Brewer Fanatic

8/5/08 Non-Brewers IGT

bucksman4

Watching the Cubs game today has made me realize the Brewers are easily a few tiers below this team. The WAY they score runs is what separates them from us. Their high batting averages, OBP's, and the way they execute with runners in scoring position and utlize the bunt to score runs playing small ball is awesome. They are beating Wandy's Astros 6-1 in the 3rd and I found it very telling to see the inning's play-by-play in how they scored 4 2nd inning runs...

Bottom 2nd: Chi Cubs

- H. Blanco doubled to left
- R. Harden reached on bunt single to pitcher, H. Blanco to third
- A. Soriano singled to left, H. Blanco scored, R. Harden to second
- R. Theriot popped bunt out to pitcher
- D. Lee singled to right, R. Harden to third, A. Soriano to second
- A. Ramirez walked, R. Harden scored, A. Soriano to third, D. Lee to second
- R. Johnson hit sacrifice fly to deep center, A. Soriano scored
- M. DeRosa singled to left, D. Lee scored, A. Ramirez to second
- K. Fukudome flied out to deep left

Timely hitting, executing bunts, taking WALKS, hitting sacrifice flys to score runs, and not relying on hitting even one HR in the process. Very impressive and definitely an approach we do not take.

To be fair I'm sure Harden was attempting to get himself out and he either accidentally laid down a really good bunt or the Astros messed something up. Theriot also popped out bunting so I'm not sure how that's "executing" bunts when only 1/2 of them are successful. Sac flies just happen to be fly balls hit at least moderately deep.

Some good points, Glennron. My point is you see the Cubs do this all the time and are just a clutch team. Heck, we saw it firsthand against us last week. They're just a better baseball team than the Brewers. Any way you slice it, they have us overmatched. Harden basically nullified anything we gained in the CC deal.

I certainly agree the Cubs have the much better offensive approach. I don't think they're "clutch", rather they lead the NL in BA/OBP/SLG so they get hits in all situations.

Meanwhile the 'Stros cut it to 1 run...

Carpenter made his return tonight and looked good (going by stats). This could be a huge "acqusition" for the Cardinals down the stretch but I would have to imagine that he couldn't go more than 5/6 or pitch more than 90 pitches coming off the huge operation.

OK, it's 4-3 now. Wow, the Cards bullpen really reminds me of the Brewers last year. It just seems no matter the consequence, they just can't get it done. Franklin is coming in now, bases still loaded, one out. Watch this one if you can guys. This is going to be good.

Gamecast just had him tag up to second on a fly to right field, is that right? I guess I can't blame him for doing it...but it gave the Dodgers every reason to intentionally walk Pujols

Really hope the Dodgers can bat in the 10th...all the momentum is on their side and this has the makings of a deflating loss for the Cards...or the opposite if they win...

Anyone see this guy for the Orioles pitch an 8-inning one-hitter so far. Apparently he';s 27 and making his major league debut. I'm glad to see someone besides the Brewers struggle with these kind of pitchers.

Archived