Brewer Fanatic

Skydiving

eanelson4

Anybody here been skydiving? I am planning on going next Thursday and just wanted to see what kind of experiences people have had. I love a good rush and am positive this is something that I will love.

After I go, I'll make sure to give you the updates on how it went and what I thought of it.

I've done it! It's tough to put into words...but I'll give it a shot. Your brain will scream at you when that door opens. It's a crazy feeling to tell it (your head) to shut the hell up and jump anyways. The freefall is ridiculously cold. It will take forever for your instructor to pull the cord even though in reality it's only 60 seconds or so. When the canopy opens you'll feel the sweetest relief of your life. I loved that part about as much as the actual jump. Enjoy those few minutes as you return to the ground as it's about the quietest you'll ever hear the world.

I loved it. I did however, have about a 3 week case of vertigo (mild) aftewards. I'm pretty sure my equilibrium was messed up after the jump.

Have fun and make sure you get it filmed. It's worth it.

I think we had a similar thread not so long ago?

I've done it and I recommend everyone do it... it's an experience you'll never forget...

Oops, sorry, didn't realize there was another thread.

I thought about getting it filmed, however it is $95. The jump itself is $175 I believe. That just seems like way to much for a film I'll probably only watch 2 times.

Oh, and Ray, I'm getting the feeling like this wasn't a good experience for you. Is that correct?

Absolutely do it, and absolutely get it filmed. If you're only going to do it once anyway, may as well go all out. I went with a buddy about 10 years ago and he's always regretted not getting it filmed.

Weird experience. From up there, the ground doesn't even look real - and the free fall felt more like you were floating than falling b/c of all the wind rushing up. That was definitely my favorite part.

I started a similiar thread about a year ago:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=2620

Here's my response after I jumped:

I posted on here about a month ago that I would be going skydiving. (The thread dropped off.) Well I went and it was unbelievable. I encourage everyone to do it, no matter how much you are scared of heights. Simply terrifying, and I loved every second.

I went through AtmosphAir, in Ft. Atkinson. The training went by pretty quickly, probably a 1/2 hour. I got a dvd with my package, and if anyone decides to do this, please get the dvd - it's great (the cost was $80). They got me suiting up, in the plane, and jumping out/landing (the camera was on my tandem partner's wrist). Five of us crammed in this little plane, and off we went to 12,500 ft. When we were half way up, I saw the clouds at my level and that's when I started to get scared.

I then had to sit on my ankles so my partner and I could link up. The door opened and the first coupld zoomed out. It's not like the movies where if the door opens you'll just be sucked out. We then moved over to the edge of the door. It was much cooler and I was simply terrified just seeing clouds and barely the earth. I then had to put my leg on the wing and grab my shoulder straps. My leg, btw, was swinging in the air, but I did get it steady. We then fell out, and what a rush!

Freefall was 1 minute, and then we glided down 5 minutes or so. The tandem partner also let me steer the parachute! The landing was great, we definitely came in quicker then I expected. And people are right when they say you'll never look the same way at the sky.

My opinion doesn't change. It was awesome, and I can't wait until I do it again. And spend the money to get it taped!

Oh, and Ray, I'm getting the feeling like this wasn't a good experience for you. Is that correct?

No, I loved it... I seriously recommend everyone do it once...

If you're referring to this part from my post from last year, I think it's just poor timing and not anything that would deter me from doing it again:

HERE'S WHERE YOU SHOULD STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT A BUZZKILL:

I moved to Rhode Island about two weeks after the jump. Stayed there for 10 months while she finished up school. Her dad sent us a clipping a few weeks later: The place that we jumped from was shut down a few weeks later because they had three deaths within the span of about two weeks.

So if someone wants to take you skydiving in Ottawa, Illinois - don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did end up going yesterday. As I figured, it was amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it to anybody thinking about it. I did a tandem jump from ~11-13000 feet. We had about 60 seconds of freefall with a 5 minute parachute ride down.

I didn't end up getting the video, it was just too much. They charge $95 for the video, and I paid $179 for the jump itself. I figure if I want a video fo it that bad, I'll just have to do it again http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

But yeah, it was fantastic. The rush of freefall was unreal, followed by the extremely peaceful parachute ride. Everybody should try this at least once.

Well I did end up going yesterday. As I figured, it was amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it to anybody thinking about it. I did a tandem jump from ~11-13000 feet. We had about 60 seconds of freefall with a 5 minute parachute ride down.

I didn't end up getting the video, it was just too much. They charge $95 for the video, and I paid $179 for the jump itself. I figure if I want a video fo it that bad, I'll just have to do it again http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

But yeah, it was fantastic. The rush of freefall was unreal, followed by the extremely peaceful parachute ride. Everybody should try this at least once.

Glad to hear you had a great time!

I went to a place called "Skydive Twin Cities" which is ironic because it is actually in Wisconsin (whew).

They are located about 30 minutes east of the twin cities (just outside of Baldwin, Wisconsin). Their website is:\

www.skydivetwincities.com

Their claim to fame is that its the closest place to skydive from the metro area. All that aside, I had a pleasant time and the place was packed, so you can watch other skydivers come down in the groups before/after you, which is always fun.

Archived