Brewer Fanatic

4 More Years For Dan Haren

Minigoon

Diamondbacks lock up Dan Haren through 2012. Seems like a favorable deal for the Diamondbacks.

D-Backs sign Haren through 2012

by Nick Piecoro - Aug. 5, 2008 02:37 PM

The Arizona Republic

The Diamondbacks and right-hander Dan Haren have agreed to a $44.75 million contract extension that runs through 2012 and includes a club option for 2013, a deal that will be announced today at a 3 p.m. news conference at Chase Field.

The contract, which nullifies Haren's previous deal, is worth $41.25 million over the next four seasons and includes a $15.5 million option for 2013 with a $3.5 million buyout.

Haren will be paid $7.5 million in 2009, $8.25 million in '10, $12.75 million in '11 and $12.75 million in '12.

Haren's previous deal, which he signed with Oakland in September 2005, called for a salary of $5.5 million in 2009 with a $6.75 million option for 2010.

Haren has pitched well enough to be a Cy Young candidate in the National League, going 12-5 with a 2.75 ERA through 23 starts. He has the majors' best strikeout to walk ratio and the fewest baserunners allowed per nine innings, and his ERA ranks sixth.

The Diamondbacks acquired him as the centerpiece of an eight-player trade with Oakland in December.

Well, they got him for less than CoCo money. Meethinks the wage for starters who don't blow off thier own foot will be going up and up and up. We're paying Suppan 10mil a year to basically not be a failure. Heck, we are paying Gagne 10 mil to BE one. Such is the insane market for pitching. I throw 68 miles an hour and my 2 year old can't hit my junk; that should be worth at least the minimum.

I throw 68 miles an hour and my 2 year old can't hit my junk; that should be worth at least the minimum.

OK, but is your child a lefty or a righty? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Honestly, if I was Haren, I would have just opted for FA at the end of next year. He would have been in his prime, and with another good year would have probably pushed 18M per year. But hey, it's hard to turn down money now though. Every pitcher's just a torn rotator cuff away from being out of baseball.

OK, but is your child a lefty or a righty? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I feel this is only relevant if we're discussing pitching arm.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Honestly, if I was Haren, I would have just opted for FA at the end of next year. He would have been in his prime, and with another good year would have probably pushed 18M per year. But hey, it's hard to turn down money now though. Every pitcher's just a torn rotator cuff away from being out of baseball.

I agree with this and what Ryan Braun had to say. He said his agent showed him some numbers about what he *could* make if he didn't sign now and waited it out. And yeah, the numbers were bigger. But he looked at the probably 50 million he's getting no matter what happens now from the Brewers and said "What can't I buy with that much money?". It's the best approach IMO. Why be greedy? I'm not saying be had by the owners but you have to take your current situation into consideration.

If you're worth nothing and someone offers you 50 million guaranteed or you could wait a few years and maybe 80 million...what's better? I'd say going from 0-50,000,000. is much more dramatic than going from 50,000,000 -> 80,000,000.

I believe Fielder has made a mistake in waiting it out. But then they ahd a different situation since Fielder was closer to arby. But even that is a season by season process, so who knows what happens?

Take the money and run. In 4 years, he'll either be retierd and counting his money or he'll be getting ready for a new contract that dwarfs this one. Either way he's insanely rich and will have more money than anyone needs.

This is a great deal for the Diamondbacks. It's basically the same years and money that we're paying Suppan, and Haren is pitching fantastic. That said, it doesn't seem to be that big of a risk. Sure, signing pitchers to long-term deals is always risky, but the dollar amount isn't nearly as much as Haren would have commanded on the open market with multiple teams competing for his services. Am I wrong or was Haren under D'back control for one more year? Either way, a big plus for their organization.

I really don't see the point in Haren signing this deal unless he is a member of that rare breed of athlete that isn't always wooed by the gigantic contract. If he's just happy in Arizona and wanted to stay there, I like him even more now.

I really don't see the point in Haren signing this deal unless he is a member of that rare breed of athlete that isn't always wooed by the gigantic contract. If he's just happy in Arizona and wanted to stay there, I like him even more now.

Because now no matter what happens he has a ton of money for the rest of his life. And if he survives this contract the next one will make him even sillier wealthy. Same reason Braun signed his deal. He *could* make more, but that employs risk. Why bother risk when you have nothing (compared to what you're offered) when it's comparable to your potential?

It's a great deal for ARI if he stays healthy. As others have said, $45M is a lot for any pitcher, who could be a single pitch away from being a shell of himself.

Yea well if any team wants to keep quality pitching, they have no choice but to assume some risk. Given the monster cash though that really good pitchers like Haren currently get now and those salaries will only rise, great deal for Arizona. It's only a four year deal, not say six, and they get relatively his prime years. At 12.5 for the last two years, that what Suppan gets to pitch like a 5th starter.

They will regret this almost for sure, he has thrown way too many innings way too early adn his peripherals suggest solid #3 with maybe #2 upside and his pay is fully aimed at #1/#2 quality.

While he may have thrown too many innings early in his career I don't see how they're paying him like a #1 or #2 starter and I don't see how he's a solid #3 with only #2 potential.

Over the next four years he'll be making $41.25 million and they'll have a $15.5 million club option. So basically Jeff Suppan money, I don't see how that is being paid like an ace. As far as his peripherals go, he's pitched 599.1 innings the past two + years and 3.38 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 7.65 K/9 and 1.86 BB/9. His FIPs have been solid over the past two + years as well at 4.12, 3.70 and 2.78.

I think this is a fantastic deal for the Diamondbacks.

They will regret this almost for sure, he has thrown way too many innings way too early adn his peripherals suggest solid #3 with maybe #2 upside and his pay is fully aimed at #1/#2 quality.

I think the Pitcher Ranking can get overstated. If healthy, a #4 starter gets as many starts as a #1, right? If Haren is projected to be an average to above average pitcher and he will be one of the top 5 SP on the team and his deal is market value, than this is a good deal assuming Haren stays healthy. That's a lot of ifs, but that's what a baseball team has to work with. IMO, the Pitcher Ranking only matters when it comes to the playoffs and a true ace can shut down a team. Haren probably isn't that guy, he gives up too many hits and HR, but he's a guy that should be able to help a team get to the playoffs.

I just don't think this is a deal that will keep the Dbacks from making a move they want to make in the future. Deals like the EByrnes contract are the ones that can hamstring a team.

While he may have thrown too many innings early in his career I don't see how they're paying him like a #1 or #2 starter and I don't see how he's a solid #3 with only #2 potential.

Over the next four years he'll be making $41.25 million and they'll have a $15.5 million club option. So basically Jeff Suppan money, I don't see how that is being paid like an ace. As far as his peripherals go, he's pitched 599.1 innings the past two + years and 3.38 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 7.65 K/9 and 1.86 BB/9. His FIPs have been solid over the past two + years as well at 4.12, 3.70 and 2.78.

I think this is a fantastic deal for the Diamondbacks.

They already had him signed for 2 years though. This is a 2 year $32M contract extension with the final 2 years being the only ones that decide whether the deal is good or bad. I think they'll regret it.

Ahhhhhh...I feel just sick. Basically the same contract as Soup's. And he got it two years after Suppan signed. Where's the inflation? Man oh man did we overpay. I wonder if Haren's contract depresses the pitching market by a few percent. I think the player's union is going to be angry at Haren. Huge win for the Diamondbacks

No it isn't, they are paying him more for the next two seasons as well. Its an ok deal, but hardly a huge win for the DBacks.

They're giving him a $2M raise next year and a $1.5M raise in 2010. Hardly something to get worked up about and hardly something that will prevent them from making other moves. Honestly, if this is a terrible deal for the Diamondbacks then what the hell is our deal with Suppan called?

This is a 2 year $32M contract extension

No it's not. It's a 2 year $25.5M extension with a $15.5M club option.

No it is 2 year $32M. They would have paid him a little over $12M for 2 years, now they are paying him just under $45M for 4 years. That is a 2 year, $32M extension.

I'm not saying it is a bad deal for them, I just think they'll regret it because I don't think he is going to stay an ace level pitcher and it will surprise me more if he stays healthy than if he has some problems in the next 4 years given his work loads in oakland.

My fuzzy math would be that is a two year extension for $32.5 M. So in my opinion it isn't a great DBack signing, but the usual cost of doing business.

I would take the total of his new contract (plus buyout) less his current contract - since they had him signed for two more years anyways.

No it is 2 year $32M. They would have paid him a little over $12M for 2 years, now they are paying him just under $45M for 4 years. That is a 2 year, $32M extension.

I'm not saying it is a bad deal for them, I just think they'll regret it because I don't think he is going to stay an ace level pitcher and it will surprise me more if he stays healthy than if he has some problems in the next 4 years given his work loads in oakland.

They say the deal is worth $41.25M over four years. So he was going to be paid $12.25M over the next two years, so it would be $29M over two years.

Still, you don't think this is a good deal? He's still being paid below market value throughout the whole deal (unless you think he's the same as Jeff Suppan.) I just don't see this as some huge risk. It's not like they're paying him $15-17M a year with this, the average is a little over $10M.

It isn't fuzzy math it is just math. They are either giving him 2 years at $16M or 3 years at $15M depending on whether they trigger the extension or not and if he blows his arm out in the next 2 years they give him $32M for nothing at all. The next 2 years don't matter at all as they had him under contract very cheaply for those two years already.

I don't think it is a bad deal per se, I think they will regret it because I don't have a lot of faith in Haren 3 years from now.

Archived