Brewer Fanatic

Smelliest Smells that ever Smelled

InsomniacInkRoss

An earlier post tonight got me to thinking about this, what are the worst smells you have encountered

I would put rotten potatoes, watermelon, and onions on the top of my list having worked in produce. They would come in a box all mushed and rotton, awful.

There was some pretty bad smells hanging gutters too, gutters pitched badly and in the shade collecting leaves, that are wet 24/7

The reason for the post was my discovery that if you get something really sweaty, let it dry, don't wash it, and then heat it to 350 for 40-45 seconds, it smells AWFUL

I grew up on a dairy farm. Most of you that have seen the movie "City Slickers" will recall the scene where Billy Crystal helps to deliver a calf. I've done that quite a few times. It is actually a fairly accurate depiction of the process.

There are plenty of good smells on the farm. My favorite is a fresh cut alfalfa field. Sometimes you'll grind feed and the mixer mill will smell like a bowl of warm cereal. However, one of the worst is still burned in my mind and it occurred 17 years ago. My brother and I assisted with a delivery and the calf was dead. It had been dead for quite some time. It was so bad that the hog confinement two miles west of us closed down. I couldn't get the smell off my hands for a week.

Babies, some good, mostly bad.

Singed hair. A couple of friends and me lit hair on fire because we couldn't really believe it would smell that bad. Oops. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

oh man, i used to work in concessions at the zoo during college, and nothing was worse then opening up a bucket of sauerkraut for hot dogs. the smell of sauerkrat is awful, especially in large quantities.

i've also smelt other pretty terrible smells at the zoo (surprise surprise, right?). the penguins and the otters smell awful

For a time, my wife actually made me wash my feet each night before she would allow them into our bed.

I'm proud to say that with some rigorous scraping and spending a fair amount of the day not in shoes, I'm able to complete my nightly going-to-bed ritual without the requisite sitting up on the bathroom counter, my feet in the sink.

Besides that, I will say that anyone else's kid's dirty diaper is pretty horrifying.

Three years ago, some friends asked for our help with moving. They were being evicted and at first we had reason to assume that it was for nonpayment of rent.

Once we got there, we began to wonder if the eviction wasn't for the fully unholy stench coming out of the apartment. They had to have given up on litter box management for their cats at some point. Cat pee + cigarette smoke (and maybe other contributing sources; the first two were overwhelming and bad enough). Compounding this experience was that they hadn't finished packing yet, so they were discussing/arguing over how to finish the packing while the S.O. and I were standing there trying not to gag. I offered to clear out the storage cubicle, specifically because it was away from the smell.

It was a miserable day on multiple levels. I had a sore throat and whacked out sinuses for a couple of days afterward. That night, the S.O. woke me up and said, " I dreamed that the smell was back."

We still shudder when we go by that apartment complex; and I'm sorry to say that our friendship with these people was largely shot after that experience.

The dead things mentioned earlier in this thread probably trump everyone else's smelliest smells, but that is my worst experience to date.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My wife probably would say me after about an hour of playing basketball. Even with preventative measures it is pretty bad. I also grew up on a farm but when you grow up on one you are used to it. I never really noticed anything, it was always when we had visitors that the smell was brought up. As far as farm animals go I would say pigs are the smelliest and it really isn't close. Goat farts aren't exactly pleasant either

Microwaved Spaghettios. So gross

That's why you eat them cold, right out of the can.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

A few years back, my mom's dogs killed some unfortunate little animal in the backyard, bigger than a squirrel, about the size of a house cat. Too bad we didn't see it. It was underneath some bushes, lying there decomposing. It must have been there a few days, you could smell it when you turned on to my mom's street. By the time I was elected chairman of the removal committee, it was a dead bag of maggots. I just about threw up all over the place while I was scooping said bag into a shovel. Threw it in a big garbage bin and took it to the dump. Goodbye bag of maggots. Man that was horrible.

Gary, Indiana is one of the smelliest places I've ever been. But the worst has to be when I had to work for many months at the Jones Island Sewerage Treatment plant. It's especially ripe after a rainfall. After a day there, you, your car and everything smells like crap, literally. Brings back lovely memories whenever the wind comes off the lake, carrying that lovely aroma inland.

I'd have to say an AT thru-hiker has the nastiest smell--we're talking BO of the highest order. I wore the same clothes every single day for six straight months. The clothes got laundered every other week, but it did nothing. And it wasn't just armpit sweat, as hiking in the heat daily, I would sweat buckets--I would ring out my shirt at the end of the day. And there were times I'd go two weeks without a shower.

What's odd about it is that thru-hikers themselves rarely notice another hiker's smell, but townfolk certainly do. I remember eight of us walking into a restaurant (this was after a shower and laundry), and high schoolers on the other side of the restuarant were gagging from our smell.

The nastiest guy I heard about was someone who vowed not to take a shower until he got to Connecticut (the Trail starts in Georgia, about 1,400 miles back). He got to Erwin, TN (about 400 miles in) and even other thru-hikers wouldn't be around him. Despite washings, the cot he slept on had to be thrown away from the odor.

My old roomate decided to grill out the evening before he headed out of town for a week. I was out of town for the weekend and returned Monday (He was gone all week). To my surprise, instead of doing the dishes, he left them stacked up in the sink. He also decided to clean the grates to the grill, on top of all the dishes. So you have stinky grease water that sat there for 3 days. I walked into the house and something smelled, then lifted up the top plate and almost threw up. It was so stinky.

When I was in high school, I worked summers for a plumbing company. Naturally I got the worst jobs, like digging ditches and cleaning out plugged sewers (you don't want to know about the stuff I would pull out). The worst was a sewer that had backed up in the basement for an elderly couple, and they didn't know it for a few days since they rarely went downstairs. Of course it was 95 degrees and no AC. The basement was carpeted to boot, and there was an inch or two of sewer throughout the basement that had been there for three days. Luckily after I had it unplugged, I was able to leave. I feel bad for whoever cleaned out that basement.

A deceased body not discovered for 4 1/2 days has to top my list.
I second that as being the worst. Nothing is even close.

i was half-surprised that we'd have even one person on this board who'd have the job to know that smell. go figure there's a second person on here.

I worked at KFC in high school , always looked forward to cleaning the grease trap once a week. The best part was carrying the buckets of slop and having it spill on your clothes. Chicks dig a guy in polyester who smells like a grease trap, wearing a paper hat and a name tag.

The smell of cooking/burning onions in cider vinegar is up there for me too.

i was half-surprised that we'd have even one person on this board who'd have the job to know that smell. go figure there's a second person on here.

Mine was not job related but the dude living in the apt. below me drank his bad liver to death and wasn't found for about a week. And it took at least another week for the smell in the hallway to go away.

Archived