Brewer Fanatic

Favorite places you've been to

NeedMoreFans

I hear you, bullox, about landing in Vegas. Whenever we do, the plane just lights up with people getting excited while the wife and I are thankful that now we can get in our car and drive 2 hours to home. It's no big deal at all to us.

Not surprised at all that my wife put here choices down. I've nearly lost count of how many times in 8 years of marriage we've gone up to Estes Park, CO and the Rocky Mtn. National Park.

I also love Moab, UT and Arches National Park.

Went to Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway in college. LOVED it. The bobsled track in Lillehammer was awesome to ride on. If you ever get a chance (Vancouver, Salt Lake City, any other Winter Olympic site) see if they offer rides on the bobsled track (winter or summer).

I enjoyed San Antonio.

I always enjoy every trip to God's Country, er, Wisconsin.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to San Francisco last spring break and had a blast. What an awesome city. You can't beat going up to Alaska in late July/early August. Especially if you enjoy fishing and camping (the salmon are running). Anchorage is a very cool city with lots of awesome scenery. Also, the gulf coast (Mobile especially) is a lot of fun.

I loved everything I saw in Ireland, but the west coast in particular was gorgeous. Galway is surrounded by some of the most beautiful coastal areas I've ever seen. And Dublin is great.

In the states I loved Nashville as far as cities go. The Broadway area is a blast if you're into real deal country music. Other than that, any lake or river in Northern Wisconsin is great.

In 10 days, 3 hours, and 10 minutes, my wife and I are heading to Hawaii, which is probably our favorite place, and bringing along our children. First time for the kids--should be interesting.

edit: 10 days, 3 hours, and 8 minutes. I type slowly.

Most of my choices have been mentioned already.

Ireland - The whole country in beautiful and the people are very friendly.

Mackinac Island - Waking up to the sound of horses and no cars. Sitting on a front porch of a hotel before the crowds arrive is so peaceful.

Yellowstone and Niagra Falls - Natural wonders

Walt Disney World - Yes, I'm a Disney nut. I wish I could afford to stay at the Polynesian Resort every time we go. We stayed there for our Honeymoon.

San Antonio - The Riverwalk is awesome.

Vancouver - Very international city with lots of great food.

Boundary Waters MN - Just you, a pack and a conoe in some very beautiful country.

Hey Blatz don't miss that trip to the South Pacific.

1) My two week land/cruise to the Tahitian Islands was the absolutely top of my long list of travels. 10 day cruise sandwiched between 3 nights on Moorea and 2 nights on Bora Bora in an overwater hut. But it ain't cheap; I think the 5 nights on land cost more than the 10 day cruise but it was all mos definitely worth it.

2) Grand Canyon/Colorado River raft trip 6 nights of (believe it or not) being pampered by the river guides but enjoying the great outdoors at the same time (sleeping under the stars every night.)

3) Cruising - doesn't matter where

4) Cancun - go there every January

5) New Orleans - but please no more than 3 nights at a time at 5 years apart

6) Ireland - There's a reason why it's called the Emerald Isle. They mow lawns 300 days a year.

7) Hawaii - Been to Oahu and Maui - need to get back to see Big Island and Kauai

8) Greek Isles - One of my cruises - nice beaches!!!

9) Alaska - also one of my cruises, but the land package was unbelievable.

10a) California wine country - Even people from Beer City should love this

10b) California Highway 1 - OMG nerves of steel necessary to drive this but what views!

10c) San Francisco - Just a great city to have fun in - 1 time I spent 3 hours on a connection at SFO and had a great time.

10d) California Monterey peninsula - If you love golf, they're not all as expensive as Pebble and Spyglass

One final note I also have spent 2 weeks+ in Spain and Portugal which was fabulous for a week and a half but it didn't make my top ten because that last half week started on September 11, 2001. Kind of detracted from the pleasure of the trip.

Krakow, Poland was really awesome--get the Ococim beer.

rural Hungary I liked, sunshine and fields and fields of sunflowers.

for natural beauty, the 42-mile hike through the Presidential range in the White Mountains of NH can't be beat.

I lived in New Orleans for 6 years - it's great for so many more things than Bourbon Street and getting wasted. Travel outside the city - the nearby Cajun Country is like another world. The plantations on River Road are SO cool. The Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula is like an hour away and a great time.

The eating in New Orleans is better than ANYWHERE I've been. The DDay Museum is spectacular.

I'm not a "sit still, do nothing" vacation person, so I'm a big fan of places that have "stuff" to do.

We spent 10 days in Ireland, driving almost the whole country and it was breathtaking and fun and just the best time I've ever spent. I'll second the Galway suggestion. There's a place just outside Dublin called Glendalough that's a 6th century monastic settlement that is nestled in the Wicklow Mtns - indescribable. There's a nearby site called Powerscourt with a Falls and an Estate and that area was the best free, bang for your buck area.

Cork is awesome.

I also love Boston and Puerto Rico. Driving around Puerto Rico was so much fun. Get out of San Juan. The beach at Luquillo is see through and gorgeous and there are people riding horses on the beach and there's rainforest across the street.

My parents' 40 acres near Florence, WI.

Besides that...

Disney World -- it was even better when we took the kiddies. It was a lot of fun!

Ft. Myers Beach -- swimmin' with the dolphins last time we were on the beach. It helps having relatives near there! Sometimes it gets really crowded, though.

Royal Gorge in Colorado -- Mrs. Samurai and I went there before we had kiddies. The rafting was great.

On a side note: when we went to Colorado, we had front row tickets down the right field line for a Rockies game in Mile High. Well, the strike occurred three days before the game. Jerks! ;-)

San Francisco is an awesome city, but the weather is not for me. I was just there in June.

Sorry I couldn't have given you the heads up...the traditional summer months are some of the worst times to be here. On my side of town, closer to the Pacific on the other side of the fog line, we sometimes don't see the sun for a couple days because of the marine layer.

Best time to visit San Francisco (Northern California in general) is March-May--so green and florid after rainy season and blue skies abound. Next best is September through November. December's OK and January/February are rainy.

I agree about New Orleans being so much more than Bourbon Street, too...I actively try to avoid the place excpet for maybe one night a trip. Nothing like an afternoon with some beers and music at the Rock N' Bowl or dinner at Bayona in the Quarter or walking through the old oaks in City Park or a drive in the surrounding rural areas while listening to WWOZ.

There's a place just outside Dublin called Glendalough that's a 6th century monastic settlement that is nestled in the Wicklow Mtns - indescribable.

I'll second that. It was amazing. Also, to the north of Dublin is Newgrange, which they call the world's oldest building. Pretty amazing. There could be a whole thread on all the awesome stuff to see and do in Ireland.

San Antonio - The Riverwalk is awesome.

There is much more than the riverwalk, although there is lots to do there. The first thing I thought when I went to the riverwalk the first time was, wow, the sidewalks are a lot narrower than I thought. You can very easily fall in the river, if you're not careful (or drunk). But you can go tour the Alamo (which is actually quite interesting), tour the missions of San Antonio, Sea World, and Six Flags as well. And food wise, there's a lot of great choices of local BBQ places, Tex-Mex places, and any kind of food.

ST. Croix, Virgin Islands

Beer drinking pigs and the eastern most point in the US. Rum factory(Cruzan Rum), 190 proof rum tastes like rubbing alcohol. Botanical gardens on an old sugar cane plantation. Largest underwater national monument, Buck Island.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There's a market in Cork - it's open air, but there's like a roof on it - so not indoor, not outdoor - and we ate better there than I have anywhere else in the world. From there we walked to St. Fin Barre's Cathedral, which was awesome. There's just so much packed into such a small area there.

There is much more than the riverwalk, although there is lots to do there. The first thing I thought when I went to the riverwalk the first time was, wow, the sidewalks are a lot narrower than I thought. You can very easily fall in the river, if you're not careful (or drunk). But you can go tour the Alamo (which is actually quite interesting), tour the missions of San Antonio, Sea World, and Six Flags as well. And food wise, there's a lot of great choices of local BBQ places, Tex-Mex places, and any kind of food.
The riverwalk being so narrow and intimate, along with it being below the street level are what make it so cool. Contrasted with the Milwaukee river which is very wide and requires crossing streets to follow the river walk.

And yes, we did all of those other things in San Antonio. There is a lot to see.

Seriously, I live in Omro again...did you forget about the blue? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I drive through Omro a couple times a year, and man... I miss it more each time! I have many fond Omro memories... that pizza place where Highway 21 turns and goes over the river and the cheese shop across the street, the gun shop that my sister's ex-husband's father owned that no longer exists across from that shady looking motel and club on the east side of town, Club Omreau, fireworks on the 4th of July that were being set off by obviously drunk technicians, and the Kwik Trip. Plus, proximity to Oshkosh, Winneconne, Zion and Redgranite!

Archived