Brewer Fanatic

Arizona and Hawaii Fall Leagues -- Latest: Official Hawaii List, AFL Updates

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We're hearing some rumblings from West Virginia and elsewhere that some players may have already been told they are under consideration for Hawaiian League spots.

Thought it would be interesting to speculate on who may fill the three spots there, and we'll say four spots (for now) in Arizona. Keep in mind starting pitchers who haven't missed a start all season will be a tough sell, which is why I don't think you'll see Evan Anundsen in Hawaii, for instance.

My guesses:

Hawaii -- OF Caleb Gindl, 2B Eric Farris, LHP Bobby Bramhall (darkhorses RHP's Jeremy Jeffress and Corey Frerichs, and oh yes, wouldn't Brett Lawrie make some sense here)

Arizona -- OF Michael Brantley, OF Lorenzo Cain, 1B Chris Errecart, RHP Joe Bateman

Play along...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only 2 guys I'm pretty sure will see time are Cain and Lawrie, and I only expect Brett play because he didn't get any professional time this season. AZ especially always has a surprise or 2 thrown in, but I agree that Brantley is a logical choice given his level and he's lost time to injury. Jeffress and/or Braddock might make sense pending innings limits and Braddock's lost DL time (again) but seem doubtful to me, typically the Brewers send relievers don't they? I echo Pogo in that I'd like to see Fryer get some time and Gindl has been on such a tear that it seems logical he'd do Hawaii as well.

Salome wouldn't surprise me either now that I think about AZ, there's lot of guys that could use the experience.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

AZ tends to have 6 players. I think I've done alright with predictions the last two years. Since AFL players have to have been in AA, I'll say:

3b Matt Gamel

1b/OF Michael Brantley --if traded, I'll say Cole Gillespie

C Angel Salome

RP Mike Jones

I need to think of two more pitchers. I included Jones cause the Crew usually sends one Bausher/Wolfe reclamation project. This A+ pitcher they just signed last week might make sense (can't remember his name).

The Brewers have sent there top prospects in the past.

I say the 1, 3, and 4 hitters from Huntslvlle. Gamel, Brantley, and Salome for AFL. For pitchers I'd guess Miller, Agillera, and Hand. Welch and Wright will have too many innings already. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Mike Jones could figure here.

Then the 2, 3, 4 hitters from BC. Brewer, Lucroy, Green. For pitchers, Jeffress, Brahmal, and hopefully Braddock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Mike Jones will be a minor league free agent this fall. He's not getting added to the 40-man roster, so he would have to agree to a minor league deal (like he did last fall) and his 9th year in the system. Given the extreme patience the Brewers have shown with him this year, perhaps the relationship could continue, but I wouldn't think so unless a major success breakthrough happens in the next four weeks.

Some things to keep in mind. Only one player per organization with no AA experience prior to August 1st (at least in past years). To me that person could be Green or Jeffress.

I think that Derek Miller could be one of the pitchers. As for Aguillar, I believe he's foreign and foreign players generally only play in the AFL if the teams in their native country opt not to sign them.

As for Jones, it would make sense to me because he'd be making up for some lost time, he's a reclamation project, and the Crew has kept him for this long, why not at least keep him through the AFL?

So my revised picks:

3b Gamel

CF/1b/dh Brantley/Gillespie

C Salome

P Jones

P D. Miller

P Ellison/Wahpepah

It just occurred to me that both Fryer and Lawrie couldn't play in Hawaii together... duh.

Even though he didn't any professional experience this year I'll be that Lawrie just goes to instructionals and the Brewer Brass figures out where the young man fits. I found it interesting that Z didn't commit to Lawrie catching, but I'm sure they'll start him there. I'm really looking forward to following Trejo and Lawrie next year, both of whom will have lost a year professionally, which admittedly is a bigger deal for Trejo because at least Lawrie has been playing and will face pretty stiff competition in the next couple of weeks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

... foreign players generally only play in the AFL if the teams in their native country opt not to sign them

Latin players usually don't play in the AFL (though Enrigue Cruz did as an injury replacement for Hardy). My question is, do Canadians play in the AFL?

Another thing to remember is, the teams sign up position slots, not players. So the Brewers would likely sign up a catcher, a CF, and a 3B for the AFL. If Salome wasn't available, Lucroy could easily go. If Lucroy can't go to Hawawii, Fryer could easily go there. If Brantley is traded, Cain could go. However, if Gamel wasn't available, they wouldn't have a worthy replacement, unless they sent Green, who might be traded. Because of that, they might not sign up for a 3B slot in Hawaii. For Hawaii I'll guess a catcher, a SS (Brewer 1st, then Farris) and an OF, where they could send Fryer to get ABs, and if he has to fill the catcher slot, then Gindl.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Jeffress seems to make sense because of lost time, Salome too. Gamel in AZ seems logical, but I thought X mentioning Welch was a good call. It would sure be a good place to see if he is finally putting it all together(isn't he 25 now?), or just having one hot year, with a bunch of fortunate circumstances swirling around him. If Welch is truly as good as his no hitter and his W-L record, it would be a wonderful bolt out of the blue for the Brewers. One thing about Welch and Wright to consider, they both look like they'll have 150+ innings pitched this year. THe Brewers will make a decision on each, as to how far they want to stretch them out.

With Salome's lost time this year he makes a lot of sense in AFL, as does Jeffress. Brantley, Aguilar, Salome, Jeffress in AFL?

Dark horse for Hawaii - Casey Baron. He'll get some looks as a future LOOGY, so they may want to see him pitch more. Other dark horse for Hawaii - Andy Bouchie. Because of LuCroy he hasn't gotten a lot of plate appearances. A little early to give up on the former 7th round pick. Cody might be another pitcher who they might want to see throw some more innings due to lost time.

I heard Jeremy Jeffress is going to AFL.

The MiLB.com article regarding Jeffress' promotion to Huntsville speculates that the move is to keep Jeffress eligible for the AFL. I sure hope he goes...

I think Gindl will go to Hawaii. I hope it does for him what it did for Gamel.

Is Brantley definately not the PTBNL then? Or am I reading too much into this since the Brewers are already working on the AFL roster slots?

- Plato

- Plato

... foreign players generally only play in the AFL if the teams in their native country opt not to sign them

Latin players usually don't play in the AFL (though Enrigue Cruz did as an injury replacement for Hardy). My question is, do Canadians play in the AFL?

Another thing to remember is, the teams sign up position slots, not players. So the Brewers would likely sign up a catcher, a CF, and a 3B for the AFL. If Salome wasn't available, Lucroy could easily go. If Lucroy can't go to Hawawii, Fryer could easily go there. If Brantley is traded, Cain could go. However, if Gamel wasn't available, they wouldn't have a worthy replacement, unless they sent Green, who might be traded. Because of that, they might not sign up for a 3B slot in Hawaii. For Hawaii I'll guess a catcher, a SS (Brewer 1st, then Farris) and an OF, where they could send Fryer to get ABs, and if he has to fill the catcher slot, then Gindl.

Alcides Escobar filled in for Hardy, not Cruz....unless we are talking about different years.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Are the leagues similar in their level of play?

davego, the Hawaiian League is for lower-level prospects (think Brevard and West Virginia) while the Arizona Fall League would be made up of AAA, AA, and a very small sprinkling of high-A players.

Archived