Brewer Fanatic

Cards Vs. Cubs: Who Should We Root For?

jjgott
So the Cubs and Cards are facing each other this weekend. Should we be rooting for the Cards to bring the division closer to reach, or should we be rooting for the Cubs to put more distance between us and the Cards in the WC race?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Natural Disaster

2) Not sure it matters at this point. This weekend our prime competition will be playing .500 ball in total. Cubs/Cards & Marlins/Mets. We will play the worst team in the NL at home. If we take care of business, we'll catch up or put some distance between ourselves and the pack.

3) If push comes to shove...I'll root against the Cubs. This is purely an emotional response driven by my undying hatred of that team and their fans.

Go Cubbies. The Cardinals are closer to us in the standings right nowand they are standing in the way of our first playoff berth since before I was born. We can make the playoffs if we are behind the Cubs, we can't if we are behind the Cards

I'd rather have a chance at securing one of 2 playoff opportunities than have to throw all the eggs in the wild card basket - especially when there's other teams from other divisions that come into play. As long as there's this much baseball left to be played, I want to be close to the division lead. It's still too early to give up on winning the division.

Go Cards, but honestly, I'm good with any outcome aside from either team sweeping the other. If the Brewers can both gain on the Cubs and expand their lead on the Cardinals without playing either, I'm all for it. The best and most important thing would be for the Brewers to take care of business against the Nationals and pick up games on all teams concerned (cubs play cards, mets play marlins this weekend)

I'm rooting for 3 multi-extra inning games between the two teams, with both bullpens being overused to the extreme and several key players being lost to the disabled list for extended periods of time.

Okay, so this would be a "best-case" scenario from the Cubs and Cardinals. I would expect, however, that both teams will battle with each team taking a game and Sunday is the rubber match which could go either way.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Cards sweep and the Brewers take 2 of 3. The odds of the Brewers finishing tied or ahead of the Cubs increases from around 16% to 22 or 23%. Of course, that increases the odds of the Cards winning the division or wildard. I suspect (didn't sim the whole league) that the above scenario would actually lower the Brewers' chances of a post season appearance.

Go Cubs.

I don't care either way.

The Brewers just have to take care of their own business and they'll be in the playoffs.

That's the big point here. The Brewers have the kind of schedule for the rest of the season that if they take care of business until the last weekend, they might actually have a lead over the Cubs for the division title. That being said, I still love seeing the Cubs lose, so I'll be a Cards fan this weekend.

I am rooting for a Cardinals sweep. We control our own destiny, so why not get closer to the division lead.

The road to the World Series will be much easier if we win the division. Will people really care or remember that we made the playoffs in 2008 if we go to Philly or New York and get swept?

Cards sweep and the Brewers take 2 of 3. The odds of the Brewers finishing tied or ahead of the Cubs increases from around 16% to 22 or 23%. Of course, that increases the odds of the Cards winning the division or wildard. I suspect (didn't sim the whole league) that the above scenario would actually lower the Brewers' chances of a post season appearance.

Go Cubs.

But what happens if the Brewers win the 4th game in the Washington series? What then? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It probably doesn't matter with 47 games to go, but I would like to see the Cubs hold serve and win 2 out of 3. If that happens, the Brewers probably won't lose any ground to the Cubs and will probably gain on the Cards.

Gaining on the Cubs while they eat through these home games is important, but at the same time, I don't really want to be in 3rd at any time either.

No doubt. Go Cubs Go.

The Brewers have three games this weekend at home versus the worst team in baseball. If the Cubs can sweep, which is unlikely, the Brewers can pad their lead. I hate the Cubs, but I want to make the road to the playoffs as easy as possible.

I know it's better for the Brewers if the Cubs sweep, but man is that hard to root for. Every fiber of my being wants the Cubs to lose every game they ever play for the rest of my life, but the reality is that we need to ensure the playoff berth more than we need a bigger chance at winning the division.

...Go Cu... I can't do it.

i can't believe most of you are just conceding the division with two months left to play. as july showed us, anything can happen. the cubs won't be hot for the rest of the season. we will have a chance to close the gap. we are five games back, with 6 to play against the cubs.

So, if the Cards sweep the Cubs and both the Brewers and Cardinals are 2-3 games back, people on this site won't be happy?

I'll be happy as long as the Brewers don't slip out of owning a playoff spot. Right now, they do.

"i can't believe most of you are just conceding the division with two months left to play. as july showed us, anything can happen. the cubs won't be hot for the rest of the season. we will have a chance to close the gap. we are five games back, with 6 to play against the cubs."

I don't know if it's conceding the division, but this is more about assuring a playoff spot (which is WAY WAY WAY more important than winning the division). Best case, they both lose by going extra innings in every game in slugfests.

EDIT: Personally, I really don't care what happens in the Cubs-Cards series as long as we win. If we don't then I definitely want the Cubs to win.

We control our own destiny

In the strict sense that if we win the rest of our games, we'll get into the playoffs for sure. I suppose that's true.

However barring that, each team left in the playoff chase has between 47-50 games left. I think that somewhere in there, we're going to need some help from other teams (or misfortune of other teams) in order to get into the playoffs.

There are so many variables with the sheer number of games left that I can't really root for any of the teams. Ask me again in a month. This weekend I'll cheer for the Rays.

Go... Brewers!

Archived