Brewer Fanatic

Cards Vs. Cubs: Who Should We Root For?

jjgott
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your primary goal is wanting to see the Brewers make the playoffs and have a chance at a world series, you have to want the cubs to win. We do not need to win the division to make the playoffs. IMO at this point we are much more likely to make the playoffs by the wildcard. The cubs are a very good team and have 5 games on us. I know anything can happen, but I definetly like the cubs chances of finishing in front of us. The brewers team has some definite holes (bullpen, hitting with RISP, and ability to play small ball), I do not think we catch the cubs. That said, I think we can hold on to the wild card assuming no other team goes on a ridiculous win streak.

I'll be cheering hard for the Cards to sweep this weekend. I'll also be cheering hard for the Mets to take 2 of 3 from the Marlins. Then next week, I'll be cheering for the Marlins to take 3 of 4 from the Cards. That would mean both the Marlins and Cards would go 4-3 in that time, with the Mets probably going 5-2. That HOPEFULLY gives us a 2-4 game lead on those 3 teams... depending on what happens with the games tonight and tomorrow.

There are so many variables with the sheer number of games left that I can't really root for any of the teams. Ask me again in a month. This weekend I'll cheer for the Rays.

Off topic alert, but you must have like the 9th inning today with Gross and Pena coming through with big HRs.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't bring myself to ever root for the Cubs. I'll just pretend they're playing some other team and then check the standings on Sunday night.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think the Cubs sweeping helps our chances the most. I'm just going to stay neutral most likely though generally once I actually start watching the games I end up cheering against the Cubs just out of habit.

Community Moderator

Even if we go 2-2 against Washington, we essentially are right back where we started. Nothing is going to be decided in the next 5 days, even if some sweeps go down. The best that can happen is that we gain a game or two, the worst is that we lose a game or two. It doesn't have a major impact on the long term since we aren't playing either team.

As for which team to root for, I've believed since the start of the year that the Cubs are more talented than the Brewers (except those rare times when emotions get the better of me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif). Thus, as more games are played, I would expect that the Cubs would be more and more likely to gain ground on the rest of the division. I am supported by our 11% chance of winning the division (even when we were tied it was only 43%). Thus, unless we are planning on our slim chance of winning the division of coming true, it is much better for the Cubs to help us by systematically beating all of our Wild Card rivals.

Even if we go 2-2 against Washington, we essentially are right back where we started. Nothing is going to be decided in the next 5 days, even if some sweeps go down. The best that can happen is that we gain a game or two, the worst is that we lose a game or two. It doesn't have a major impact on the long term since we aren't playing either team.

As for which team to root for, I've believed since the start of the year that the Cubs are more talented than the Brewers (except those rare times when emotions get the better of me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif). Thus, as more games are played, I would expect that the Cubs would be more and more likely to gain ground on the rest of the division. I am supported by our 11% chance of winning the division (even when we were tied it was only 43%). Thus, unless we are planning on our slim chance of winning the division of coming true, it is much better for the Cubs to help us by systematically beating all of our Wild Card rivals.

I dunno if I agree that the Cubs are more talented, if it is true it is still relatively close. If Harden goes down(I assume he will) I like our chances for sure in a 7 game series though, I do not fear a matchup against the Cubs anymore than any other matchup in the playoffs unless Harden stays healthy. Just getting to the playoffs is the key so for my money the cubs sweeping is the better option.

I can't believe the amount of so-called Brewer fans posting that they will root for the Cubs. Even if it were the last week of the season and the Brewers absolutely needed the Cubs to win in order to get into the playoffs, I don't think I could do it. It just feels dirty rooting for that team -- like you've sold your soul. I can understand being impartial to the whole situation given the circumstances, but actually cheering for a Cubs victory is just wrong on so many levels. Even if it does help the Brewers in the long run, I just cannot see how Brewer fans can root for a team that represents nearly all that is evil inside Brewer Nation. Every chance we have as Brewer fans to bask in the misery of Cubs fans should be savored, and their winning should be detested. Obviously my hatred of the Cubs runs deeper than many who have posted here, but how many of you that said you would root for the Cubs go to the Brewers/Cubs games at Miller park each year? Maybe that will explain some things.

I want the Cubs to lose two outta three, and the Brewers sweep all four against the Nats. I hate playing for the wild card. And I'd love nothing more than return last year's favor. But objectively, I know I gotta root for the Cubs. It's like rooting for Stalin against Hitler--great feeling.

Archived