really did figure out the rules. Much like cricket, it looks interesting, but I don't get it.

Is that team handball, Tuba? Someone predicted that it would "take off" after repeated airings of games and highlights in 1984, in LA, and it dropped off the radar as soon as the games were over. They showed it often, but I never really did figure out the rules. Much like cricket, it looks interesting, but I don't get it.

i watched a few minutes this morning...then looked up the rules online.

http://members.tripod.com/usadth/rules.html

cant take more than 3 steps without a dribble. fouls for physical play. ball blocked out of play by a goalie stays with the defending team. those seem to be the main rules.

i dont know if curling ever "took off" after the last olympics. fun to watch though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We used to play team handball in gym class and it's a blast. It's like soccer/lacrosse/and basketball. I was actually entertained watching the women play this afternoon - and surprisingly it was not because of their skin tight shorts.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Michael Phelps is freaking incredible. That's all.

Looking forward to watching USA blow out China in basketball tomorrow before the Brewer game. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I saw that too endaround? I think the announcers jinxed us saying that no one expected the US to advance, and then they were saying the USA was going to advance after two games. Granted, goals in the last minute aren't common, but now the US needs to win the final game to advance...

IIRC, we are 1-0-1, the Netherlands are 0-0-2, and Nigeria is 1-0-1. If we TIE Nigeria it might come down to goals. Since the announcers w ere saying we might be able to advance with a tie maybe we beat Japan by more than Nigeria?

That goal was actually HUGE for the Netherlands. If they lose, they are OUT, now they are all but a lock to advance.

Anyone else watching the men's basketball game against China? I despise the NBA and haven't watched Olympic hoops since the Dream Team in 1992, but this is actually pretty entertaining. It's very fast paced, people throw outlet passes here instead of walking it up and backing someone down. LeBron and Kobe have each had some pretty amazing fast break dunks and Wade looks like he's healthy again too.

Archived