Brewer Fanatic

Cards Vs. Cubs: Who Should We Root For?

jjgott
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***I'm a Brewers fan, not an anti-Cub fan.***

In my mind the two go hand in hand. Just like a Red Sox fan is an anti-Yankee fan or a Packer fan is an anti-Vicking fan. Obviously it's not 100% all the time, but it's a strong majority.

***If the Cubs winning is good for the Brewers, how could you not be for it?***

If it is an absolute fact that it would be good for the Brewers (i.e. last week of the season), I can't say I would be against it, but there is no way in hell I'm actually rooting for the Cubs to win. The fact that it was the Cubs that helped the Brewers would also take some of the joy away for me as well.

***And why is it that the Cubs are "evil"? They're a baseball franchise.***

Of course I don't mean the Cubs franchise is literally evil (although I do wonder about some of their fans). It's no different than referring to the Yankees as the Evil Empire. But the Brewers/Cubs rivalry is more than just two franchises. It's a natural geographical rivalry between the metro areas of Milwaukee and Chicago as well as the states of WI and Il. It's a rivalry of classes as well, as the Milwaukee area tends to be more blue collar and rural while Chicago is a more affluent area and metropolitan.

I don't want to hijack this thread on the Brewers/Cubs rivalry but I will explain my feelings as similar to many individuals I've encountered over the years. The Brewer fans care much more about the rivalry than Cubs fans. Milwaukee has always felt like the over looked little brother to Chicago and that rubs off on the fan base. Chicagoans and Cubs fans are seen as condescending and well-to-do which is the opposite image of Milwaukee and Brewer fans. As someone who grew up in the Milwaukee area and now lives in Madison, I see this very clearly in coming back home. So my point is that the Cubs are not evil, but the team is literally hated, along with their fans, by many individuals that feel the same way I do. It's not just a Brewers/Cubs thing, it's a regional pride issue as well, right or wrong. That's why rooting for the Cubs, to me, feels so absolutely wrong even if a win would hep the Brewers.

but how many of you that said you would root for the Cubs go to the Brewers/Cubs games at Miller park each year? Maybe that will explain some things.

I go to many of those games. I really hate the Cubs -- I think they're a rather pathetic franchise (as a Brewer fan, I really shouldn't be talking). But clearly, they're a really good team. They have a 5 game advantage in the standings. I'd rather have them destroy St. Louis, solidifying the Brewers' playoff position.

And it's not like I'm rooting for them. I'm a casual observer of this series. It won't ruin my day if the Cubs lose.

And yount19, I definitely feel the same sentiments regarding the Cubs fans' attitude towards Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Brewers. Heck, at one of the games last week, I saw a Cubs fan wearing a shirt that said: "Brewer fans: sausage races don't win pennants!" I know, that's a joke, considering the Chicago Cubs haven't been to the World Series since the end of World War II. But that's the general smugness exuded by many of their fans. It makes me sick -- but I'm a Brewer fan before I'm an anti-Cub fan. And that means I want them to make the playoffs more than anything -- even if that means that Cubs fans can wallow in glory because they won a few games over St Louis.

If there were two weeks left in the season with how the standings currently are, obviously I'm rooting for the Cubs against the Cardinals. Since there are still nearly 2 months left in the season, consider me an impartial yet interested observer.

The fact is unless the Brewers take care of their own business, which includes at least holding their own in the 6 Cub games they have left on their schedule, they're not making the playoffs regardless of what happens between the Cubs and Cards this weekend.

I'm no statistical expert, but at this point in the season I'd still much rather be close to getting into the playoffs via 2 ways instead of one - so, I'd much rather maintain contact with the division-leading Cubs and keep a slight lead for the wildcard than watch the Cubs run away with the division and hope none of the other 3 potential wildcard contenders get hot and overtakes the Brewers.

Marlins are off the Brewers' schedule, only 2 games left against the Cards, 3 against the Mets...6 against the Cubs. I know the Cubs wiped the floor with the Brewers last week, but they're the one team the Brewers could make up alot of ground on by playing them head to head the rest of this season. If the Brewers are trailing the Cubs by 3-4 games going into September with how the schedules progress, I like their chances, both for the wildcard and potentially deciding the division during the last two weeks of the season.

I'm in no way a Cubs fan, but for those saying it's wrong for a Brewers fan to root for the Cubs over the Cardinals, who was it that beat us in the '82 World Series?

As far as the vote, I'd say a split series would be great if we can sweep Washington, so we'd gain ground on both teams. Since sweeping anyone (even Washington) is a tall order, I'd rather see the Cubs beat the Cards, helping us hold onto our current lead in the Wild Card race. Either way, I can't see myself actively rooting for either team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I want the Cubs to lose every game this weekend.

And every game the following week.

And all the games until the end of the season.

For eternity.

Still not enough loosing. I am rooting for them to go back and take away wins as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If the Brewers don't make the playoffs, its their own fault, not because other teams failed to "help them in". I can't explain it to myself rationally, but my vitriolic hatred for the Cubs goes beyond anything that I've ever felt; even for the Vikings or Bears... and I'm 31! I should be too old for that kind of loathing. Of course, I hate the Cardinals, too, but that hate is more of an intense dislike. Nothing compared to that dark part of my soul which is set aside solely, for the Chicago Cubs.

I'll be hoping the Cubs and Brewers win every game this weekend to bury the Cards. I don't trust the Marlins to take care of the Cards, considering how bad the Marlins' pitching is. I'll refrain from actually watching any Cards/Cubs games this weekend, though, because if I have to hear Len Kasper lose his mind on every base hit by the Cubs, I might have to switch to rooting for the Cards.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

As difficult as it would be I say root for the Cubs. If STL could get swept which I think is indeed possible, and if the Crew takes care of business you are looking at more comfort for the WC. I would rather have that at this point. We still have 7 games with the Cubs so we can still control our own destiny for the division if we take care of business there. We don't face the Cards much more so I would rather see them lose as much as possible at this point.

It's a rivalry of classes as well, as the Milwaukee area tends to be more blue collar and rural while Chicago is a more affluent area and metropolitan.

I would love to see you justify this completely ridiculous statement with real data.

I say you root Cubs. The Brewers have such a small chance of catching the Cubs for the division, so why worry about them or their lead. If the Cubs can knock off the Cardinals, thats one less team to worry about in the playoff chase.

MLB Standings

Looking at the X W-L, clearly the Cardinals are the Brewers rival for a playoff spot. I wish the Cubs to take at least two, better three. Milwaukee can open it up a bit with a good weekend.

And remember last week Cards fans were rooting for Chicago, so don't feel bad about returning the favor.

It's a rivalry of classes as well, as the Milwaukee area tends to be more blue collar and rural while Chicago is a more affluent area and metropolitan.

I would love to see you justify this completely ridiculous statement with real data.

I hope yount19 doesn't mind me speaking for him in this instance, but here is some "real data." Take it for what it's worth.

This is data from the 2000 census found on FreeDemographics.com. Note, this is only the actual cities, and does not include the suburbs, which would likely trend to higher income levels.

Avg. Income: Chicago $54,200, Milwaukee $40,894 (Chicago 33% higher)

Median Income: Chicago $38,797, Milwaukee $32,562 (Chicago 19% higher)

% of households income $100,000+: Chicago 11.65%, Milwaukee 4.72%

% of households income between $10,000 & $40,000: Chicago 37.61%, Milwaukee 46.14%

College (any): Chicago 48.80%, Milwaukee 44.66%

At least High School Grad: Chicago 71.82%, Milwaukee 74.82%

This does not distinguish between "Blue collar" and Professional / Management (Blue collar and affluent aren't opposites, as I know plenty of blue collar workers who are affluent and plenty of professional employees who have negative net worth), but it does show that both average and the more important median income are higher in Chicago (did you really doubt that, Team Canada?). Plus, a higher percentage of the workforce is "high income" in Chicago while a lower percentage of the work force is "low income." I kept the $0-$10,000 bracket out, as that would generally be working teenagers, college student and seniors or habitually unemployed individuals. For the record those numbers are 13.76% for Chicago and 14.07% for Milwaukee.

All in all, yount19's statement is not "ridiculous," as Milwaukee does "tend to be more blue collar," while Chicago seems to be "more affluent." Both areas are cities surrounded by many, many miles of farmland, so the "more rural" statement could be debated, but I personally don't see rural as a bad thing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I say you root Cubs. The Brewers have such a small chance of catching the Cubs for the division, so why worry about them or their lead. If the Cubs can knock off the Cardinals, thats one less team to worry about in the playoff chase.

This is true. It's exceedingly hard to separate the utter loathing I have for all things Cubs, but I shall do my best. Maybe I can trick myself into believing that all I'm doing is rooting for the Cards to lose, and nothing more.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived